Author Topic: Looking for 2 lost ships 1826 & 1829  (Read 10076 times)

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 2 lost ships 1826 & 1829
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 29 August 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
I think the letter referred to in the Knysna book may be the one on the NAAIRS site - key in www.national.archsrch.gov.za - click on RSA - key in Butler with date 1827 - R. Butler submitting a certain account of his - this would be in the Cape Town Archives.

Offline HistoriCarl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 29 April 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am a direct descendant of John McKenzie Johnson and would like to clarify the story of the Harmony as per my own research at the Knysna Museum with the kind hjelp of the most well informed curator although I am sorry to say that I do not remember her name.

He was Port Master under the employ of the Royal Navy and indeed the Port was his responsibility and there was an investigation after the fact in which not only did they find that he had forewarned of insufficient manning and equipment and that he had insisted that they provide a budget for the necessary improvements urgently, they also gave him a commendation for the heroic rescue of every soul aboard the Harmony with only a row boat and a coxwain.

I see that you made reference to Mr. Rex and this is nice confirmation of what we infered: among the passengers was none other than George Rex, the founder of Knysna's commercial forestry and a most notable figure in the history of the famous little town. So in fact John McKenzie was a hero who went on to have a distinguished career.

I believe that the ship herself still lies on the sand in the center of the beguiling tranquility of the Knysna heads (there is definitely a wreck there but I am not 100 percent sure it is the Harmony). Having lived there for many years I can say with absolute certainty that it is well worth the trip to see for yourself.

Keep Well
Carl Johnson

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Carl,

Thank you for your post. Have you got more information about the Harmony? Her loss? Her captain? Everything about this wreck could be helpful for me, because my ancestor was her captain, but for now, he is very unknown. I always look for his birthplace and the year he was born, but it's very difficult (I'm living in France, so far away from Knysna, Cape and South African coasts!)

Regards.

Offline dogsbody2z

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 13 May 19 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Carl Johnson. I am also a direct descendant of John McKenzie Johnson. I have a good deal of info our John. He was harbour master at the time of the Harmony wreck. He wrote 2 letters to the paper and kept diaries of his time in Knysna. I accessed most of my info from the CP Nel museum in George who had a whole box of family history on the Johnsons and the Howells. I now live in Sydney and am battling various websites to get info as I would like to put to bed a lot of family myths re John. He sold property to George Rex when he left George on 3rd October 1829. He acted as Clerk to George Rex - 23rd November 1832.
John was clerk to the Magistrate at George in 1830. So glad I found you.
Rosemary Perry, father- Young, maternal g-mother - Johnson