Author Topic: Looking for 2 lost ships 1826 & 1829  (Read 10041 times)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 2 lost ships 1826 & 1829
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 December 12 13:11 GMT (UK) »
While looking on the occupations section of this site I came across the link for mariners as http://www.nmm.ac.uk 

Perhaps they can help!

Nookie
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 December 12 14:03 GMT (UK) »
While looking on the occupations section of this site I came across the link for mariners as http://www.nmm.ac.uk 

Perhaps they can help!

Nookie

Thank you for this link.  :)
I've found some information about ancestors on NMM but not for these two ships.   :-\
On Ancestry24, I've found that Thomas' captain could be 'Robert' Butler (but I'm looking for a 'Richard' Butler), but I can't really verify by myself and I would like to.

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 January 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
The Cape Town Gazette & African Advertiser, Friday July 8th, 1825:
Arrivals in Table Bay:
6th July  "Harmony", English Brig, Richard Butler, Master, from the Downs 6th April, cargo Sundries from London for the Cape.   [Lists passengers]

also:
For Freight or Charter, to St Helena, Rio de Janeiro, or the Mauritius, the Brig "Harmony", R. Butler, Master, (A. 1.) newly coppered;  burthen about 200 Tons; has superior Accommodations for Passengers. - For further particulars apply to J. W. Stuckeris, Keerom-street.

The Cape Town Gazette & African Advertiser, Friday July 29th, 1825:
Sailed out of Table Bay:
26th July  "Harmony", English Brig, Richard Butler, Master, bound to Simon's Bay in Ballast, in order to heave down the Ship "Mountaineer" in that Port.

He then returned to Table Bay.   He left for St Helena & Rio de Janeiro on 14th September and returned on 26 December 1825.   He departed Table Bay for Knysna on 6 January 1826, returning to Cape Town on 1 February.   He left again for Knysna on 25 February and was then wrecked on the 13th March (though there is no reference to the shipwreck in this source).

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 January 13 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Sandy!!!  :) :)

Now I know that the captain of this brig is really named 'Richard' and he could be mine!

Could you tell me what does '(A. 1)' mean?

Thank you very much!

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 January 13 22:30 GMT (UK) »
In English A1 would normally mean First Class in my humble opinion, A2 Second Class etc.

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 January 13 09:31 GMT (UK) »
In English A1 would normally mean First Class in my humble opinion, A2 Second Class etc.

Regards Derek

Thank you Derek.  :)

Sincerely.

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 March 13 07:55 GMT (UK) »
According to Malcolm Turner's Shipwrecks and Salvage in South Africa, the Harmony wreck was reported in the South African Commercial Advertiser, 22, 29 March 1826. Perhaps there's a chance the captain's first name was mentioned in the reports. You would need help from someone, not necessarily at the Cape, SA, with access to copies of the newspaper: The National Archives Kew holds originals up to mid 1850s; microfiche copies available at Colindale.
Mole
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 March 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your answer,

Could I ask you 2 questions:

First : Have you got this book "Malcolm Turner's Shipwrecks and Salvage in South Africa" and could you tell me what it said about the Harmony? Is there any description about her loss?

Then, where could I find online issue for South African Commercial Advertiser?

Thank you in advance.
Sincerely.

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 March 13 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes I do have Turner's book but probably nothing said about the Harmony is 'new' to you:

<Harmony: British snow of 168 t, built 1817, commanded by Capt R Butler [no first name given]. Wrecked 13 March 1826 while leaving the Knysna Heads. No lives were lost.
Sources:  Lloyds Register of Shipping, 1826; South African Commercial Advertiser, 22, 29 March 1826.>

As far as I know, the SA Commercial Advertiser is not available online. You'd need a researcher to look at, for example, the microfilms at Colindale UK or the originals held at National Archives Kew UK, or, in South Africa at the SA Library, Cape Town. Since the precise dates of the reports are given in Turner's sources, it should be possible for such a search to be done and not too time-consuming/expensive.

Incidentally there is no information in Turner on the Thomas - the other ship you're looking for.

Mole
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)