Author Topic: Booth and Fox Cork  (Read 7573 times)

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Booth and Fox Cork
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pinkfoot2,

I presume you are referring to the John Bradley Booth who died in 1905.  I have a photo of his headstone in my database if you would like a copy I can give you my email address by PM.  You can't send private messages at the moment as you only have one post on rootschat.

This is the census return for him in 1901.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/No__6_Urban__South_Centre/South_Mall__part_of_/1110368/

His wife's maiden name was Sunner.  They married in 1868.  You could order their marriage certificate from the General Register office , Convent Road, Roscommon , Ireland  You will get the reference numbers when you click on the one you want.   If you ask for a photocopy for genealogy purposes it costs €4 as against the full official one which costs €20.   You need to send the details of a credit or debit card so they can deduct the cost.  It means you will be giving them the card number, expiry date and the secure code on reverse of card.  I do it regularly and they are really efficient.  I ordered some last Thursday and I received them this morning, really fast.

John Bradley Booth's father's name was John Booth, and Jane Sunner's father's name was Richard.
There are many references to Richard Sunner of Cork just google him.

Below is the link to the www.familysearch.org site where the Irish birth marriage and death record references are available.   The following are the records connected to Jane Sunner - her marriage to John Bradley Booth and some birth records for their children.

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajane~%20%2Bsurname%3Asunner~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Acork~

One of John Bradley Booth's children was Richard Sunner Booth living at Altona  Place Cork.  (Spelling of Altond incorrect on census).
One of Richard's children was named after his grandfather John Bradley Booth.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__5_Urban/Altond_Place/394899/

Your John Bradley Booth was born in Bandon and was a Methodist.  The records for the Methodist are held in Belfast.    You could contact the church in Bandon and they might be able to help you.

http://www.bandonmethodist.org/home/contactus.php

Hope my reply is some help to you.

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline Pinkfoot2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 January 15 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,
Thank you for the information. I am trying to find out more about John Booth  - John Bradley Booth's  (1841 - 1905) father and mother - possibly might be called Eliza. My Grandfather Rev. Dr. Robin T. Booth died in Cork on 22/06/1912 following complications after an operation.

Offline jgb113

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 February 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all who view this thread,
jmol17 and I have a common interest in Amos Booth and also Booth & Fox, I hate to disappoint Pinkfoot2 and Celtic Liberty but your Booth line is not related to that connected to the Company or to the Booths who came from Derbyshire
For lemmontart "Greetings long distant cousin" To explain John Booth of Chapel-en-le-Frith Derbyshire had 3 sons and many daughters John Peter Booth (b. 1805)  left CelF for Ireland in the late 1820s/early 30s  and was joined by his Bro in Law Adam Fox (wife Mary Booth married 1832 in Manchester) In Partnership they established Booth & Fox which ran as a successful Company well into the 20th century making bedding, inventing the down quilt and providing these type of goods throughout the Empire.
John Peter's brother Amos also went to Ireland in the mid 30s where he probably traded as a feather dealer which was his calling when he returned to Manchester in h 1850s. We do not know if he worked for Booth & Fox or was a supplier a mystery. Both jmol17 and I are descendents of Amos albeit of different sons.
The formal partnership between the owners was legally disolved in the late 1850s (London Gazette)   but both families still had members who were involved in running the business, the Booth involvement tapered off later in the 19th century  but the Fox family who were cousins of the Booths carried on the business.
There are lots of references to the company on the web but I have not been able to establish when it ceased trading or what happened to the company archives.
In Derbyshire the Booths and Foxes were much entwined since Hannah, wife of the original John Booth, after several years a widow married Adam Fox her husbands executor and father of her daughter Mary's husband so becoming mother in law as well as mother to her daughter.

I think I had better stop there. There is a lot of info. available about the Fox family in Derbyshire.

jgb113

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 February 15 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
 I don't have any connection to Booth or Fox. I had some headstone photos which I sent to some of the posters here when contacted by PM.

Just trying to help.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline RosyBooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Sorry for the late addition to this thread.  John Peter is my 3 x great grandfather.  I don't know whether this is any use to you but I have a "possible marriage" for Amos in the Ireland Catholic Parish Registers 1655-1915 but the spelling of the name is wrong it's been transcribed as Emirs Booth marriage date April 1846 in Suttons, Wexford, Ireland, wife Anastatia Shelloe.  I've not had a chance to check the original document so this might be a red herring but worth a look.  I linked up to it as maybe a spelling mistake as I have had a few of those and although the Booth family were Church of England I was unsure whether Anastatia may have been catholic.

Offline jgb113

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi RosyBooks,
As near as I can make out you are my 4th cousin once removed given that John Peter Booth is your 3 x Great grandfather.
Thanks for the reply, jmol and I had become aware of this wedding which is correct despite the misspelling (if you put on a thick accent Emirs is phonetically perfect for Amos!) when the Irish parish registers were issued some months ago.
It was curious because I found the wedding and let jmol know but then went away for some days meanwhile she had found the baptism of 3 of the children some 3 weeks prior to the wedding at the same church. Still haven't worked that one out!

Many thanks for thinking of us and do let me know if there is any information we can provide you with about other parts of the Booth family. You probably have some other information that may be helpful to us from your own researches but historically the Booths do not really seem to have been a "close" family. I'll be in touch later if that's ok when I have gathered my thoughts.

Regards

jgb113

Offline RosyBooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I've only fairly recently discovered my link to the Booths as I was at a brick wall with Harriet Hannah Roath my 2 x g grandmother who turned out to be Harriet Hannah Booth, yet another spelling mistake. 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Name   HARRIETT HANNAH BOOTH
Date of Event   1861
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Cork
Returns Year   1861
Returns Quarter   1
Returns Volume No   4
Returns Page No   470

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 22:01 GMT (UK) »
 Birth, Marriage and Death results for Booth of Cork from 1845 to

Displaying results 1 - 94 of 94. irishgenealogy

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jes/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.