Author Topic: Can you help me solve my mystery??  (Read 11753 times)

Offline blatch2004

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me solve my mystery??
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 November 12 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Found on the National Archives site..... so i'm guessing if the marriage had been annulled she would still of had to have waited to remarry

6.4 Annulment

An annulment was a form of legal separation which protected the wife's rights and kept the children legitimate, but neither party could remarry unless the other died. The husband or wife could subsequently apply to the church court for a declaration of nullity

I've just had the her 3rd marriage certificate come thru yay...... listed as widow, although she was a widow from her first marriage so still none the wiser ..

Does anyone know what might be meant by Four E.G.S.... or thats what i looks like its written before the certificate starts?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 November 12 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Found on the National Archives site..... so i'm guessing if the marriage had been annulled she would still of had to have waited to remarry

6.4 Annulment

An annulment was a form of legal separation which protected the wife's rights and kept the children legitimate, but neither party could remarry unless the other died. The husband or wife could subsequently apply to the church court for a declaration of nullity

I think you will find that this applied to the situation before 1858 and separations granted via church courts. The Matrimonial Causes Act 1857 reformed the law on divorce, moving litigation from the jurisdiction of the ecclesiastical courts to the civil courts.
For the parties to be free to marry again there must have been a decree absolute of dissolution of marriage, or the former marriage must have been declared null and void by a court of competent jurisdiction, unless the first marriage was in fact null and void.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 November 12 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know what might be meant by Four E.G.S.... or thats what i looks like its written before the certificate starts?

What do you mean by "before the certificate starts". Do you mean in column 1?

Stan

Offline blatch2004

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 November 12 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan before the certificate starts on the outside I would of imagined it was in the margin of the original book

Ros

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 November 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
 I think it means there was a correction (spelling mistake or similar) on the certificate, which should have a little number 4 beside it.  The 4 EGS means that someone with the initials EGS corrected it.  It's to show it was a bona fide correction and that the certificate wasn't tampered with at a later date
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 November 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that all corrections of a minor nature occurring at the time of the entry in the register have to be numbered, and initialed, in the margin, obviously to prevent someone coming along later and altering an entry. Therefore, in this case, the correction would have been made at the time it was entered and this is the 4th such correction in the register. However the number and initials should be in the right hand margin of the certificate, as instructed by the Registrar General, and not on the side the certificate is attached to the book.

Stan

Offline daveh1234

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 January 15 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, well i have one certificate back

Elsie Mabel Angel born 6th August 1903 Fullham infirmary......no father listed
Mother Maud Ethel Mary Angel a general servant domestic of 30 Mardale Street Hammersmith Resisdence is lited as Fullham Infirmary Fullham.

so... if Elsie is listed as being Agnes Granddaughter Maud must be Agnes daughter.... another certificate to send for to confirm this

Maud is listed as being resident at Fullham Infirmary does that mean she was living at the workhouse?

Maud is listed as a general servant, domestic at 30 Mardale Street ..... this is where Agnes was living... really!!! working for her mother but not living there

Now for a question where has Maud been since 1883 which is where i find her birth .. shes not living with her mother in 1891 or 1901 and i cant find her anywhere else.......

I used to be so good at this ...i'm losing my sense of out of the box thinking

Any help much apprieciated

Regards
Hi my father lived in Mardale St (24) . It was condemned in 1919 and eventually knocked down in 1939 ish. Bed bugs (steam tugs in rhyming slang were part of life unfortunately).  hope this helps. They then went to live in Emlyn Gardens Hammersmith