Author Topic: Kirby Rioters 1830  (Read 5635 times)

Offline coelmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kirby Rioters 1830
« on: Monday 05 November 12 14:14 GMT (UK) »
The brothers James, Thomas and John Grant were all sent to Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania) on the Eliza in 1831 for machine breaking.
I know what happened to Thomas's wife Sarah - she is my g-g-grannie.
I know John was single when he left England.
James had married to Sarah Sallows at Kirby in 1829, and had Mary 1830, and Sarah 1831 was born after he left England.
I can't find Sarah (mum), Mary or Sarah (dau) anywhere.
Has anyone out there found anything of them?
Has anyone in Tasmania found anything on Jim, Tom or Jack?
I would love to know, please.
Coelmar
Davidson & Young in Ayrshire::  Deacon in Beds:: Hawkins & Young in Berks::  Grant, Hammond & Southgate in Essex::  Punter & Sorrell in London:: Dennison in Suffolk & Yorks

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kirby Rioters 1830
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 November 12 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coelmar
                      I do not live far from Kirby,and I knew of the riots that took place there but never looked them up,your posting made me do just that,I will not go into detail but I think you should look at The Kirby Riots by Malcolm Batty,it is on line,he has some interesting details which may help your research,maybe after you read it ,you will reply as I am interested in hearing about it.

Offline coelmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear geno500
     Thanks.    I have read Malcolm Batty's book, and I have looked at a number of Tasmanian/Australian sites which have all thrown up lovely information, but none on the three brothers after their time was up!    'Founders and Survivors' site in Australia has descriptions of the three - height, complexion, visage, nose etc including tattoos, and TNA HO10 and HO11 series gives details of their transportation.     'Black Sheep Search' site has background on the whole matter as well as details of the convicts.
     I haven't been able to trace James' wife and family after 1830, and I now find that John had a wife - May - so I will be starting to trace her.
     However, my main interest is in Thomas in Tasmania (Van Diemans Land) as he is a direct ancestor.
Coelmar
Davidson & Young in Ayrshire::  Deacon in Beds:: Hawkins & Young in Berks::  Grant, Hammond & Southgate in Essex::  Punter & Sorrell in London:: Dennison in Suffolk & Yorks

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 12 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you also accessed Jill Chambers' research?

http://webspace.mypostoffice.co.uk/~jillchambers/homepage.html

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coelmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 12 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valda
     Thanks, yes I have, Black Sheep Search is another name for her site!
     I have also found "Lowe, Golding, Grant, Kirby le Soken" on Parish Chest which is also pertinent as my son-in-law is a descendant of the Buxton (Norfolk) Lowes.     Haven't yet made a provable connection, however.     Probably never will after 170 years, but I keep trying.
     I am very aware of Hertfordshire Genealogy's "Right Name, Wrong Body" topic, and tend to treat anything before 1800 as only perhaps rather than probable.
     Kirby le Soken parish register shows that John Grant was married to Mary Mowles on 25 December 1829, he was convicted 6 December 1830.   Haven't yet found children.
    John had a brother Amos - who kept out of the troubles - who was married to Maria Mowles.    Haven't yet looked into whether the two were related.   I have found a cousin in New Zealand descended from Amos.     But the cousin moved there in the early 1970s, so can't help with convicts.
     But I still can't find James or John wives or children after 1830.
Anyway, thanks again
Coelmar

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 12 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You say in your first post John was single. Look for a remarriage for James' wife with the daughters if they survived appearing on censuses in their stepfather's name and their married names.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lilylala

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 December 12 03:15 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Hello
I have aTAS record,only mention of Thomas GRANT died Hobart age 73  03/12/1887
occ.labourer
diedat Pauper Establishment New Town  Hobart.

nil mention parents, wife, children.

This Thomas (born approx 1814) was also reported as younger than your Thomas. However I thought it may be of interest for later reference.

He may have made his way to the Goldfields to try his luck, have you searched TROVE for any reports of his movements?

cheers
Eileen
Bronstein - Ukraine & Paris
Luscombe  - Devon & Australia
Horner -  Potterspury NorthHamptonshire & Warwickshire
Moss  -    Cumberland & Australia
Hadley -  Staffordshire
Higgins  - Somerset
Barras  -Durham
Piercy - Oxfordshire
Bauer -  Germany
Percy - Sussex
Felton - Northumberland
Parris -Dorset
Stier - Australia & Germany
La Zouche -UK
Holland -Lancashire
Segrave
Longaspee
Stanley - Lancashire
Goushill -Nottingshire
Mandeville - Essex
Fitz Allen - Sussex
Salmesbury - Lancashire
Stutteridge

Offline coelmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 December 12 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Lilylala
     Many thanks for your interest and research.     As you say the Thomas you have found is some 14 years younger than mine, but you never know!.
     I will look at TROVE, I would love to find something on at least one of the three brothers.
Coelmar

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 December 12 19:01 GMT (UK) »
James Grant married ELIZABETH Sallows in Kirby in 1829. Sarah Sallows was one of the witnesses.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk