Author Topic: Problems with names  (Read 948 times)

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Problems with names
« on: Monday 05 November 12 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancient Family Tree printout provided to my family in years gone by.

Most of the information, I found to be correct but in a family of three children the eldest was shown as the youngest with no date of birth and all I could find when I checked was  that he appeared on the 1911 census as a 6 year old. No birth date.  No record of baptism in local church. Nothing.

Lateral thnking made me look at his grandfather and father's names.Thomas and William ( the boy in question was listed as a Gwilym).
Ok , I put in to search for Thomas William Davies, and William Thomas Davies.  Nothing.  Tried Thomas Gwilym and bingo  Had a place of birth and a date that tied in perfectly, appear before my very eyes. I was gobsmacked.

Moral of story try and try again.  Sandra

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with names
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Great advice Sandra  :)

I bet you were thrilled to find him and hopefully the birth certificate confirmed it.

Best Wishes
Morgan

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with names
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 12 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Have not got over the shock yet. Will have a look at birth certificate one day.

The Church Minister was gob smacked as he had been hunting for the boy's baptism for yonks.  they were friends.

Cousins assured me that Gwilym had been buried and that one had attended the funeral and the other's parents had attended the funeral.  After much deliberation the Minister came up with perhaps it was a memorial service!  That graveyard is windswept and I had spent a long time tramping around looking for a grave.

No beginnings no ends but just the 1911 census.  You better believe I was more than happy when I found the right name.

I did know this relative in 1950s and 60s so it was really odd. He was not a myth.

I did find him in London with his wife Gwladys(cannot find anything on her) in Hans Mansions Kensington and with his daughter Carolyn in the electroral roll where he was supposed to be and he had changed his name to Thomas W. Anglised it no doubt.

I was in tears when I found is little sister's grave...Mary Hannah died aged 2 and half. That was 1911 an his father died 1910. How much can a little boy bear.

Hugs Sandra