Author Topic: Babington/Starkey in Nantwich area  (Read 5898 times)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Babington/Starkey in Nantwich area
« on: Monday 05 July 04 08:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone knows of the Babington/Starkey marriage in the Wrenbury, Nantwich area around 1550. An ancestor, Bruce Babington, who became Bishop of Derry, was born in Nantwich about 1558 the son of Richard Babington and Anne Starkey. Anne, from Wrenbury, was the daughter of Richard Starkey. Any information on these families would be most welcome.
Bruce Babington was also a prebendary at Lichfield cathedral and Vicar of Tettenhall in 1602. If anyone can add information about him it would be greatly appreciated.
Alex
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal

Offline philip wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Babington/Starkey in Nantwich area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 04 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have lots of Babingtons from Lichfield area and Whittington, linked to Anthony B who lost his head in the plot. they came from Dethick, Derbys. If I can help by looking anyone up, I will.Phil

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 December 04 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Philip
Sorry for the long delay as I have just seen your message.
Yes, I would be interested in the Babington information you have for Nantwich and Wrenbury. My connection is with Sir Anthony Babington not the later one who was beheaded.  Sir Anthony's  grandson Richard was born in Nantwich about 1528 and married Anne Starkey from Wrenbury. Their son was called Bruce or Brutus, born about 1557 in Nantwich.  Anne Starkey's father was Richard from Wrenbury or Stretton?
Bruce Babington went on to Cambridge in the 1570s, became a priest, was at Lichfield and a Rector in Leicestershire before becoming Bishop of Derry in 1610. I would be glad to see any information you have about these Babingtons and Starkeys of Nantwich and Wrenbury.
Regards,
Alex
PS If you can please write to my e-mail address.

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone knows of the Babington/Starkey marriage in the Wrenbury, Nantwich area around 1550. An ancestor, Bruce Babington, who became Bishop of Derry, was born in Nantwich about 1558 the son of Richard Babington and Anne Starkey. Anne, from Wrenbury, was the daughter of Richard Starkey. Any information on these families would be most welcome.
Bruce Babington was also a prebendary at Lichfield cathedral and Vicar of Tettenhall in 1602. If anyone can add information about him it would be greatly appreciated.
Alex
I quote an entry I wrote several years ago as I return to the subject now. Does anyone know of this Babington/ Starkey marriage in Wrenbury or Nantwich around 1550 or earlier? I understand there is some evidence that Richard Babington's father was named Robert and came from Chorley near
Wrenbury. Others online have Richard's father as Richard. Does anyone have access to the parish records of this area of Cheshire and can throw any light on this family or on the Babington/Starkey marriage?
Alex