Author Topic: Completed. Thank You-Norval's Studio 36, Primrose St., Alloa  (Read 4235 times)

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed. Thank You-Norval's Studio 36, Primrose St., Alloa
« on: Tuesday 06 November 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I recently saw the name of this studio on a old family photo. I think the picture may have been taken in the early 1900's. Is anyone familiar with this studio? Do you know when it was in business? The picture is B&W and glued on to a piece of cardboard with the name of the studio and its address at the bottom
Regards, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norval's Studio 36, Primrose St., Alloa
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
This site will sell you the info for 99p: http://www.victorianphotographers.co.uk/

You may well find this site useful http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/time/time.htm

If you post the photo and the back on here there will be experts who can help with dating....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »
There was a Norval's in nearby Dunfermline, established sometime between 1879 and 1885,possibly it was a branch of theirs.As Graham says post the front and back including edges and corners.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you GrahamSimons for giving me those two websites. Both were helpful especially the one which showed the fashions from the 1860's to 1950's. I can't wait to get a scanner so that the experts at Rootschat can verify my assumptions. Thanks for the tips, Graham and Seoras, on what to post for dating a picture.
Kind regards, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack