Author Topic: Calling all GLEESONS  (Read 18698 times)

Offline LloydG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all GLEESONS!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 November 12 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hey Jack! Thanks for going to all that trouble for me! It would be nice to think there are rellies of mine amongst them! Hopefully, a link will be found.
Unfortunately there hasn't been a lot of (believable!) family tales handed down about my Gleeson ancestry and I have no idea how long Thomas was in South Africa before meeting/marrying Charlotte. I have vague recollections of hearing that Charlotte had a brother who may have been an army buddy of Thomas' but... ??

Offline raymar429

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 June 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hello LloydG, I have only just seen your message. My name is Raymond Gleeson and I have found a Thomas Gleeson born in 1808 in Tipperary. He died in 1871. He had a son named John B-1845 D-1919.  His father was Thomas born in 1775 or 1777 and died in 1820. His mother was Ellen o'Dwyer B-1777 D-1820. I hope this helps.

Offline LloydG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 June 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Raymond! Always nice to hear from another Gleeson!
My Thomas Gleeson died in Auckland NZ in 1869, and I'm getting nowhere with the sketchy (and possibly inaccurate info I have.) If he lied about his age to join the Army, who knows what else might be questionable! Even his wife Charlotte Morris, and her sister Caroline (and a possible brother) are complete mysteries. My current thoughts are the Morris children may have been  sent out to South Africa from an Orphanage or Workhouse  'for a better life' by 'The Childrens Friends Society'. Meanwhile, all I can do is try my luck with other branches of my tree.
All the best to you,
Lloyd G

Offline raymar429

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Lloyd, sorry my repl was a little short but we had a small crisis nad I am glad that you have returned to me.
If you look at my Test Gleeson tree and my Gleeson family tree I have Included Thomas Gleeson for your information so please view I will leave the information on until you inform me that you have finished with it.
You are correct when you say he went to South Africa and that was where he married. Two children were born there the others were born in New Zealand. Thomas lived and died at Eden Terrace. I also know where that is because my wife and I spent a month in New Zealand in 2009. I have supported the All Blacks all my life together with Scotland. Hope this information helps.
Ray

Offline LloydG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all GLEESONS
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 22:33 BST (UK) »
Gosh Ray! Thanks so much! ...but I don't know how/where to find your trees. I'm not that all computer-savvy! Perhaps you could email them direct to me at (*) ? or even just the instructions for me to follow?
Best regards,
Lloyd
(According to my info, Frederick James was the only child born in South Africa - their second, Ellen Eliza, and the other six, were all born here.)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline raymar429

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Lloyd,

I will collate all the information that I have. I will print or gather it all so I can send it to your E Mail.
I will start with Thomas' father and then all information from there.
It may take a day or two but I will get on it straight away. 

Offline ClassicBurgo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 August 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone has a misplaced Daniel Gleeson born @1815 inTipperary. At the age of 27 he was found guilty of deserting the army in Montreal and was sentenced to transportation for 14 years. He arrived in Tasmania in August of 1843 & was sent to a probation gang at Buckland. 

This person is my 3 times great grandfather, I am having trouble trying to find any family info on him prior to coming to Tasmania.

If anyone can help I would be much appreciated, who knows I may be one of your cousins and we don't even know it LOL

Regards
Tim

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 09:09 GMT (UK) »
My brief Gleeson line begins with William b. c. 1816 at Monsea. He married Eliza Fogarty from there, and they had four children; Martin, William, and two Elizabeths.

William and Eliza Gleeson went to live in Monsea, a small village about one a half miles up the road from Kilcolman. Three years after the marriage, a son named Martin was born to the couple. The birth was followed four years later by that of Elizabeth . A third child, William , followed three years after that, in early 1866 .

Little is known of the lives of William and Eliza Gleeson, although it can be presumed that they were fairly well to do farmers given the fact that the Gleesons were traditionally quite a moneyed family in the area, as well as the fact that the couple’s three children all did quite well for themselves.

William Gleeson died on Christmas Day, 1879 and was buried in Monsea Cemetery. He was 63 years old. His widow Eliza lived for another six years, being interred into the same plot on the 13th April 1887. In the early 1900s, their daughter Elizabeth placed a headstone on this spot to commemorate her parents.

One son, Martin, lived at Ballyhogan with his family of Elizabeth (1917-1989), Josephine (1922-1982), Mary Theresa (1923-1942) and Martin (1924-2003).

William remained near Monsea, and had children William (1914-2000), Margaret (1916-1989), ELizabeth (1916-1971), John (1918-1999) and Martin (1919-1986).

Elizabeth married Michael Stapleton of Sedgemoor around 1897 and they had two children; Patrick (1901-1973) and Elizabeth (1900-1980).
Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie
Edinburgh Blaikie Rollock Livingstone
Chirnside Paxton
Kilbarron Young Donohue Stapleton Meagher Fogarty Gleeson Meara Nevin
Kilsheelan Hennessy
Galway Nevin

Offline fred taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I have details of: Thomas Gleeson married Ann Taylor 16/9/1900 at Ballynaclough [Ballynclock]/Silvermines, a district near Nenagh. They had children: Mary Ellen 1901; Thomas 1903; Annie 1904; Maggie 1905; William 1906.
Any help?