Author Topic: Calling all GLEESONS  (Read 18697 times)

Offline car54whereareyou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all GLEESONS
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lloyd and Raymar429.   I am a direct descendant of Thomas and Charlotte Gleeson and would love to have access to any of the info you have.  It would also be good to be in touch with a Gleeson relative as I have never met any of that side of the family.  Thanks,  Alison

Offline jbm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 August 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi my gt grandmother was Julia McMahon nee Gleeson who died in Nenagh age 81 in 1946.  I believe that she came from around the Ballina Tipperary area.  She married Patrick McMahon about 1882/3 and they lived in Ballina until about 1895 before settling in Wiliam St Nenagh.  Their daughter Bridget Barrett nee Mcmahon (1890-1937) was my paternal grandmother.  The only other Gleeson relative I know about is Julia's sister or sister-in-law called Catherine (Kate) Gleeson.  It would be good to link up with other Gleesons.  Regards Janice
Barrett, Gleeson, McMahon, Atmore, Fuller, Humphrey, Knock, Pyman, Smalls Ballina, Killaloe, Nenagh, Attleborough, Banham, Besthorpe, Garvestone, Hardingham, Mattishall, Morley St Peter, Morley St Botolph, New Buckenham, Old Buckenham, Reymerstone, Wymondham

Offline DeniseCampbellWicker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 October 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information regarding Michael Gleeson from Powerstown Parish.   I found one marriage  record for Michael Gleeson and Margaret Mandaville  for February 23 1819.  I found baptism records for children of Michael Gleeson and Margaret Banfield and Margaret Manfield.  Does anyone have any connections of information to either of these names. Thank you!
Denise Wicker

Offline Enrique Treat Gleason Gleeson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 September 16 01:42 BST (UK) »
I am a GLEASON but recently discovered through Y-DNA testing and Autosomal DNA testing through FTDNA and AncestyDNA that I am a descendant of GLEESONs from Tipperary, Ireland.  I was also able to break my biggest brick-wall and discovered the name of my great grandfather, William GLEESON, and my 2nd great grandfather, James Dagg GLEESON.  My third GG is Thomas GLEESON and he was born in Tipperary, Ireland about 1790 and died in Ontario, Canada.  Through my few GLEESON matches, I've also discovered that my GLEESONs spread throughout Ontario, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the United States.  My GEDmatch number is FN101540.  Does anyone match any of my GLEESON chromosomes with my GEDmatch number? 

Offline WLGreene55

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 April 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, My great grandfather was Robert Gleason born 26 Mar 1852, Philadelphia, PA and died 20 Apr 1930, Oaklyn, NJ.  He was son of John Gleason and Elizabeth Logan.  My grandmother Sarah Edna Gleason was born 17 Nov 1902, Philadelphia, PA.  Robert Gleason was a policeman for the City of Philadelphia.  He patrolled south Philly.  He carried a walking club that cops used back then.  The Irish make good policeman for some reason. 
I found a photo of my grandfather in his policeman uniform and he looks just like the Reverend John Gleeson from Tipperary, Ireland.  They have same Irish facial features.  See attached pdf.

I believe my Gleason family are related to the Gleasons in New York and Massachusetts but there are broken links in my Gleason family tree.

I was wondering if there was any family history for Rev John Gleeson.  This is a clue to my Gleason family tree.  Thanks

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 April 17 00:33 BST (UK) »
The Irish Gleason/Gleeson family is very fortunate to have a very active researcher, Maurice Gleason, who coordinates DNA presentations for the Genetic Genealogy Ireland conferences and the Who Do You Think You Are conferences in England. Here are numerous Gleason/Gleeson testers found in the project:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Gleason?iframe=ycolorized

Also, Maurice has a YouTube video on his Gleason/Gleeson research with respect to genetic testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIIg9J3KUeE

As well as the historical view of Gleason/Gleeson surname:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRl6Mm0GPEA&t=13s

I am a FTDNA administrator for the R-L226 haplogroup project (also known as the Irish Type III). These testers are only at 37 markers but they are clearly R-L226. L226 is one of only three known haplogroups that are almost all Irish (starting around 2,000 years ago). Descendants of King Brian Boru have been confirmed L226 positive. For 80 % of testers who know their Irish geographical origins, are from Tipperrary, Clare, Limerick, Cork and Kerry. Also, the vast majority of testers have Dal gCais surnames as well.

I belong to Casey's from this area who left Ireland in the 1740s after the large crop failures of the 1740s and they were residing in western South Carolina, USA in the early 1750s. Due the availability of land in early America, around 20 to 25 % of all Caseys in the world descend from this group of Caseys that moved to South Carolina in the early 1750s. If you have Casey ancestors, I am sponsoring (paying for) a 37 marker test. Tester must be a male Casey that descends from a male Casey that has been traced back to the 1850s in Munster, Ireland.

Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline Browny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
Lloyd, according to my tree you are my 5th cousin once removed, although i have no details on the Gleeson side I know that the Barrass in your name is from the Barrass family from Northumberland, England which is the link between us. Hope I can be of sone help in that respect.

Offline jayinm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 29 September 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Any Gleeson folk on here that have roots in Carrowkeale Newport Co Tipperary Eire ?
Hayes,Grimes,McGuire,Fitzgerald,Hartnedy,Moore,Gleeson,Murroe,Coonagh,Clooncunna South,Cloghnadromin.