Author Topic: Speirs Wharf Glasgow  (Read 22305 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Speirs Wharf Glasgow
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Fifer,  the old toll house would have been like the other Roond Toll, with windows facing all round to keep an eye on carts at the gates.
 Like this pub site, getting nostalgic noo and can remember when you could get drunk on a pound.

Skoosh.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Fifer,  the old toll house would have been like the other Roond Toll, with windows facing all round to keep an eye on carts at the gates.
 Like this pub site, getting nostalgic noo and can remember when you could get drunk on a pound.

Skoosh.

It probably was in the early days but no existing pics sadly  :-\  The older folks on forums I've been reading over the last few days remember their parents talking about a square black box type of construction which probably was a toll booth.  Can't even find a line drawing of it which you would expect, so now I'm thinking about searching using other terms ie Possil Road toll booth etc. and see what comes up.

Get drunk on a £ are you kidding??  You wouldn't buy a sniff at the bottle for that now.  Must have been a long time ago  ;D
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 17:38 GMT (UK) »
@ Skoosh

It was demolished in the 19th century if this is correct. 

"It is one of two circular former toll-houses in the Glasgow area, the other being the 'Round Toll' at the corner of Garscube and Possil Roads, which was demolished in the 19th century."  http://rls.org.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-001-413-L

I'm looking for the wrong name http://www.scotcities.com/westend/woodside.htm "The crossroads at the top of the map now known as the "Round Toll" had an operating toll point to collect levies from road users. It is referred to as the "Black Quarry Toll Bar".

Bit more http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gagDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA369&lpg=PA369&dq=Black+Quarry+Toll+Glasgow&source=bl&ots=1iEKk9oqU3&sig=UrJmC_GoJGMrIkNvRpnTxbBTVjE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Zv7RUKXxFImj0QWj84CwBQ&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Black%20Quarry%20Toll%20Glasgow&f=false

ADDED: On that map it is shown as a round structure

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello fifer1947 sorry I couldn't answer your post of 19 Dec but I  had  problems with the new site pages which seems to have been fixed now thanks to Sarah.
Hope you had a good xmas and all the best for this new year.
I'll get on to the Mitchell soon.
Maureen

Offline Jane Ward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fifer
Was interesting to read about Speirs Wharf, and see the photos.I used to live up that way. I also remember the Man who would control the canal bridge. I also knew a Girl (Aileen) who lived near the Canal. I lived up the top past that House by the canal (Mary Street), and I went to the Normal school. I left Glasgow in 1956  Great to see the photos brought back memories.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fifer
Was interesting to read about Speirs Wharf, and see the photos.I used to live up that way. I also remember the Man who would control the canal bridge. I also knew a Girl (Aileen) who lived near the Canal. I lived up the top past that House by the canal (Mary Street), and I went to the Normal school. I left Glasgow in 1956  Great to see the photos brought back memories.

That's me  ;D I remember Mary Street well.

Offline Jane Ward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fifer 1947. as soon as I read youre post I knew it was you. ;) ;)
Do you remember me. I was in youre classroom. Used to come to youre house after school. Ive been searching for photos of Cowcaddens. My uncle is over here in NZ visiting, he showed me the photos of the Canal and youre house was in the background. I said to him I know that house, that was a huge surprise.... Ive been back to Glasgow for visits to see family.  and tried to find the Canal bridge, could never see it. Mary street is long gone, Pheonix park, the Grand picture theatre, the Steamie,  Such memories. My family left Glasgow in 1956 to live in NewZealand. So it was a long time ago. So lovely to have found you. :)
Jane