Author Topic: Stacks fisheries!?  (Read 7978 times)

Offline Ian54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stacks fisheries!?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 March 16 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Approaching The Fishery
The Fishery is named on the map, and this is the first glimpse of it as one approaches from the west. I surmise that it belonged to Carriden Estate, but have yet to find any information about its history and what sort of fishing was involved. For once the old maps don't help - the buildings are marked but not named. However they do show that the mudflats were roughly as extensive in the mid-19th century as they are now, which must have had a bearing on the use of the buildings.

Offline Ian54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 March 16 10:07 GMT (UK) »
By way of background.  The Paul family owned Carriden estate and farmed Stacks Farm for over two generations.  Carriden House itself was sold by them in 1997 and has recently changed hands again.  As for Stacks Farm, it was sold in December 2015 as was the nearby Northbank Farm also owned by the three Paul brothers. The family still retain a bungalow and a cottage at Stacks Farm along with some 93 acres of farmland at Carriden Brae.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 March 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Ian54, by republishing these image you are in breach of the Creative Commons Licence terms for re-use of these images, which provides that images may be re-used provided that due credit is given to the photographers. By failing to name the photographers in this thread you are therefore in breach of copyright. Can you please modify your two posts by adding the names of the photographers to comply with the CCL?

This is why I always give a link to photographs on this site rather than re-posting them. Doing this also preserves the links to other photographs of the surrounding area.

For details of the CCL see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 March 16 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Many many thanks for these great photos and information. Very interesting.

I am not sure how my 2 x great grandfather came to die here, as he lived in Glasgow city all his life, but have came to the conclusion that his son, william copeland, must have been living here , as it was him who signed the death cert.

I dont know if the Paul amily would have any information as far back as the 1930s?

Many thanks again

Paul
REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY

Offline Ian54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 March 16 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Many many thanks for these great photos and information. Very interesting.

I am not sure how my 2 x great grandfather came to die here, as he lived in Glasgow city all his life, but have came to the conclusion that his son, william copeland, must have been living here , as it was him who signed the death cert.

I dont know if the Paul amily would have any information as far back as the 1930s?

Many thanks again

Paul

The Paul family who reside in the bungalow on the farm would be able to assist you further.

Offline Ian54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 14 March 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Ian54, by republishing these image you are in breach of the Creative Commons Licence terms for re-use of these images, which provides that images may be re-used provided that due credit is given to the photographers. By failing to name the photographers in this thread you are therefore in breach of copyright. Can you please modify your two posts by adding the names of the photographers to comply with the CCL?

This is why I always give a link to photographs on this site rather than re-posting them. Doing this also preserves the links to other photographs of the surrounding area.

For details of the CCL see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

As I am unable to edit previous posts, the two pictures I posted previously of the fisheries as they currently exist should be credited to Anne Burgess.

www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=61675905

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 March 16 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for doing that, Ian54.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 March 16 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Is there anyway that you could put me in touch with the Pauls?

An email address maybe?

Many thanks

Paul
REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND