Author Topic: Thomas Eas(t)on and Sarah Lower  (Read 4047 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Eas(t)on and Sarah Lower
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 January 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody have a Reuben EAS(T)ON bc1776-1786 Bexhill apart from the one baptised 1776 fitting into their family?  I thought I had a baptism for him years ago but now can't find it (married Ann in Hastings) :(
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello casalguidi

My Husband has a Reuben Easton baptised in Bexhill ,16 May 1779,son of Samuel & Phillis

I have Reuben marrying a Widow,Ann Caine nee Upton in Hastings

Husband descends from their daughter Sarah

Hope this helps

omega  :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 August 17 05:35 BST (UK) »
Am not sure why I didn't get to reply to this but yes, thankyou, that would be it.  I descend from their daughter Matilda :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BexhillPellings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 March 20 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello casalguidi

My Husband has a Reuben Easton baptised in Bexhill ,16 May 1779,son of Samuel & Phillis

I have Reuben marrying a Widow,Ann Caine nee Upton in Hastings

Husband descends from their daughter Sarah

Hope this helps

omega  :)

Hi Omega
Do you have any idea how Frances Easton baptised 1789 in Bexhill might be related to Reuben? He is a witness on 1823 land document. Frances was born out of wedlock to Ann Easton baptized in 1764 in Bexhill. Ann married Thomas Kennard in 1793 and had another child. Although Frances is listed as Easton still when she marries Dearing Pelling in 1811 in Bexhill. So Frances parents were Thomas Kennard and Ann Easton. I believe Ann parents were Samuel Easton and Ann and they had also another child James in 1761 all in Bexhill. As he is a witness and she Frances is also an Easton I figure they most likely are related given small population of Bexhill in this period.
Thanks for any help. BP

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 March 20 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello BP

Welcome to RootsChat  :)
Sorry for late reply,but this is not easy.

Frances was Baptized 18 Nov 1789 in Bexhill,Mum Ann

I cant find a Baptisum for Ann in Bexhill 1764 but did find an Ann Easton Baptized in Battle,14 Sept 1764,Mum Ann,Widow,BB which I assume means Base Born.
I cant find a connection,sorry
Regarding Reuben born 1779 I don't think he could read or write.

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline BexhillPellings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hello BP

I cant find a Baptisum for Ann in Bexhill 1764 but did find an Ann Easton Baptized in Battle,14 Sept 1764,Mum Ann,Widow,BB which I assume means Base Born.

omega

Hi Omega 1
Yes Battle baptism for Ann is what I also found which would match her mother being a widow as Samuel Easton died in 1764 in Bexhill. So I believe Frances Easton mother was Ann Easton (father was Thomas Kennard)  Her grandparents were Samuel Easton and Ann. Im thinking Samuel is from Bexhill and her grandmother who is a widow when Ann was was born may be from Battle. I have Ann Easton(grandmother of Frances Easton) who dies in 1776 in Bexhill:

FORENAME  Ann    
SURNAME  EASTON    
BURIAL DATE  15-Mar    
YEAR  1776    
OTHER  wife of Samuel    
PLACE  Bexhill    
LOCATION  St.Peter 

So it appears this is also a Bexhill Eastons branch and I am trying to work out the relationship. Thomas Kennard gives land to his daughter Ann Pelling nee Easton and Reuben is listed on the document as a witness. So I suspect their is some relationship between Reuban and Francis Pelling nee Easton, especially considering the population base of Bexhill at this time.

Lease for a year
This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

See contact details Reference: SAS-HA/380
Title: Lease for a year
Description:
By Thomas Kennard of Bexhill, labourer, to Frances the wife of Dearing Pelling of Bexhill, cordwainer, daughter of the said Thos. Kenward, of All that piece of freehold garden ground containing 7½ perches long enclosed and fenced lying on the East side of the road from Sidley to Hastings in Bexhill, in the occupation of the said Thos. Kennard and bounding to the waste or unenclosed ground and to ground late belonging to Mr Benjamin Cramp and the pond there, N. and E. and to other waste or unenclosed ground and to the said road, S. and W. Mark of Thos. Kennard and seal

Witnesses:- Thomas Relfe, Reuben Easton
Date: 11 Jun 1823
Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Samuel, Reuben and Ann seem to be reoccurring family with the Eastons in Bexhill which is not unusual during this period with namings. I cant find a baptism yet for my Samuel Easton

My trail for Ann Easton being the correct match to Battle baptism in 1764 is matching death year in Bexhill and marriage to Thomas Kennard all connecting Frances Easton with land lease. I thought perhaps your Easton branch would be related in some way.

Entry from Bexhill St. Peter 1800 - 1899
FORENAME  Ann    
SURNAME  KENNARD    
AGE  66y    
BURIAL DATE  12-Sep    
YEAR  1831    
OTHER  Bexhill    
PLACE  Bexhill    
LOCATION  St.Peter    

Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index:
Place: Bexhill, East Sussex,  Date:  2 Apr 1793:
Subject: Thomas KENNARD, bach
Spouse: Ann EASTON, sp (B)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
BP

Offline BexhillPellings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hello BP

omega

With Samuel my best guess is the one baptized in Battle in 1735/6 is correct as Samuel born 1750 besides being only 14 yrs old when Ann is born dies in 1809 in Bexhill whereas Ann is a widow in 1764 giving birth to her daughter also Ann.(presumably Samuel dies in 1763-4 for her to be a widow and be pregnant with Samuel's child) I can not find his death as of yet though. This leaves the two Samuel's born 1746 and the other 1735/6 in Battle. The Samuel born in 1746 dies in Bexhill in 1823 so presumably the Samuel baptized in Battle 1735/6 is correct. How this fits in with Reuban as a witness could inter-connect the Battle/Hastings/Bexhill Eastons. I suspect they are all related at some point it is just where and how far back.
Thanks again
PB