Author Topic: Cummings Family from Tipperary  (Read 10402 times)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
Cummings Family from Tipperary
« on: Friday 09 November 12 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello all...

I was THRILLED to pieces to see this on rootschat....my husband's father had been searching for his roots for years before he died. 

I took up the search when I joined ancestry.com but have not found Irish records there.  I would love to find this family.  Thanks EVER ever so much. 

Oh his little family tree the following was shown

John Cummings b Abt 1800 from Nenagh Tipperary [He thought] He also listed Killaloe County Clare
                                d Abt 1867 Pendleton County Kentucky
Mother Mary Burke b Abt 1770
Wife  Bridget Lewis b Abt 1804 Ireland
                                    D Dec 1879 Pendleton County, Kentucky

Part of the family migrated to the US on 12 July 1864

The following children were shown also on this little tree

John Cummings b 1840
Edward Cummings b 1841
Thomas Cummings 1842-1872
Timothy Cummings 1843-1884
Mary Cummings [Husband James Hogan] 1844-1907]
Martin Cummings 1844-1904
Margaret Cummings 1846
Elizabeth Bridget Cummings 1848

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Cummings Family from Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Introduction topics as discussed :

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

The town of Killaloe, Co. Clare is on the west bank of the river Shannon and about 24km / 15 miles west of the town of Nenagh.

see : Nenagh to Killaloe (Google maps)

p.s. were the children you listed above born in Ireland or the US ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 12 13:11 GMT (UK) »
If this Cummings family were RC then you can check the details of the parishes in the area on the Irish Times website at :

Map of Tipperary North Riding RC Parishes

(Co. Tipperary is divided into two areas called North & South Riding)

The RC parishes between Nenagh and Killaloe are Silvermines, Youghal Arra and Ballina. Killaloe RC parish in Co. Clare is just across the Shannon from Ballina (There is a different town named Ballina in Co. Mayo).

Transcripts of some Co. Tipperary parishes including Nenagh RC are included on the pay-website at RootsIreland. Note there are often gaps in the early records.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 12 17:10 GMT (UK) »
WHAT A wonderful delight to find this information...I just got online to find out this info.

HUGS of appreciation is being sent your way.

We love you in Texas!
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Offline RoseannHogan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 May 13 23:39 BST (UK) »
Guys, I know I'm a little late to the Cummings party, but was very very happy to see this post.  I've got time to go after my Cummings finally and have been intrigued with them for a long time. 

I have Mary Cummings Hogan's (1843-1907) prayer book and she indicates she's from beautiful little village of Garrykennedy, a little west of Nenagh, on Loch Derg.

Could you tell me where you got the information about her sibs?  I have her marriage record and a picture of her too.  I'm glad to share.

Roseann

Carole, btw, I was just living in Rockwall for last year.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 May 13 11:32 BST (UK) »
Death;
--
Judy Cummings-d.1866 (50years)
Nenagh Registration district)
----
Marriagel
--
Annie Cummings
1918-to Michael Corbett
2nd-(no date)-John Holland
3rd-(no date)-John O Toole
4th-(no date)-James Royse)
========
Jack

Offline Bikerchick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching my family from Tipperary as well.  Have you used this website called rootsireland.ie?  It's a pay site (in Euros) and depending on how many relatives you need to look up, it can be very expensive.  Each look up costs 25 'credits' and the site will tell you, after you have paid some $$ for the Euros and credits, how many credits you have to use for the searching.  Searching is free, it's just the viewing of the record which costs a lot.  Good luck!  I found a lot of information there.  A tip:  if you cannot find information in one county, try the one next to it.  Use Google Maps to see where Nenagh is (northwest of Cashel) and you might have to try the county to the north (northern tipperary) to get the records.  Tipperary is separated into two counties on this site, as is Galway.

-Robin
Ostrowski, Sokol, Worochta, Lukowicz, Ternopil, Zverbki Skalat, Ukraine, Poland, Galacia, Carpathian Mountains, River Bug, Barrett, County Tipperary, Scully, Hyland, Cotter, McNamara, Quinn, Clonmel, Cahir, Knockskaugh, Knocknaboha, Catholic

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 June 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
What a WONDERFUL surprise...

I have been busy helping others with their family trees that I neglected to look on rootschat for my very own Cummings lines...thanks EVER ever so much for all of this wonderful WONDERFUL information!

All of you have been terrific!

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 June 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Roseann...

YOU are a cousin!  I was thrilled to see this information.  I have been posting info on findagrave.com linking the family together!

I just sent you a note with a personal message so that you can call me directly!

Give me a buzz and I will be able to tell you all about the family....they all started in Boston Station in Pendleton County Kentucky.  Your Mary and her brother Martin came over in 1864 together with their sister Margaret!

They had an older brother Edward who had come over earlier who ended up marrying America Bradford  to become a successful railroad contractor in Covington Kentucky. 

Looking forward to chatting...I sent you my phone number via personal message.

Carole