Author Topic: The Sheafe family of Wye  (Read 15977 times)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Sheafe family of Wye
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 April 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 May 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

My apologies for not having responded to your last post to me regarding Valentine Austin and his several wives.

The first 'wife' was revealed only through a baptism at Wye of a Mathew Austin, 1 November 1615 which reads, "Mathew Austen the son of Valentine Austen and Katherine the daughter of Thomas Terrall, baptised" .  I have searched many parishes in an attempt to find the marriage of Mathew and Katherine but with no success.  Likewise, I have also searched for a burial for Katherine, also without success.  Unfortunately, the baptism entry is somewhat ambiguous as it could be construed that Mathew was an illegitimate child of Valentine and Katherine.  However, as Mathew was baptised with the Austen surname and having regard to the strict protocol concerning the identification of illegitimate children, it would appear, on the face of it that Valentine and Katherine were married.  Of course, only finding the missing events will settle the possibility of whether or not Valentine and Katherine were actually married to each other or not.

The second wife then becomes Jane Terrall who is described on the marriage licence as being a "virgin":

Valentine Austen, of Brook, yeom[an], ba[chelor], about 30, and Jane Terrell, s.p. [of the same], v. [virgin], about 22, d[aughter] of Mary Terrell, alias Dence s.p. [of the same place], w. [widow], who consents.  At the same.  Sept. 24, 1625.

Source for the above entry:  Marriage Licences of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury, vol. 2, 1619-1660, col. 37.

The marriage entry at Brook on 27 September 1625 reads in part, "she "eius matertera ----?" [his mother's sister i.e. his maternal aunt, or a kind of "goddess" ----?] 

Source of the above entry is the Archdeacon's Transcripts of Brooke.

I think in this context the relationship is stated and not some fanciful description of his fondness for Jane.  I have to question, however, if the vicar used the correct Latin term and perhaps meant that Jane was the sister of Katherine Terrall.  Sadly, we may never know the truth of this matter unless the former marriage to Katherine Terrall can be found.

Hence the third marriage consists of the marriage to Elizabeth Sheafe.

I also have the marriages and licences of Sarah Sheafe and Mary Sheafe.

I also have the three Wills - Mathew, Thomasine and Valentine Austin.

Despite having searched numerous parishes around Wye and Adisham, I have not yet found the marriage of Mathew Austen to Thomasine.  Have you found that marriage?  I wonder as you have Thomasine recorded with the surname of Austen.

In total, Mathew and Thomasine Austen had 6 sons:

1,  Richard baptised 5 May 1588 at Adisham.  This Richard is referred to as an uncle in the Will of Thomas Austen of Harbledown proved 1 Nov 1661, the son of Mathew and Thomasine Austen of Wye.  Richard is described as being of Wye at the time of death of Thomas in 1661.

2.  Mathew baptised 19 Jul 1590 at Adisham.

3.  Henry  baptised 8 Oct 1592 at Adisham.  He married Agnes Marsh 4 May 1626 at St. Peter, Canterbury.

4.  Valentine  baptised 31 Aug 1595 at Chilham - my 10th great-grandfather.

5.  William baptised 2 Apr 1598 at Chilham. I have no further information for this fellow.

6.  Thomas baptised 28 Mar 1602 at Chilham;  died 15 Aug 1661 at Harbledown.  The Will of this fellow refers to father Matthew Austen of Wye and a legacy to Elizabeth daughter of Henry Austen, deceased.  Testator's uncle Richard Austen of Wye and testator's uncle Thomas Austen of Chillenden.  Robert Beake of Hackington one of the overseers.

Now, to touch on Elizabeth Austin, daughter of Valentine Austin and Eliabeth nee Sheafe:  I have this Elizabeth having married Stephen Wood, she of Wye, he of Hastingleigh on 29 Oct 1661 at Wye. 

There are also the following two Elizabeth Austin's, both granddaughters of Mathew and Thomasine Austin, for which I have no burials or marriages:

1.  Elizabeth Austin baptised 13 Aug. 1636 at Chilham, the daughter of Henry Austin and Ann Marsh;  and,

2.  Elizabeth Austin baptised 1 Mar 1631 at Brooke, the daughter of Richard Austin and Elizabeth nee Raynes.

I look forward to receiving your response, particularly so in regard to your Elizabeth Austin's marriage to John Kennett.

Sincerely,
Susan

CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 May 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

My apologies for not having responded to your last post to me regarding Valentine Austin and his several wives.

The first 'wife' was revealed only through a baptism at Wye of a Mathew Austin, 1 November 1615 which reads, "Mathew Austen the son of Valentine Austen and Katherine the daughter of Thomas Terrall, baptised" .  I have searched many parishes in an attempt to find the marriage of Mathew and Katherine but with no success.  Likewise, I have also searched for a burial for Katherine, also without success.  Unfortunately, the baptism entry is somewhat ambiguous as it could be construed that Mathew was an illegitimate child of Valentine and Katherine.  However, as Mathew was baptised with the Austen surname and having regard to the strict protocol concerning the identification of illegitimate children, it would appear, on the face of it that Valentine and Katherine were married.  Of course, only finding the missing events will settle the possibility of whether or not Valentine and Katherine were actually married to each other or not.

The second wife then becomes Jane Terrall who is described on the marriage licence as being a "virgin":

Valentine Austen, of Brook, yeom[an], ba[chelor], about 30, and Jane Terrell, s.p. [of the same], v. [virgin], about 22, d[aughter] of Mary Terrell, alias Dence s.p. [of the same place], w. [widow], who consents.  At the same.  Sept. 24, 1625.

Source for the above entry:  Marriage Licences of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury, vol. 2, 1619-1660, col. 37.

The marriage entry at Brook on 27 September 1625 reads in part, "she "eius matertera ----?" [his mother's sister i.e. his maternal aunt, or a kind of "goddess" ----?] 

I think in this context the relationship is stated and not some fanciful description of his fondness for Jane.  I have to question, however, if the vicar used the correct Latin term and perhaps meant that Jane was the sister of Katherine Terrall.  Sadly, we may never know the truth of this matter unless the former marriage to Katherine Terrall can be found.

Despite having searched numerous parishes around Wye and Adisham, I have not yet found the marriage of Mathew Austen to Thomasine.  Have you found that marriage?  I wonder as you have Thomasine recorded with the surname of Austen.

1,  Richard baptised 5 May 1588 at Adisham.  This Richard is referred to as an uncle in the Will of Thomas Austen of Harbledown proved 1 Nov 1661, the son of Mathew and Thomasine Austen of Wye.  Richard is described as being of Wye at the time of death of Thomas in 1661.

3.  Henry  baptised 8 Oct 1592 at Adisham.  He married Agnes Marsh 4 May 1626 at St. Peter, Canterbury.

5.  William baptised 2 Apr 1598 at Chilham. I have no further information for this fellow.

6.  Thomas baptised 28 Mar 1602 at Chilham;  died 15 Aug 1661 at Harbledown.  The Will of this fellow refers to father Matthew Austen of Wye and a legacy to Elizabeth daughter of Henry Austen, deceased.  Testator's uncle Richard Austen of Wye and testator's uncle Thomas Austen of Chillenden.  Robert Beake of Hackington one of the overseers.

Now, to touch on Elizabeth Austin, daughter of Valentine Austin and Eliabeth nee Sheafe:  I have this Elizabeth having married Stephen Wood, she of Wye, he of Hastingleigh on 29 Oct 1661 at Wye. 

There are also the following two Elizabeth Austin's, both granddaughters of Mathew and Thomasine Austin, for which I have no burials or marriages:

1.  Elizabeth Austin baptised 13 Aug. 1636 at Chilham, the daughter of Henry Austin and Ann Marsh;  and,

2.  Elizabeth Austin baptised 1 Mar 1631 at Brooke, the daughter of Richard Austin and Elizabeth nee Raynes.

I look forward to receiving your response, particularly so in regard to your Elizabeth Austin's marriage to John Kennett.

Sincerely,
Susan

Hi Susan

Thanks for the update. It will take me a bit of time to go through the details you've sent as I haven't looked at the Sheafe family for several weeks and have been focusing on other lines.

I've got some Wills and I've drawn up a tree for the Austen family and I'll compare that with the notes you've sent.

Hopefully I'll have an update for you tonight.

Matt

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 May 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Don't worry.  There is no need to rush back a response.  I know, all too well, what it's like to juggle multiple lines with competing needs. 

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 May 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Don't worry.  There is no need to rush back a response.  I know, all too well, what it's like to juggle multiple lines with competing needs. 

Sincerely,
Susan

Hi Susan

I had a quick look last night and a more detailed look at lunchtime today. Do you have a copy of the Will of Thomas Austen of Harbledown (1661)? If so can you send me a copy?

Also is it possible to send me copies of the Marriage Licences you mentioned?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 May 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

Sincerely,
Susan

Hi Susan

Do you have a copy of the 1661 Will of Thomas Austen? If so could you email me a copy if possible.

Best Wishes
Matt

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 May 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

The Canterbury marriage licences, series 2, 1619-1660, can be viewed and downloaded free at

https://archive.org/details/canterburymarria02cant.

The licence for Valentine Austen and Jane Terrall is in column 37.

I will PM you with the Will of Thomas Austen.  It is several pages long.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

The Canterbury marriage licences, series 2, 1619-1660, can be viewed and downloaded free at

https://archive.org/details/canterburymarria02cant.

The licence for Valentine Austen and Jane Terrall is in column 37.

I will PM you with the Will of Thomas Austen.  It is several pages long.

Sincerely,
Susan

Many thanks for sending me the Will.

Matt