Author Topic: James Family - Mitcham  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Rebeccajames35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Family - Mitcham
« Reply #36 on: Monday 03 October 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
So I'm not going mad ?!?
James
Miley
Parker sands
Ayres bowers coopers
Sparrowhawks smiths
Doe

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 18:34 BST (UK) »
A BIG APOLOGY!!

You are quite right - last night I re-looked at the census records and had incorrectly copied it down as Joseph in my own records therefore for the last 3 years I have been reading it as Joseph and Louisa!!  I am so glad you have put me right on this.

Did you find these on any other census as we have only found them on 1881 and 1891 - although may have been looking under the wrong names!!  Someone else on this site found John and Minnie with a daughter Amy but I have been unable to find this - have you come across this - they definitely did have a daughter Amy.

Have you ever seen any photos of these - I would love to find any but have had no luck so far.

Do you come from the Mitcham area yourself?

Best wishes

Waynus

Offline Rebeccajames35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Waynus ,
                 Thank God you said that because I kept checking everything , and what with the james love of recycling their names we could've easily been talking about two different families!! My dad had them in 1891 but we had their son Joseph, wife Rebecca  and children in 1911 and 1901. I haven't seen anything about john and minnie officially but my dad did have Scribbles on scraps of paper about them . I think minnie full name is migyonette or something like that and possibly was an ayres .I haven't seen any pictures which is a shame but fingers crossed we may find some one day !!
I'm from Croydon and my dads family stayed close to that area . I have been told from a second cousin that there's still a few of the james family there , not sure how distant though .
I thing this site is amazing , in the few weeks I've been using it I've found 2 of my dad's cousins !! So how are we related ? John james son Joseph is my great great grandad  !
        Rebecca
James
Miley
Parker sands
Ayres bowers coopers
Sparrowhawks smiths
Doe

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca

Sorry for confusing you - my great grandfather is John and Louisa's son John who married Minnie.  Yes we have found her as Mignonette too but she is a Collins (her father was Samuel Collins and her mother was Amy Ayres) and we also found her as an Ayres on one census.

In the 1911 census the family are living at 8 Seaton Road, Mitcham with 3 of their youngest daughters - my granny Ellen is the youngest who is there with them.

Glad you have found some other cousins - yes there are still James' living in Mitcham. I visited there a couple of years ago and spoke to some of them.  Their granny was also Verty.

Shame about the photos - maybe someday.

I have also looked for some of the other brothers and sisters and I have found a few of them and who they married - if you want any information let me know - happy to share what I have found.

If you don't hear from me for a couple of days - its because I don't have a computer and use my friend's when i get chance.  Please keep in touch - nice to talk to cousins we don't know!!

Best wishes

Waynus

Offline Rebeccajames35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 21:09 BST (UK) »
Cousin hello !!!
Waynus I recently spoke to a man called Jimmy and his granny was vertina and my grandad was her brother!! So we aren't that distant cousins lol !! Just think how many of us there are ! I have about 20 cousins just through my dads siblings and they all have a few kids as well  :D
It would be great to have any information you have thank you  :)
   I'll forward to hearing from you soon
            Becky x
James
Miley
Parker sands
Ayres bowers coopers
Sparrowhawks smiths
Doe

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 15 October 16 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Becky

Hope you are OK.

I have sent you a personal message - have you received this?  If not, let me know and I will send it again.

Best wishes

Waynus

Offline craygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 12 April 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
My great grandad was Samuel James...son of John James and Minnie Ayres/Collins. He was born in 1883 in Surrey and died in 1944.

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 22 April 19 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Craygirl

Well - you have certainly shocked me.  I was told that Samuel had died young in the first world war along with his brother Bobby.  We have traced Bobby's memorial in Belgium but had not been able to find anything for Samuel (now we know why!!). If you have any more information about him, I would be grateful to receive this.  Who did he marry, how many children did he have, do you have any photos?????  This will enable me to close some parts of the family history as he has always been a mystery.
Thank you so much for getting in touch - you have made my day!!
Best wishes Waynus

Offline craygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 22 April 19 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Waynus.
Was good to hear from you.
Samuel was my mum's grandfather.
His wife was Emily King...although they didn't marry.  I think they had 7 children. Minnie, Louisa, Brittania, Leonard, Ellen, Rose and Robert. They all travelled around Kent working on the farms and hawking. After Sam died in Orpington in 1944 the family settled in St Mary Cray, Orpington on a site called Corke's Meadow until they were forced out and made to live in houses. I also thought Sam had died fighting in the war because when I was younger they used to say " he died in the war". But really he died during the war years when the family was on the run because his son had been called up to fight and they didnt want him to go  :D.
Also, my mum said that Sam's sister Violet b.1897, lived in the same area.
I do have a photo of him that I will dig out this week for you.
I hope this helps.