Author Topic: William Henry Coates Lancashire and Melbourne?  (Read 6855 times)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Coates Lancashire and Melbourne?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 March 15 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Stewart.

Me and my step mother Geraldine live near  Birmingham in England.She is the great granddaughter of William Henry's younger sister Jane Elizabeth Coates who married a David Goodwin a school master.
Teaching remains in the family.

We are not unfortunately in touch with the girl's families in the US.It would be nice to know more from closer family ,the personal stuff you don't really get from official records.But it is possible to track them down up until the 1980's on official documents.

Now I've found my notes I do have a little more on the family.
You already have William and Ellen's marriage.
Ruby Millicent Gertrude Coates was baptised at Ashton under Lyne St Peters 11th April 1878 and born 18.2.1878
Yolande Elizabeth Helen is baptised at Prestwich St Mary 28.9.1880 and they are living at Greenfield Terrace Prestwich.
(I can send you a copy of both if you want).
The neighbor Ellen was involved with was a Norris Taylor Collinge .Norris Taylor Colling(e)s married Hannah Oldham in Rochdale Dec 1876.He had been born in June 1855 at Rochdale his parents Robert and Ellen running the Baloon Inn ,Queen St..By 1881 the married couple  are living in Liverpool Road Barton Upon Irwell.He is an Inspector of Nuisances for the Council.

He and Ellen seem to have traveled to the US separately and agreed to meet up there.I did have the passenger list for Norris but I'm finding it difficult to find again.Ellen and the girls supposedly left in 1888 according to latter censuses for Ruby and 1885 for Yolande.The first  could co-inside with James  her father in laws death .William Henry is not named as an executor even though he is the older son.Do you know when he reached Australia?Had he already gone?

Norris and Ellen  married 6.10.1896 Washington District of Columbia both as widowed,aged 40 and 37.
Presumably they waited until William Henry had died and they got the news.
There is a possible death for his wife Hannah Dec 1881 in Bury age 47 but it's such a common name it's difficult to tell.

Ruby is on the 1900 Us census living with her in laws and she married Warren Leroy Simmons 11.4.1901.He works for the US postal service.They have two children Roland E 1902 and Mildred G 1906.
1910 and 1920 they are in R?Street Washington
1930 and 1940  Monroe St
There is a draft card for Warren in 1942.
I can't find deaths for them.Roland is last seen in 1940 in Takoma Park,Montgomery Maryland working in air conditioning.

Yolande is married to Homer M(a/e)lone by 1910 US census and they are living in Washington with daughter Yolande 5 .Homer is a plumber and Yolande senior a millner.
(Yolande junior married a Mr William G Gehri and died aged 94 in 1998.They had 2 children Virginia and Sylvia.)
1920 North Capital St Washington
1930 Shepherdstown ,Jefferson West Virginia-German St
1940 same town
Here's her death
Yolanda Eliz. Ellen Malone
[Yolanda Eliz. Ellen Coates]
Birth Date:    4 Aug 1880
Death Date:    15 Aug 1968
Death Place:    Berkeley County, West Virginia
Death Age:    88
Race:    White
Father Name:    Robec Coates
Mother Name:    Ellen Haslam
She's buried at Elmswood Cemetery.Homer died 21.6.1880-16.2.1951 and he is also buried there.
(I have photos of their graves if you want them).

I can't find a death for either Norris Collings or Ellen.The 1890 US census has been lost and they don't seem to appear on the 1900 and after.

I do have copies of the US censuses and draft cards for the two son in laws etc.,if you want them just give me a bell and we can exchange e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

My name's Cathy.
All the best for now.

Offline stewart perkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 March 15 05:49 BST (UK) »
HI Cathy
Thanks for all the wonderful information. It's absolutely brilliant. And it has answered a lot of questions as well.
I don't think I will need copies of anything at this stage. Thanks for the offer - will let you know.
William Henry Coates was a Lieutenant in the Volunteer Forces (23 Lancashire Rifle Corps) being commissioned 6 Mar 1976.
A WH Coates sailed from London 3 Feb 1885 on the barque "Norma" as an extra colonial passenger ( Register]:14 March 1885)arriving at Pt Adelaide 20 May 1885. (There were also 29 unnamed passengers on the ship). I am assuming that this WH and our William Henry are the one and the same. This of course pre-dates Ellen's departure for America. Why did William Henry leave?
He must have arrived in Adelaide in order to meet Emily Ruth Sterne ( my great grandmother) aged 16 at the time. His death certificate states that he lived 4 years in South Australia and 4 years in Victoria. Did they elope to Victoria where they married in 1889 and had two sons? The marriage certificate clearly sates that he is a bachelor and the only person mention in his will is his "dear wife Emily Ruth Coates formerly Sterne". Interestingly the only issue recorded on the death certificate is Herbert George William (b 1890) my grandfather. On William's death Emily and sons returned to South Australia to live with her father later marrying her deceased sister's husband Arthur Mole.
The other interesting information from your email is about your stepmother and her relation to William Henry through his younger sister Jane Elizabeth. For years my grandparents Herbert George William Coates and his wife corresponded with cards and Christmas presents with cousins Auntie Grace and Auntie Nora in England. Grace of course being Grace Goodwin (who must have been the daughter of Jane and David??) Grace must have married a ? Fennell (no records traced yet) and they had a son Michael Peter who is about the same age as my mother Nancy. Peter married a Elizabeth Bailey and in a trip to the UK in 1980 my mother, sister and I were taken out to dinner in London by Peter and Elizabeth. I have tracked down Elizabeth's death in 2004 (my mother also died in 2004). I have not been able to find any mention of Peter's death.
It has been great to be able to fill in quite a few gaps but there are, as you say, personal stuff that you don't get from official records which would really complete the picture.
There may be more details about the Coates family worth sharing. Let me know if you have any queries.
Glad to be able to be in touch.
Cheers
Stewart

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 March 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

......His death certificate states that he lived 4 years in South Australia and 4 years in Victoria. Did they elope to Victoria where they married in 1889 and had two sons? ....... Interestingly the only issue recorded on the death certificate is Herbert George William (b 1890) my grandfather. On William's death Emily and sons returned to South Australia to live with her father........

Looks like the second son of William and Emily was born after the death of William?
Henry Robert Stearne COATES b. 27 Jan 1894
Birthplace/Residence recorded was Hindmarsh SA.
Reg. Hindmarsh 537/370

Essie