Author Topic: William Henry Coates Lancashire and Melbourne?  (Read 6862 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Coates Lancashire and Melbourne?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 November 12 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Death
MOLE Emily Ruth
24 Sep 1957  87 years  Status Married  Relative Arthur Yerrinder MOLE [H]
Residence Welland  Death Place Adelaide  Ade H 865/6090

The information on her status is incorrect and as Emily died in a hospital or place of care it is possible that the informant was a member of staff.

MOLE Arthur Verrinder
19 Jan 1938  73 years  Status Married  No relative noted
Residence Hindmarsh West  Death Place Hindmarsh West    Hin 598/303

Arthur was a storeman who retired in 1929.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0s5n/

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 November 12 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Marriage
COATES Herbert George William  26 years  Status Single  Father William Henry COATES
MURPHY Nellie Frances  26 years  Status Single  Father Daniel Lewis MURPHY
18 Nov 1916
At All Saints Church Hindmarsh   Hin S 269/426

Death
COATES Herbert George William
16 Oct 1969   79 years  Status Widower  Relative Nellie Frances COATES [Deceased wife]
Residence Croydon  Death Place Croydon  Hin H 77A/7689

Cando

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 November 12 11:47 GMT (UK) »

(South Australia) Advertiser 2 Oct 1890

MOLE—STEARNE.— On the 11th September, at All Saints', Hindmarsh, by the Rev. H. K. Pollitt, Arthur Verrinder, eldest son of Joseph Thomas Mole, of Adelaide, to Agnes Clara, third daughter of Twist Stearne, of Hindmarsh.

COATES—STEARNE.— On the 24th July, 1889, at   St. Margaret's, Richmond, Victoria, William Henry Coates, to Emily Ruth, fourth daughter of Twist Stearne, of Hindmarsh, South Australia.

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 November 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Wow are you quick and on the ball.
I'd tried Ancestry and familysearch for deaths and marriages in Australia and nothing.And you find tons!
Thank you ,you are really brilliant!
But can I just ask does anybody have a passenger list or explanation why Ruby and Yolande end up in the USA.I've spotted Ruby in 1900 in the District of Columbia  arrived 1888 but no way could they have got there on there own.
Yolande Elizabeth death says she is the daughter of William Henry's brother Robert Edward but has correct mother,which is weird.It's not as though Robert Edward's been spotted in the US.
Thanks again ,lots to follow up.Really a great job!
Ciderdrinker

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 November 12 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you have a look at the Resources and Offers Board for many links for Australian general research and each state is listed individually.   Ancestry certainly does not have all the records and many of the bdm's are poorly transcribed and the indexes are far from complete.

Cando

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 November 12 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Cando

Ciderdrinker

Offline stewart perkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have just come across your posting with queries about William Henry Coates.
William was my Great grandfather.
I have details about his early life in England and and when he was living in Melbourne. But the details about his marriage to Ellen Haslam and his two daughters are very sketchy. I have not been able to trace any details after 1881. What became of them? He is definitely recorded as being a bachelor on his wedding certificate when he married my great grandmother in 1889.
I would like to fill in the missing gaps and answers to few questions. I have the original marriage certificate of the 1889 marriage plus his army commissions.
I think you may be able to shed some light on the mystery.
Thanks in anticipation
Stewart Perkins

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Stewart.
What a lovely surprise.I actually  did this research for my stepmother some time ago and it does seem strange to revisit it after this time.I'm out and about today and don't have the research with me at the moment but can get back to you by the weekend.

In the meantime from what I can remember and find at hand now.(I'm at a internet cafe just checking my e-mails).
William Henry Coates and Ellen Haslam married at Stand in Manchester 13.2.1877.I have that certificate.They are together in 1881 with their two daughters Ruby Millicent  and Yolande Elizabeth Helen Coates baptised at in the Manchester area.
Although I said I had a death for Ellen it turns out she did not die in England and the couple seem to have split up without a divorce.

While William Henry Coates left England and went to Melbourne where he remarried.

Ellen left England with another man for the US.He was a near neighbour who was also married but to a much older wife with no children.They took the girls with them.
Yolande married a Homer C Malone and died in Jefferson West Virginia 15.8.1968.Her death record suggests her father was William's brother Robert but that may have been just a mistake on the behalf of the informant.I don't have her birth certificate only her baptism,although I'd be surprised even if they were having an affair if Ellen named her brother in law as the father.

Ruby Millicent married 11.4.1901 District of Columbia Warren Leroy Simmons born 1879 and they lived in Washington.

Off hand I can't remember all the details but I will get back to you when I have  a chance to dig out my notes.

Ciderdrinker

Offline stewart perkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 March 15 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi "Ciderdrinker"
Thanks for the lovely surprise in response to my query.
I too have a copy of the marriage certificate for William and Ellen and a printout of the 1881 census. After that I have not been able to find any details of Ellen and the two girls. And that is the mystery I've been trying to discover.
William must have come to South Australia where he and Emily (my great grandmother) lived and then he went off to Victoria and she followed and they were married in Melbourne at St Mark's Fitzroy (as per certificate) not St Margaret's Richmond as listed in Trove. What prompted a 19 year old girl to travel 500  miles to marry a man almost twice her age?
I live in Adelaide South Australia (where Emily was born).
I look forward to hearing from you over the week end and would be interested to know where you actually live as well as your name.
Cheers
Stewart