Author Topic: whelans wexford  (Read 6488 times)

Offline wexjpw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
whelans wexford
« on: Monday 12 November 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to track down my WHELAN forebears in Wexford.

My grandmother was a Hannah Saunders, born 1883 who married Patrick Whelan (born 1881) in 1904.  Patrick lived in King St at time of marriage and his father was John.  He might have had sisters (Elizabeth and Mary Kate) and a brother (James) as these are cited as godparents to some of Hannah and Patrick's children.  One child was my father, John Whelan (b. 1907).  Other children were Patrick, James, Maggie, May, Kathleen, Clare, and Angela (another child Nicholas died aged 3).  Hannah's brothers were a Patrick, Nicholas and John and her sister was Catherine/Katie.

I know quite a bit (though it's never complete!) of my Saunders' side, but virtually nothing of my Whelan side. Both the Saunders (this branch originating in Fishers Row) and the Whelan (my father's) families lived in Seaview Avenue, from before the 1901 census to when my aunt Katie (Hannah's sister) died in the 1970s.

My grandfather was a sailor and for years on the rosslare-fishguard ferry (he died in 1943) and a member of the Fishgaurd lifeboat that rescued the crew of the dutch schooner Hermina in 1920 (a fairly well known incident in Wexford maritime circles).  My Uncle Pat was aboard the Kerlogue during WW2 when it picked up german sailors sunk in the bay of biscay, my Uncle James (Jim) was a lieutenant commander Irish Navy and lastly harbour master at Limerick before his sudden death in the mid 1960s.  My father was also a sailor who settled in liverpool in 1938.

Hannah's mother was Mary O'Connor who married a Patrick Saunders.  She is cited as 'widow' aged 45 in the 1901 census but i'm not sure about this status (as I've seen elsewhere that this Patrick Saunders died in 1919).

I've heard (family tale) that Mary's father a 'captain o'connor' built the houses in Seaview Avenue but can't verify this.

Anyone know anything about my elusive WHELAN ancestors?

Incidentally, my Aunt Katie (Saunders) became a Roche (she married Matt Roche, brother of Jem Roche, the great boxer). *

Moderator Note : details of living people removed as per RootsChat privacy policy

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: whelans wexford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to track down my WHELAN forebears in Wexford.

My grandmother was a Hannah Saunders, born 1883 who married Patrick Whelan (born 1881) in 1904.  Patrick lived in King St at time of marriage and his father was John.  Anyone know anything about my elusive WHELAN ancestors?

Just a small point of possible interest - the parish record states Patrick was living in King Street Avenue at the time of his marriage on 19/09/1904. There were only about four homes at the end of of this small lane per the old 25 inch OSI map enabling you to pin point almost exactly where he was residing.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline wexjpw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
That's lovely - thanks shorts: you're a treasure, thanks for your trouble of looking at parish record and taking photo, it's much appreciated

Offline prue1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
hi, my grandmother was margaret whelan from wexford. she had a sister angela. we have cousins named saunders, roche, corish . i went to wexford and met my dads great aunt kate who died in the 70's. maybe a connection?

Offline prue1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
a lot of your post is so familiar .. sounds like all my dads aunties  .. and the maritime connection too.

Offline BLSstory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello !
I am also trying to find information on my Whelans from Rathangan/Duncormick.  John Whelan married Bridget Stafford in 1828 and had eight children: Peter, Catherine, Margaret, Patrick, John, Stephen, Mary and Elizabeth. All born Rathangan/Duncormick 1828-1846.  Any chance we have some common relives?
Thanks for your time.
:-)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 December 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I have Mary Whelen to Patrick Reed in 1850 in Wexford. No other details on Mary, than probably died in Liverpool possibly 1911

Offline Lichens

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 October 22 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hello. I am a Whelan from Wexford and my father was James Whelan, Harbour Master at Limerick in the 1960s. He was one of Hannah Saunder's sons. Pleased to hear from you. How do we make contact?

Offline Melinda Wilson (Hughes)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 13:29 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was a Johanna Whelan (born circa 1864) from Carrickbyrne/Loughnageer in Co Wexford. Her father is listed as Patrick and I am only guessing that her mother is a Bridget McGrath. She is in Liverpool with her sister Mary by 1883. My Great Great grandfather was known as George Douglas (the wedding cert has him listed as Charles George Douglas and her as Annie Whalen) , I traced them back through known addresses through my paternal grandmother. She was known as Annie, but listed as Johanna on later documents .After George died in 1902, she married Patrick Whitty in 1905 and was thereafter known as Johanna. She died in 1939. I have so hit a brick wall with her family and am happy to see other people also looking for Whelans.