Author Topic: clonmel,ex servicemen houses,1920  (Read 9391 times)

Offline ellen3635

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
clonmel,ex servicemen houses,1920
« on: Monday 12 November 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
my mum lived in clonmel with her family in ex servicemens houses,does anyone have any info. her family name was Cummins. this was in 1920-30 time

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: clonmel,ex servicemen houses,1920
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I believe they were in Glenconnor and built after WW1.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 December 12 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, they were called the Glenconnor cottages at first. There were three roads of them, the first cottages were about a quarter of a mile from the second lot. The last lot were quite near the second lot, if you accessed it across a public right of way, a field. Should you go by road this Glenconnor was no where near the other two, miles away. My dear old dad would have probably known your family although sadly he died last Feb, aged 85. He knew everyone in all the three roads of cottages at one point.

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 December 12 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Only my maternal grandfather was from Clonmel, and his family had moved out to the country by about 1920. Most of us moved back in to the town in the 80s. Our grandparents may have been acquainted :)

Offline ellen3635

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 12 20:34 GMT (UK) »
thankyou for the information, I have now narrowed the house down to gort na carraige rockfied.
The family name was Cummins.

Offline london2011

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 13 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for bumping the thread but this thread caught my eye. I know little information about my Great Grandfather but have always been told that he lived in Ex-Servicemen's Cottages somewhere outside of Callan but have not found any existence of such cottages. However, Clonmel isn't too far from Callan, so could it possibly be that the Ex-Servicemens Cottages in Clomnel were the same ones he resided in?

Hi, they were called the Glenconnor cottages at first. There were three roads of them, the first cottages were about a quarter of a mile from the second lot. The last lot were quite near the second lot, if you accessed it across a public right of way, a field. Should you go by road this Glenconnor was no where near the other two, miles away. My dear old dad would have probably known your family although sadly he died last Feb, aged 85. He knew everyone in all the three roads of cottages at one point.

You mentioned that some of the cottages were built no where near the other two. Would you possibly happen to know whereabouts these houses were located?
Email address no longer working

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your post. The cottages where not just built in Glenconnor, Clonmel, Co.Tipperary, they were also built in other parts of Co.Tipperary and perhaps other parts of Ireland. The Third cottages is still classified as Glenconnor just has a field between them which is easy walking distance. However, you would not be able to drive through it therefore to get there by car from the second cottages you would have to go to the other side of Clonmel. Sorry to mislead you, I was thinking in these modern times a field apart with no nearby road seems far away. Especially for a place name to share the same postal address. Thurles is now the keeper of C.Tipperary archive records and there may be info re the where about of these houses in Co Tipperary. I think Ardfinnan has some for example. Good luck with your research.

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 April 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your post. The cottages where not just built in Glenconnor, Clonmel, Co.Tipperary, they were also built in other parts of Co.Tipperary and perhaps other parts of Ireland. .... Thurles is now the keeper of C.Tipperary archive records and there may be info re the where about of these houses in Co Tipperary. I think Ardfinnan has some for example. Good luck with your research.

I was interested to read this thread, sorry to butt in with a question of my own. I have been trying to find info re my Grandfather in law, my husband said he thought that his grandfathers house was something to do with his WW1 army service. He lived in Littleton, so I am now thinking that they were Ex Servicemen's houses. I have searched in vain for any record of his army service on Ancestry maybe I can trace through his house. When you say that Thurles is keeper of records where exactly do you mean please.
Thanks
M

Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 13 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome, I didn't start this thread myself although I have replied to posts. My brother often visits Thurles Library for research and the archives are stored there also. I believe the address is The Source, Cathedral Street, Thurles. Phone (0504) 29720 Fax (0504) 21344. The building contains archive information such as articles in Newspapers. Information can be viewed on microfilm and for a nominal fee can be copied. It is like a county archive records office although it may cover other counties also. Apparently there are manorial estate records and such like. You may need to contact them or look up on the internet exactly what other information they store and what areas they cover. Even if an employee points you in the right direction re where you may find archive records for your area it would be useful. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.