Author Topic: Lovat Scouts in WW2  (Read 13687 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Lovat Scouts in WW2
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamie,

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

Have you considered applying for a copy of your grandfather's service record? Details here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grantied101

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, hoping to find out some more info, my granda served as a Sergeant in Lovat scouts ww2, was killed in Oct 1944, buried in Arezzo cemetery. He was Moncrieff MacMenemy. From what I've found so far, I think he was in A sqn when he died. He did train in Canada also as well as spending time in Faroe Islands. Would anyone have come across his name? The Melville book is very good & does mention him. Thanks

Offline thehighlandersmus

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 November 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am the curator at The Highlanders' Museum at Fort George near Inverness. We have a permanent display of objects relating to the Lovat Scouts at the museum but I am interested in exploring the personal stories and memories of Lovat Scouts during WWII. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has oral history recordings, memoirs or diaries given or written by Lovat Scouts (preferably firsthand accounts) that you might be willing to share with the museum.
Please contact me through this site or my direct email can be found on the museum website (The Highlanders' Museum (The Queen's Own Highlanders Collection). 
Best wishes,
Laura.

Offline Boyd Mackenzie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 February 23 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I wonder how I can access the information in Donnie Mackenzie's memoirs regarding the Lovat Scouts. I had a relation Tpr 2988150 Hugh Mackenzie who served as a Lovat Scout and was killed in the north of Italy on the 12 th April 1945, just three weeks before the war ended. Hugh was born in Stromeferry and lived in Kyle, Ross-shire.

Offline crisdean003

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 September 23 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am Donald Mackenzie's grandson (hummel's son). If it is still of interest I have made the documentary video, where my grandfather speaks of this of tragic day, available on youtube.

The video is 30 minutes long and has multiple accounts of other highland troops experiences during the war, though the timestamp of my grandfathers recollections begins at 21:18. The video is narrated and interviewed in Gaelic, however English subtitles are included.

Not sure as a new member the moderators will approve of me posting links but the video can be found by searching:"Curaidhean #lovatscouts" on youtube

Kind Regards,

Crisdean Mackenzie

I would be very interested in the tape of your father and would be very grateful if you could pass on the information.
Hi,
I am the curator at The Highlanders' Museum at Fort George near Inverness. We have a permanent display of objects relating to the Lovat Scouts at the museum but I am interested in exploring the personal stories and memories of Lovat Scouts during WWII. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has oral history recordings, memoirs or diaries given or written by Lovat Scouts (preferably firsthand accounts) that you might be willing to share with the museum.
Please contact me through this site or my direct email can be found on the museum website (The Highlanders' Museum (The Queen's Own Highlanders Collection). 
Best wishes,
Laura.