Author Topic: Alexander Williams 1869 Can you help?  (Read 9097 times)

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Williams 1869 Can you help?
« on: Wednesday 14 November 12 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my gr grandfather was called Alexander Williams and was born abt 1869.  I think I have found him living in South Shields, Durham on the 1901 aged 42, it states here that he was born in Banff, Scotland.  Unfortunately, I have tried Scotlands People etc and cant find a birth listed for him.

I know from his marriage certificate in 1913 he  he married Catherine Rafferty in Tynemouth, Northumberland at the Registry Office, they had their son Alexander (my grandfather) in September 1914 in north Shields.  His father was called John and he was a Mariner (deceased).

I really would like to know where Alexander (1869) was born and more about his history, but until I find a birth I am stumped! I think I have exhausted all avenues I know how to but I am sure someone could help me out with this as I am very frustrated.
Thank you

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Williams 1869 Can you help?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi  littleliz02

Could Alexander have been married before? From 1901 in South Shields:

Alexandre Williams 29, general labourer, b. Banff
Elizabeth Williams 24 b. South Shields
Alexandra Williams 1 b. South Shields

RG13/4729/125/30

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Funnily enough I have previously looked at the entry you kindly sent, and thought the same myself.

On the 1901 Alexander is living in South Shields and born in Banff and living with Elizabeth

On the 1911 I think Alexander is boarding in South Shields his occ is engineering shop labourer born banff. This makes me think that the Alexander you sent me is the same one - as it's so much of a coincidence there being two Alexander Williams born the same year in Banff.

I thought maybe he didnt marry Elizabeth and she just took his name because I cant find a marriage for Alexander Williams and an Elizabeth in both Durham and Northumberland, according to the censues 1901 Elizabeth was born in South Shields.

I cant even find Elizabeth or Alexandra b1900 anywhere else on the census or deaths etc.

Alexander Williams 1869 is 44 when he marries my granmother and is a bachelor accoring to the marriage certificate - I did think that age 44 is old to be a bachelor.  i just wish I could find out where Alexander was born and then could maybe search from there.  I did initially have him from Glasgow but now realise I had the totally wrong family.

Seems to be a rabbit away somewhere I think!!!!!

My line of thought now is to find the birth entry for Alexander Williams born Banff in 1969.

I am so frustrated at this point.
Thank you for you help.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Struggling to find the Banff connection so far  :-\

Saw this birth entry from Aberdeenshire https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYTW-G7M and then possibly down in Durham by 1871 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VB88-6BD

I am open minded about Williams/Williamson/McWilliam.

However, the above family with father John, he doesn't show as a mariner then (1871) so not sure how to progress. If Alexander left Scotland very early in his life, some confusion may occur about his birth place....however, he stated Banff twice (1901 and 1911).

Monica

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I never thought about vairations of the name but this is definately something I will have to persue.

I have checked the birth entry you gave and managed to find them back in scotland until 1901, in which John's occupation is still Joiner - I dont think this is the one, but i did get very excited for a while there.

I think the next step is to explore all variation of the name Williams.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.
Lisa

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 12 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

It's maddening, frustrating and fun...all at the same time!

If we think that Alexander may have been married before due to that 1901 census entry, I was having another look around for the possible marriage to an Elizabeth and saw this entry:

Alexander Williamson and Elizabeth Harris or Florence Adamson - Sunderland Durham, 4th Qrt 1897, vol. 10a, pg 865.

One to keep on the boil until you find more info. Not sure how much more this will tell you about Alexander's early days if all it was to say was father and occupation as before, however, as always it simply helps with filling out someone's life. But, as I said, just a maybe for now...

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 November 12 09:17 GMT (UK) »
he stated Banff twice (1901 and 1911)

I wonder whether this is the burgh of Banff, or the parish of Banff, or the county of Banff?

If it's the county, and John, being a mariner, lived by the sea, you could be looking at Bellie, Enzie, Rathven, Seafield, Cullen, Deskford, Fordyce, Portsoy, Boyndie, Banff, Macduff or Gamrie, all of which are parishes or registration districts along the coast of Banffshire. Villages with different names include Portgordon, Buckpool, Buckie,  Ianstown, Gordonsburgh, Portessie, Findochty, Portknockie, Whitehills, Inverboyndie, Gardenstown, Crovie, Pennan etc.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 November 12 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I agree Monica, it is maddening, fun and exciting............. I just wish I had a crystal ball at times.  I will definately explore the marriage you suggest - For some reason I think the surname may have been changed over time, so still lots to go on and many hours sitting in from of my computer.

Addictive!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Forfarian I need to explore these town, Would I be miles out if I searched Aberdeenshire also?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 November 12 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Would I be miles out if I searched Aberdeenshire also?

The historic county of  Aberdeen has a long boundary with historic county of Banff, so no, you wouldn't be miles out.

However don't let yourself be confused by the modern boundaries, which place Fordyce, Boyndie, Banff and Gamrie, including Portsoy, Whitehills, Inverboyndie, Macduff, Gardenstown, Crovie and Pennan in what is now called Aberdeenshire, but isn't officially a county.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.