Author Topic: Alexander Williams 1869 Can you help?  (Read 9100 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Williams 1869 Can you help?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 November 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, nice big colourful map of counties in Scotland www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/sct_cmap.html Just click on any county on the map for further info.

I also like these maps for parishes by county www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-maps.htm

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 November 12 21:22 GMT (UK) »
back to the drawing board with Alexander Williams b 1869....

I have found a birth for an Alexander McWilliam 15/2/1869 and he is listed as an illegitimate child to helen McWilliam who was a Domestic Servant and lived with her parents Alexander McWilliam b1811 and Isabella b1829 in Keith, Banff in 1961 then lives with her grandmother in 1971

Could anyone advise me how I can find out what happened to Alexander mcWilliam b 15/2/1889 1869 as it seems he did not reside with his mother helen McWilliam.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 November 12 21:26 GMT (UK) »
That looks promising!

The way these things normally go...would be to check whether mother Helen married after the birth of Alexander in 1869. Alexander may show under mother Helen's new married surname for 1871 (if she remarried).

Monica

Added: Tired now! Helen is with grandmother for 1871?

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 November 12 21:40 GMT (UK) »
yep me tooo, think my husband is going to ask for a divorce - on either grounds of neglect or boredom (he has no interest!)

Thank you so much you for effort Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 November 12 21:42 GMT (UK) »
My husband and children have hung on for years through all my stories. When they get glassy eyed...I do something LOUD to awake them  ;D

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 November 12 21:59 GMT (UK) »
That sounds like a good idea............ mmmmm what shall I use?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 November 12 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, haven't forgotten about your Alexander.

Re-reading through what we had so far here.

That 1901 census that we had as a possibility for first marriage for Alexander, the child Alexandra, aged 1...is actually a son, Alexender, aged 1.

If we are at all on the right lines for Alexander Snr for 1901 at least, you would think Alexander Jnr would have died before 1913 and certainly by 1914 when your grandfather Alexander was born. Not that we can find anything on that potential first family to be able to firm things up  :-\

Monica  :)

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 November 12 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Going back to the drawing board and taking into account the definates (having been round the world and back and knowing everything about every Alexander Williams lol). 

My Alexander Williams married Catherine Rafferty //at North Shields Registry Office 17/05/1913 He is 44 years Bachelor occ Engineering Labourer - father named as John Williams Deceased, Mariner. 

I have a birth of their first daughter Winifred C Williams Sept 1913-1931, I presume the reason they married at the registry office is because she was pregnant with Winifred at the time.

Having looked at the 1901 and 1911 census, there is an Alexander Williams b 1869 living as a boarder in South Shields and his occupation is Engineering shop labourer born Banff.  I have a hunch that this is my Alexander Williams as it would be very unusual for two people with the same name living in the same area with the same occupation and age living in South Shields and coming from Banff.

The problem there starts............. I cannot find an Alexander Williams born in Banff in 1969,  I have found others, but not for the exact year which means I am unable to get hold of his birth certificate. 

Another hunch I have is that Alexander was living with Elizabeth on 1901 census and they had a child called Alexander b1901, I dont think they were actually married, I think maybe she took his surname.  I cant find a death for either Elizabeth or Alexander Jnr, which makes me think that the couple separated and Alexander Jnr was brough up by a stepfather with his mother remarrying.  This may be totally wrong, this is something I need to explore a little further.  I feel that Alexander may not have told Catherine that he already had a son called Alexander, the information I get from my family is very vague as he passed away when my mother was young, however, it has been mentioned that he was a very closed person and his motto was "tell nobody nowt"!

Can of Worm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!