Author Topic: Shotton Hall, Harmer Hill, Past inhabitants  (Read 12978 times)

Offline edencars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Shotton Hall, Harmer Hill, Past inhabitants
« on: Tuesday 31 May 05 03:25 BST (UK) »
Shooton Hall is now a new housing estate, a few years ago it was a School for naughty boys, and was since about 1950 owned by Mr Frederick Lennox, I was trying to find out the history before then, any help much appreciated..
Chrissy....
Heath Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire/Berkshire

Offline Allie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shotton Hall, Harmer Hill, Past inhabitants
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 05 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissy,

I have had a look into this for you and have found some of the entries in census records confusing to say the least.

In 1901 it was occupied by Capt. A L Butler, a retired Captain in HM Army born Middlesex

In 1891 it was the Watkins family. I need to check the names properly for you on this one.

In 1881 it lists a John Groome and family. Born Hadnall. This is where the confusion seems to be as I have him listed as being head of house at Shotton Farm on another census return.

1871 has Samuel Bickerton, a farmer and auctioneer from West Felton with his family.

I still have to look at 61 and 51 yet. I'll get back to you and also check out  the accuracy of the others. If you want the details of any of the other family members, let me know

Allie
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire research interests: Betton, Boliver, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Griffiths, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Rogers, Weston, Wilson

Offline JClarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thought you might be interested in this interesting snippet:

‘However, two days before, on October 24th 1927, the Marquess of Cambridge, Brother to the Queen died, having been taken ill at his home, Shotton Hall, near Harmer Hill’.

Excerpt taken from the following website page:

http://www.shropshiretourism.info/shrewsbury/english-bridge/

I assume it's the same place.

John
All Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire: Clarke/Clark, Williams, Prince, Bumford, Sockett, Davis/Davies, Beaumont & Luther
Leics: Clarke/Clark, Anable, Newbold
Montgomeryshire: Williams, Sockett & Thomas
Staffs: Bumford & Davis/Davies

Offline edencars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 02:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Allie and John for replying, the question i submitted was not actually connected to genealogy, I had attended the Boarding School between the years of 1965 and 1975 as a child i had a bit of a night mare being away from home (London) and dealing with a place who's rules and regulations and punishment where some what Victorian, However on a few occasions I had an experience with a Ghost (Your gonna think i am mad) the experiences I had have troubled me on and off through my life, (nothing serious) When your a child and try to explain yourself people just say your imaging things and brush it off, Well I just received an answer from John and nearly fell off my chair, the sightings and experiences of the ghost were of a person of nobility,
Just to make things more spooky I was born on the 24th of October 1957 exactly 30 years after this chap died,
And well I just don't know what to think now!!!!
But thank you anyway.
Chrissy....................

Offline Happy Time Traveller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 February 14 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if anyone is still following this topic. I'm researching a man who was Butler to Watkin James Yuille Strang Watkins of Shotton Hall.
In 1911 census he is butlering for the wife, Muriel Maud Stuart Watkins in Kensington, London - I guess at their London 'pad' but I don't know where Mr Watkins is.
I'm trying to find out what happened to my man next. I know he married the cook in London in 1912, but not sure if he went back to Shotton Hall after.
Did anyone find anything else out?
Thanks

Offline Sniktaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
My Great grandfather Watkin James Yuille Strang Watkins lived there as did my grandfather Lindsay James Watkins but I need to confirm dates

Offline zippidi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 15 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Allie and John for replying, the question i submitted was not actually connected to genealogy, I had attended the Boarding School between the years of 1965 and 1975 as a child i had a bit of a night mare being away from home (London) and dealing with a place who's rules and regulations and punishment where some what Victorian, However on a few occasions I had an experience with a Ghost (Your gonna think i am mad) the experiences I had have troubled me on and off through my life, (nothing serious) When your a child and try to explain yourself people just say your imaging things and brush it off, Well I just received an answer from John and nearly fell off my chair, the sightings and experiences of the ghost were of a person of nobility,
Just to make things more spooky I was born on the 24th of October 1957 exactly 30 years after this chap died,
And well I just don't know what to think now!!!!
But thank you anyway.
Chrissy....................
Odd that you should say that about Shotton Hall. I attended between 1980 and 1982 when John Lampen was head and it was very liberal and quaker like. Loved it!

Offline shellflyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 October 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am trying to find anyone that may attended the school with my father.  He was born in 1946 and his name was Frank Henry Charles Thompson.  II take a guess he may have been around 6 years old when he lived at the school.

If anyone has any information that would help me trace my roots please please get in touch.

I have 3 images but cant attach them

Is there any records on children that lived at the school?

Thanks so much

Shel

Offline edencars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 October 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi I went to shoton hall but a bit later, however there is a Facebook web page dedicated to the school, if you can’t find it add me CHRIS HEATH and I’ll like you to it