Author Topic: Andrew Walker Mitchell  (Read 7775 times)

Offline RIC5878

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Walker Mitchell
« on: Friday 16 November 12 20:41 GMT (UK) »
My G Grandfather Andrew Walker Mitchell born May 4 1873. unable to fine birth place (Polmont)? His mother name Mary possibly (Walker) Immigrated to Canada 1875-78? Fathers name ?? ???
D.RICHARDS/PHILLIPS BLAENPENAL   W.RICHARDS/M.A.POWELL/  D.RICHARDS/M.NELSON-CARDIGAN THOMAS RICHARDS/E.EDWARDS LONDON-ENGLAND.Mitchell family Scotland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Walker Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm. Nothing in the IGI, so we need to explore a little further.

I can see an Andrew W Mitchell, aged 27, born 4 May 1873 in Scotland, in the 1901 census in Lisgar, Manitoba. I take it this is the one you are looking for?

The census says he immigrated in 1875. I note that the next household down is a William Mitchell, born in Scotland in 1849, who also immigrated in 1875. Is this a coincidence?

If he immigrated in 1875, you'd expect to find him in the 1881 and 1891 census, but I've had a look on http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/census/index-e.html and I can't see either Andrew or this William.

Why do you think he was born in Polmont, and that his mother may have been Mary Walker?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RIC5878

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 12 00:11 GMT (UK) »
First Thank you for your time :)
I found Andrew W Mitchell in a 1881 census Canada (Birth 1871) included are John Mitchell 24 Christina 22,Isabella 20 and five more (children)? and Mary age 50   
Province Ontario, District Wentworth.  Also 1901 Census, married to Mary E. Mitchell (McMillan) my grannie is Ellen Walker Mitchell (Kliewer)

Can't find 1891 census
have 1906,1916
Polmont I entered John,Christina,Isabella and found there birth place as Polmont
Parents John and Mary Walker
D.RICHARDS/PHILLIPS BLAENPENAL   W.RICHARDS/M.A.POWELL/  D.RICHARDS/M.NELSON-CARDIGAN THOMAS RICHARDS/E.EDWARDS LONDON-ENGLAND.Mitchell family Scotland

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
This looks to be 1891, in Riverside, Selkirk, Manitoba:

Alexr Mitchell 28
Mary Mitchell 24, sister
Nellie Mitchell 21, sister
Robt Mitchell 26
Andrew Mitchell 22
Mary Mitchell 62, mother

Andrew's birth year from this looks to be around 1869 rather than 1873. The 1881 census also shows him as aged 10, so 1870-1 from that age.

This looks to be the family in Scotland for 1871:

John Mitchall 56, farmer Of 200 Acres Arable
Mary Mitchell 45
John Mitchell 16
Christina Mitchell 14
Isabella Mitchell 13
Alexender Mitchell 12
Robert Mitchell 9
William Mitchell 8
Mary W Mitchell 6
Andrew Mitchell 3
Helen A Mitchell 1

Address: Meadowbank Farm, Polmont Stirlingshire

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Family look to be headed up, as showing in 1871, by a John Mitchell and (as you thought) a Mary Walker. These look to be the children's births www.rootschat.com/links/0s8d/

Andrew's birth shows a little earlier in 1867 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F736-VZD

You can confirm parents' marriage from Andrew's birth cert as this info is included but I think they married just before the start of official registration in Scotland (1855) in 1853 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY7X-MBM

Monica  :)

Offline RIC5878

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 12 19:55 GMT (UK) »
 ;D :)Monica Thank you very much I was now able to fine John Mitchel (one L) in 1861 census and 1841
Father John born 1771
Mother Isabel born 1781
sister Isabella born 1811
John 1816
Margaret 1826

Still unable to fine what happened to John since he does not show up on the 1881 census.
more digging.

Again Thank you  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 12 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Would help to find the family's shipping manifest to see whether father John went out with them, but can't see anything so far for them between 1871-81, when Isabella shows as a widow in Ontario, which is a pity.

I cannot though see an obvious death entry on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk in Stirlingshire for John Snr, nor a will & testament entry between 1871-81. There are other entries though, if he died outside of Stirlingshire.

I would guess that the whole family would have left for Canada together and father likely died there. Finding a record of this might be difficult though. Can't really see anything that fits for John Snr. on the Ontario death index but sometimes the lack of a spouse's name on these registrations at this time makes it hard to be certain whether you have the right entry or not.

As an aside, not sure if you have this. Andrew's eldest brother and sister, John and Christina, married a brother and sister (John and Precilla Butrumm), on the same day of 14 March 1888 in Wentworth, Ontario.

Monica

Offline RIC5878

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 November 12 23:29 GMT (UK) »
:)Thank you I didn't have that information on John and Isabella.

I did come across a clipping from the 1873 August 29, The Edinburgh Gazette about a John Mitchell (farmer Meadowbank and Kersiebank farms) I am trying to check more on this newspaper clip.

Thank you once again your help is greatly appreciated  ;D

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 November 12 08:49 GMT (UK) »
This one here www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/8402/pages/532 That is a great find! Maybe if he lost the farms due to financial problems, this led to the family starting a new life in Canada? Helps you further with dates.

Monica

PS: Further note here, a couple of weeks later, of the sequestration of the estate. www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/8407/pages/567

But looks to have been having financial problems from at least a decade earlier www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/7395/pages/26