Author Topic: Andrew Walker Mitchell  (Read 7773 times)

Offline Batkan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Walker Mitchell
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 August 15 12:20 BST (UK) »
John Mitchell (14.5.1769 to 13.5.1847) and his wife Isobel Foot  (31.7.1778) farmed at Meadowbank and Kersiebank and had 8 children (Ann and Helen born 1807 were twins) and a son John born 1810 and another Robert born 1812 died young - leaving the second John born 1814 as the heir. Their youngest son Alexander born 1816 was my great great grandfather. He and his wife Christine Wilson were dairy farmers at Coney Park, Polmont. Kersiebank can be placed on the site of the Inchyra Grange Hotel Polmont. I was born and brought up in one of the nearby villages.

Offline RIC5878

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 August 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
I do believe that this is the same family (1881) Andrew Walker Mitchell was my grandmothers father, Andrew,s family immigrated to Canada (1873?) not sure exact date. With Mary age 50, mother, John 24,Christina 22,Isabella 20, Alexander 18,Robert 16, William 13, Mary W 11, Andrew 10, Helen 8.
Have no sign of John (father) I do have 1871 census of them all being is Polmont, and John 56 farmer of (200Acres). Andrew married Mary Ellen McMillan on June 16-1897in Manitoba . My grandmother was born July 19 1899. Ellen Walker Mitchell, Andrew Walker Mitchell was my Great Grandfather. Still trying to find out what happened to John, did he immigrate to Canada with the family or not???
D.RICHARDS/PHILLIPS BLAENPENAL   W.RICHARDS/M.A.POWELL/  D.RICHARDS/M.NELSON-CARDIGAN THOMAS RICHARDS/E.EDWARDS LONDON-ENGLAND.Mitchell family Scotland

Offline Batkan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 August 15 16:48 BST (UK) »

Yes it's the same family- so we're related!
We've all been searching for the mysterious John - between the 1871 Polmont census and the 1881 Canadian census when Mary is a widow he's got lost somewhere. I've trawled the Falkirk Herald archived obituaries between the two dates, looked at old church records but can't find any trace of what might have happened to him. And can't find a record that he travelled to Canada with or without his family.

His younger brother Alexander had a son also called Alexander and his son - my grandfather- was a John Mitchell.
My grampa's siblings included Alexander, Christina, Robert and William so you can see the continuation of the Mitchell names. We'll keep on searching for John!

Offline RIC5878

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 August 15 18:19 BST (UK) »
This is great! Andrew as mentioned married Mary Ellen McMillan in Margaret, Manitoba in June  of 1897. They had four or five children Ellen Walker (my grannie) 1899, Andrew Ross 1901, Hubert John 1904, Harold Charles 1907, and Sidney Stewart 1914. Andrew Walker Died March 24 1973 in Winnipeg from street car accident. You are right I have also looked and looked for John its as if he has vanished. My Grannie passed away January 26,2007 at the age of 107 years. In Calgary
D.RICHARDS/PHILLIPS BLAENPENAL   W.RICHARDS/M.A.POWELL/  D.RICHARDS/M.NELSON-CARDIGAN THOMAS RICHARDS/E.EDWARDS LONDON-ENGLAND.Mitchell family Scotland

Offline Batkan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 August 15 19:49 BST (UK) »

I decided to take another tack - thought it was strangely brave for the widowed Mary to get on a boat to Canada with 9 children ? So had a look for her family. Have found  what may be her parents - Alexander Walker and Christian Morrison,  an older sister Christian and a younger brother John. 1841 census Bennetston (the old name for Brightons and Polmont station area)
Whatever happened to the parents - in 1851 the sister Christina (sp) is married to James Roberts a master saddler, living in Polmont with sister in law Mary and bro in law John. James Roberts employs 3 men. This is 2 years before Mary married John Mitchell. I can't find James and family in later censuses and was wondering if by any chance they'd emigrated. This is all just guesswork as I haven't checked this in any depth. Probably completely wrong!!
Your grannie in Calgary - do any other of your family live there?

Offline RIC5878

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 August 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
Yes:  My Grannie married John Kliewer they had 4 children Ruth, Ken,Cliff and my mom Iris. Most of us live an Alberta and some in British Columbia. I haven't looked at this for a while but now I am intrigued once again. Thank you I will keep searching for more I do recall seeing an James Mitchell in the Manitoba area whom I believed immigrated from Scotland before Andrew's family.

Offline Batkan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 23:34 BST (UK) »

I live in England now  - I asked where you were because one of my Mitchell cousins from Scotland now lives in Calgary.
He's the one who started the Mitchell family research many years ago that got me interested
I've told him about our chats and he'd like to make contact. If you're interested how do we do this?

Offline RIC5878

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 August 15 02:45 BST (UK) »
I also live in Calgary and  yes it would be exciting to meet, however I myself do not know how to proceed. Possibly someone from Rootschat could help us with the procedure.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 August 15 07:55 BST (UK) »
I myself do not know how to proceed. Possibly someone from Rootschat could help us with the procedure.
Click on the message icon below Batkan's name and you can send him/her a private message (PM).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.