Author Topic: Where is Garrod Cross Langley?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Garrod Cross Langley?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 December 12 08:54 GMT (UK) »
If you do a google maps for Fulmer Common Road, you will see Langley Cottage at the corner of  Fulmer Common Rd and Cherry Tree Lane, go  North up Cherry Tree lane just a little bit and you will see Parkspring Wood on the Right.  I think was probably on Cherry tree Lane between Langley Cottage and what is now Vine Cottage. Notting Grove, may have been rename Hawkswood Grove.  This gives a distance of just over 200 metres between Langley Cottage and Vine Cottage.

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 December 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Names in that area can be  little misleading.
For example:
I have several Baptisms at St Marys Langley Marish, Buckinghamshire between 1813-1833. The address of the parents is given as Ditton in Stoke, if you didn't know the area, you would assume thats Stoke Poges which is quite a way to be travelling for baptisms.

In reality, the address is less than a mile away from the Church, on the road from Datchet to Langley which was later known as Ditton Road  It was on the edge of what was then Stoke Park.

1841 also lists New Windsor as part of Beaconsfield on the census... nowhere near Beaconsfield physically.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 December 12 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Names in that area can be  little misleading.
For example:
I have several Baptisms at St Marys Langley Marish, Buckinghamshire between 1813-1833. The address of the parents is given as Ditton in Stoke, if you didn't know the area, you would assume thats Stoke Poges which is quite a way to be travelling for baptisms.

In reality, the address is less than a mile away from the Church, on the road from Datchet to Langley which was later known as Ditton Road  It was on the edge of what was then Stoke Park.

1841 also lists New Windsor as part of Beaconsfield on the census... nowhere near Beaconsfield physically.

Absolutely. The reasoning behind my query is I am dealing with a very common name in the area and solid info is thin on the ground. He appears to have:-

• baptised his children in Langley St Marys in the 1830s, being described as being "of Langley"
  • appeared in the 1841 census living at "Garrods Cross", which looks to be much nearer Stoke Poges/Wexham/Fulmer than to Langley village
  • died on xmas eve 1844 at "Langley" according to his daughter who said she lived at "Langley"
  • buried at Chalfont St Giles on 2 Jan 1845 being described as being of "Fulmer"

Although I think this is all the same man, the differences in place descriptions is a bit unnerving:-

• why go all the way down to Langley St Marys to baptise his children if he was living in  "Garrods Cross" which is seemingly closest to Stoke Poges/Fulmer? (he was originally from Chalfont St Giles with no known links to Langley).
  • a 9 day gap between dying and being buried is a bit long imo, although perhaps the local vicar/funeral directors were determined to enjoy their xmas before going back to work
  • the death certificate and burial entries not agreeing on his abode; e.g. the Death Cert points to Langley but the burial to Fulmer

As I say, I think the "Fulmer" man buried in Chalfont St Giles in 1845 is the man that was living in Garrods Cross in 1841, but I am not entirely sure.

The obvious explanation is that he lived closish to Langley village in the 1830s, moved a bit further north to the Langley/Fulmer border by 1841 but then went back to visit his daughter down at Langley on xmas eve 1844, where he proceeded to have a few too many mince pies and sherries and keeled over dead.

If only there were censuses every year it would make it soooo much easier!

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 December 12 21:03 GMT (UK) »
The daughter may well have lived in Langley. And he could have died when visiting his daughter.
My grandmother did exactly the same thing! Lived in Datchet Bucks but died whilst visiting her daughter at Christmas in Surbiton Surrey ::)

I also think the burial you found of the Fulmer man is definitely the correct one, the general area that you described on the 1841 census is Fulmer.

Garrods Cross may not be Gerrards Cross at all...but a house by a Garrods Cross memorial... there are a number of these around that area but it may no longer exist.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 December 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
The daughter may well have lived in Langley. And he could have died when visiting his daughter.

Hmm. Just looked at the daughter again and found she was still single in 1851 living with her mother, so it is not likely that she was living separately from her father when he died in 1844. Oh well, not much else I can do to further prove things.

Thanks for your help  :)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
Just for info Nutting Grove actually became Alderbourne Manor - it is on Fulmer Lane - between Tatling End and Fulmer.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 22:43 BST (UK) »
Gerrards Cross (A40) and Langley are nowhere near each other. In your timeframe Jarret's Cross as it was then known (I think) was most likely part of the parish of Chalfont St Peter or of Hedgerley. Langley (A4) is near J5, M4 East of Slough.

It may be a case of relocation of the people you are interested in. There certainly was a beaten track between the place names you mentioned.

Going away to check on parishes. Changed St Giles to St Peter. 

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.