Author Topic: Castlered, Ireland  (Read 7010 times)

Offline Andrzej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Castlered, Ireland
« on: Saturday 17 November 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Greetings,

I am trying to find information regarding my great grandfather who is listed in the 1911 Census as being born ' Ireland Castlered resident'. I can't find a place named Castlered and assume, rightly or wrongly, that this may have been some kind of institution. He was born circa 1859 in Co Mayo and I am thinking around the possibilities of him being orphaned due to the famines etc.  He eventually ended up the Manchester area and married at the age of 18. Any information re Castlered would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Andrew

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Castlered, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 12 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Could it be Castlerea?

What is your ancestor's name?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrzej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 12 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying.......He was Charles Rodgers (possibly changed from Rogers) and was born in 1859

Regards

Andrew

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 12 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

is the first you have of him in 1881 in Ashton?

Where do you have him from Mayo?  Do you have his father's name from the marriage?

heywood

Offline Andrzej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 12 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

I have only accessed the 1911 and 1901 Census info. He married at 18 and had 9 children, one of which was my grandfather, also Charles Rodgers, who I never knew. The whole family resided around the Mossley (near Ashton) area and my father, Wilfred (dec'd), was reluctant to talk about them all due to a number of reasons, mainly religious!!!!

I know that if I subscribe to acquire the census information, I could possibly glean a bit more info but I have been on some Co Mayo sites to find out where he came from, but basically, drew a blank!

OK, I've just taken a break and consulted the Atlas! Yep, Castlereagh is quite close to Mayo. It could therefore be an error on the census with the Castlered entry. (How could this happen?.......after all,I used to be a Deputy Returning Officer for a local authority!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking an interest. Any other information you may be able to give me would be greatly appreciated.

Was it an odd thing that someone had arrived in England from Ireland, presumably on his own, and married by the age of 18? Wouldn't happen nowadays eh!

Regards

Andrew

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 12 22:03 GMT (UK) »
1881 is free to search.  See here

Was it family oral history which gives you Mayo?

What is his father's name from the marriage certificate.

There is more than one Castlerea/gh.

http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/  shows 2 in Mayo

Offline Andrzej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 November 12 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info.

It was always oral information re Co. Mayo and I have no further information re his father's name.

The 1881 census info is spot on. I think that Richard Rodgers was killed in WW1 aged 39. Can't work out why he went to war at that age unless he'd perhaps been a Territorial previously. I am Andrew Rodgers and think that I was called after 'Uncle Andrew' as my dad called him. Thanks for all your help. I would love to 'pin down' great grandfather Charles to a specific place in Ireland and any other suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Andrew Rodgers

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 November 12 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The first thing would be to get his marriage certificate - that would give you his father's name and may help to find a townland in Mayo.

http://mayo.rootsireland.ie/ is a payable site but the free index has no Charles showing up at the moment.  :-\

Offline mrodgerm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Gooday my Great Grandfather is Charles Rodgers and his son,  Richard who indeed died at 39 as a result of injuries suffered at Paschendale.  He died on the 14 October 1917 and is buried at Burlogne.  The son of Richard who is Andrew's brother, who is also named Richard is my father and any information I can find about the family would be most aprecciated.  I understand that Charles's father was also named Michael.

Kind Regards

Michael Rodgers