Author Topic: Sarah Wilkinson of Heydon, Essex  (Read 20923 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Wilkinson of Heydon, Essex
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 November 12 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think Sarah might have survived and gone back to Heydon.  I found these census entries and a death that looks like her, I can't find any other Sarah WILK??SON that looks like this one in 1851,

1861  RG9/812  f.115  p.5  Heydon,  Town: Billinge,  Essex    Registration district: Royston
Lane
Farm House
Sarah WILKERSON    Head    Unm    56    Lace Maker    Bedfordshire Ro???ley

1871    RG10/1359  f.99  p.5  Heydon, Essex    Registration district: Royston

Sarah WILKERSON    Head   Unm    66    Formerly Lace Maker    Riseley Beds

Death
Sarah WILKERSON    Jun Q 1873    Royston    3a  179

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Daisy. I might add I can't be sure the 1851 census is the right one. Nevertheless, if she was only in The Fever Hospital because of illness, she could have gone from Heydon and returned to Heydon. It is interesting she then admits to being unmarried, whereas the 1851 in the hospital states looked like Widow to me. So now I have a death to investigate....J
Heath, Moody, Attwood, King, Baker, Haysman, in Dartford or Chatham Kent
Heath, Moody in Marylebone and Paddington, London
O'Keefe or Keefe in Plaistow

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Daisy, did she have anyone with her on those last two censuses?

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 15:55 GMT (UK) »
No she was living on her own in both 1861 and 1871.

Looking at the familysearch site,

https://familysearch.org/

There are a number of children christened of Joseph and Mary WILKINSON in Riseley, Bedfordshire,

Amos
31 Jul 1803

Beua
13 Apr 1806 

Ann
25 Oct 1807

Elizabeth
07 Apr 1811   

William
08 Jul 1815

Beua seems an unusual name and I wonder if it's a mistrancription and could possibly be Sarah? It sounds odd but I've seen worst mistranscriptions before ::) I can't find any trace of this girl after the baptism.  I can't see the original image so hopefully some kind RootsChat member will be able to look at it for you or you could contact Bedfordshire Archives and see if they will do a quick look up for you,

http://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/CommunityAndLiving/ArchivesAndRecordOffice/Ourenquiryandresearchservice.aspx

If it is Sarah then maybe Ann was born out of wedlock and Sarah fibbed to Ann about father being called Joseph, or Ann just gave her Grandfather's name on the marriage certificate to save face :-\

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I have seen a grandfather's name used before. I will try the Bedfordshire link. Thank you for looking this up. I wonder if Ancestry or Findmypast would have the same transcription. There were a family named Wilkinson in Walthamstow West Ham Essex at the same time as Ann nee Wikinson, Sarah's daughter, was there, married to Reuben Brown. Though I couldn't pin down a connection when I looked at it before, I suspect ann and the other Wilkinson family were related as according to the Walthamstow bereavement people the wife, Rebecca Wilkinson, had either bought or given the use of their own plot to Reuben and Ann (nee Wilkinson) Brown for their family in 1887 (two of Ann and Reuben's children died the same month so it was obviously a family tragedy that might have tugged on Rebecca's heartstrings). In fact three of the Brown children, plus Reuben, and Ann were all buried in that same plot by 1910, and they have an enormous headstone. No other clues! I think Rebecca's husband was a Joseph Wilkinson but I don't have the census handy now.

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 December 12 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy, I was not able to get anywhere without buying a lot of research time on the Bedfordshire site. But I do think you were right about that transcription.
I was tracking an Amos Wilkinson today, born Risley Bedfordshire, he lived in Stevenage, Hertfordshire with his family and then alone by 1861, and died in the early 1870's. Looks like the name spelling got mixed up. J

Offline alwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Daisypetal & Heathgirl. I'm descended from the Joseph Wilkinson route, & may have some family info of interest to you. In my research, I have not been able to identify the parents of Joseph Wilkinson born in Riseley (about 1806) & I ask if you may be able to guide me. With best regards, alwilko.

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 January 15 03:03 GMT (UK) »
There was a Joseph Wilkinson who died in Royston area before 1834 (around 1822 I think), I found that entry on the LDS site. Her daughter Ann was not his child as she was born in 1834. Sarah was listed as a schoolteacher born Riseley Bedfordshire on the entry ledger for the Fever Hospital in Middlesex in 1851. Interesting that the census had her as a lacemaker. It is the right Sarah, as her witness at her wedding was an Annie Tarling, and Rebecca nee Wilkinson who was admitted with her had the married surname Tarling. They were from the same place but I don't know if they were sisters in law or sisters. Any light you can shed on the Royston family?

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 January 15 03:09 GMT (UK) »
I might add that I would like to know if the Rebecca Tarling who died in Walthamstow was the same woman. There was another Rebecca Wilkinson living there with a Joseph, but she was his wife, and she died in the 1900's. I think that Joseph was related to Sarah. Perhaps they were siblings.