Author Topic: Blackhill Cemetery  (Read 11482 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blackhill Cemetery
« on: Sunday 18 November 12 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Does any one have access to the burial records for Blackhill Cemetery.
Loking for the grave of Bella Thompson who died S1/4 1916 age 51. Widow of James Thompson. She had a son James W. Thompson born 1896.
Bella lived on Delves Lane Consett in 1911.
Thanks

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blackhill Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 12 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Bella Thompson is definitely buried at Blackhill, date of burial 27 September 1916, aged 51.

There is more information about Blackhill Cemetery here. http://www.gravetext.co.uk/Blackhill/blackhill.html
The only detailed records currently online are the memorial inscriptions for the 'Old' graveyard, but her name doesn't seem to feature there.

I have sent a message to the person who maintains the Blackhill website, so you might possibly get some more detailed information from that source.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 12 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Zetlander

After being notified of your query by JenB I did a search of the Burial Records. There are quite a few Thompsons buried at Blackhill. I've attached a PDF of the relevant pages. Look for the two burials in Section L, plot 222.

The fact that James' address is shown as what appears to be his place of work seems to suggest that he may have died in an accident.

I had a look through the headstone transcriptions to see if there were any relevant ones - no luck, though there are quite a few Thompson memorials. If you have her son's date of death it will be an easy matter to do a search for him.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

PatB.

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 12 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Zetlander

I got your PMs after I had done a re-check of the headstone inscriptions; the reference to Tinmill Drift kept ringing a faint bell, so I did a search on "Tinmill Drift" rather than "Section L" and found the inscription shown. There are 1400+ inscriptions so far completed for the new graveyard so "needle" and "haystack" spring to mind.

I've attached a three page PDF of Burial Records. The first page shows the burial details of WILLIAM, Father of JAMES. There is no record of anyone else buried in the grave with WILLIAM.

Following on from your PM, the second and third pages show the Thompson burials in 1949 as well as the years immediately before and after that year. JAMES W. THOMPSON does not appear to be present - are you sure you've got the correct forename? It might be worth checking the records for St Ives church at Leadgate, if you're sure of the name.

If you reply to this post, could you do it on this thread rather than by PM since I'm sure users would like to see both sides of the correspondence.

PatB.

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Got the wrong name.
The person I am looking for is ROBERET W THOMPSON

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Zetlander - if you do a Google search for 'Durham Mining Museum Tin Mill Colliery' clicking on the second entry in the  listing will take you to a page on the DMM website that includes a list of those who were killed at Tin Mill Colliery.  James Thompson, a hewer age 28, was killed by a fall of stone on 4th December 1894. 

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 14:51 GMT (UK) »
The person I am looking for is ROBERET W THOMPSON

zetlander's specific area of interest is Robert Thompson, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,624301.msg4724666.html#msg4724666
It is possible he might be Bella's son.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Zetlander

I've just done a detailed search of the Thompson Burial Records and the only mention I can find of Robert W. Thompson is in the relationship column of the last record in the attached PDF. If the father of the deceased child is, in fact, the person you are looking for then the death certificate and/or the birth certificate could furnish useful information.

The date of 1921 suggests that the father will not be very old and may have been married in the previous year or so; a marriage certificate could give you a lead to his wife's name as well as the names of both their fathers. This research is up to you.

I'm reasonably sure that Robert himself is not buried in Blackhill cemetery - at least not up to 1962. It could be worthwhile checking St Ives records at Leadgate for a possible burial and maybe even a marriage, after all, he was playing football on the Leadgate team.

Good luck with your researches.

PatB.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 March 13 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Does any one have access to the burial records for Blackhill Cemetery.
Loking for the grave of Bella Thompson who died S1/4 1916 age 51. Widow of James Thompson. She had a son James W. Thompson born 1896.
Bella lived on Delves Lane Consett in 1911.
Thanks
   This has set my mind spinning.    My first big question is who was Bella Thompson?   My current research was sparked when I saw 'The Dent Family of Ramshaw' request in Blanchland History last week - http://www.blanchlandhistory.org.uk/letters.php
   Blanchland History provided me with 3 email addresses of Dent researchers including that of Linda Goddard.   One of the others has responded and it did appear that we had the answer.  This entry has kind of put that askew.  The John Dent mentioned in Linda's request was the brother of my gt.gt.grandfather George Dent hence my interest.    Isabella Dent was born in 1867 so fairly close to the birthdate of Bella Thompson.   The most likely spouse of Isabella Dent from FreeBMD was either Robert Dobson or John Thompson in Apr/Jun 1888 in Lanchester which is the registration district for Consett.
   I am pretty sure that John and Jane Dent were living in Delves Lane from these Blackhill Burials:
1875    1853      1853         DENT         Dent John            laborer      41
Delves Lane,  Consett                Blackhill Cemetery        04 October 1871           D 157 Consett

1942     1920      1920        DENT         Dent Jane            widow 46
Delves Lane,      Consett                  Blackhill Cemetery       16 January 1872             D 134 Consett

I know too that my gt.gt.Grandfather had a house in Delves Lane - it is in his will of 1863.  Note too that Linda believes Isabella's parents to have both died when she was only three.   Judging by the burials, she was 4 when totally orphaned.

The problem is that we are trying to link Isabella to an Isabella Dent who would have been 46 when she married widower John Walker in Morpeth in 1913.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields