Author Topic: Blackhill Cemetery  (Read 11481 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blackhill Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 March 13 05:33 GMT (UK) »
   I should have looked at Free BMD first.    Looks like we can eliminate Isabella Dent from this Thompson as they have a marriage of James Thompson to Isabella FALLOWS in Jul/Sep 1895 in Lanchester which covers Consett and Blackhill.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline JGEE27

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 09:43 GMT (UK) »
HI IM NEW TO THIS
Does anyone know of a grave in the cemetery for
Mary Gray died 16 Aug 1952 aged 72 and also Ralph Charlton Gray died 31st Jan 1956 aged 79
hope someone can help with this

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 January 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
JGEE27

I have attached a PDF showing all of the Grey/Gray burials in Blackhill cemetery. You can find the two you enquired about in the last couple of pages. There may well be other relatives included in these records. Good luck with your researches.

PatB.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 08:41 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for additional information re my maternal great grandfathers brother, Robert Seaton who buried at Benfieldside Cem. Conside & Knitsley Co Durham.  It appears he dies 8 June 1891 aged 31 yrs.  Do similar records exist for Benfieldside exist?  His wife was Isabella Baxter, son George William Seaton.  Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 March 17 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Abygail,

Attached is a PDF of the SEATON and BAXTER burials in Blackhill/Benfieldside cemetery. The burials in Section P, grave no. 330 are interesting.

PatB.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 March 17 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ever so much for that, I have always thought there should have been more children.  It's sad when they are lost as such an early age.
At 37 yrs is is difficult to speculate what the COD was for George William Seaton, industrial accident? or pneumonia? His father Robert was only 33.  In the depths of winter pneumonia is a contender.
Think I also need to explore the origins of Thomas Seaton from the 1871 census, he was also from Ireland and there were a Robert and a John living at the same address he was boarding at.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Aby

This is the only headstone transcription I can find for any SEATON; it is in the north graveyard and indicates that Thomas was held in high regard by his colleagues and friends.

PatB.

Seaton   1883   In Memory ofTHOMAS SEATON,died July 3rd 1883,aged 47 years.He wasthe first Representative Delegateof the Blastfurnacemenat Consett,andin recognition of the straight-forwardand honest mannerin which he discharged this,and other duties,this stone is erectedby his employersthe Consett Iron Company Limited.As a Teacherin the Primitive MethodistSunday Schoolfor sixteen years,he wasmuch and deservedly respected.[Large, pink granite headstone and plinth on sandstone base.]   M309.

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Aby,

I haven't formatted that inscription very well, so I've attached it as a PDF.

PatB.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Aby

This is the only headstone transcription I can find for any SEATON; it is in the north graveyard and indicates that Thomas was held in high regard by his colleagues and friends.

PatB.

Seaton   1883   In Memory ofTHOMAS SEATON,died July 3rd 1883,aged 47 years.He wasthe first Representative Delegateof the Blastfurnacemenat Consett,andin recognition of the straight-forwardand honest mannerin which he discharged this,and other duties,this stone is erectedby his employersthe Consett Iron Company Limited.As a Teacherin the Primitive MethodistSunday Schoolfor sixteen years,he wasmuch and deservedly respected.[Large, pink granite headstone and plinth on sandstone base.]   M309.
    I find this interesting because in 1881 this Thomas Seaton was living at 38 Roger Street, Blackhill and right next door at No.37 was Jonathan and his wife Phoebe Stephenson and family.   Jonathan and Phoebe were the parents of my Auntie Elsie Stephenson who married my Uncle Jim Draffan.    Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields