Author Topic: Dalgarno of Aberdeen  (Read 21181 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Ruddimanand Jean Dalgarno
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 22 November 12 19:31 GMT (UK) »
You may be right about that,but on the other hand,anything on the certificate could've been corrected,including names!  :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 November 12 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Fist, Not something I was considering at the time.  I don't have credits to check it at the moment.  I found I could buy them half price at the library, but there were no continuation cards available at the time.

Frances

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 22 November 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you already viewed the certificate on scotlandspeople? If so, I think you can see the corrected entry for one credit.As it's not essential at the moment,it'll have to be put on your list of things to do when you've bought more credits!:)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 23 November 12 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Fist
As I said to Monica, I plan a visit to Edinburgh soon.  There are so many things I want to view it will be cheaper even with the travelling!  It may sound odd but I now know much more about people who lived a few hundred years ago yet I don't even have the names of my father's siblings!  We moved from Aberdeen when I was four and visited rarely after that.  I am only getting to know the family now!

Frances

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 23 November 12 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I bet you'll enjoy your trip to Edinburgh. I've never been,but I'm sure I'd spend days there if I got the chance! Happy hunting!
flst

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 23 November 12 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Flst
I was there in September for an introduction - talks and coffee.  We were shown the computers and given some time to use them.  The staff couldn't get us to leave!

Frances

Thanks again for your help.  I am now reviewing what I have gathered and trying to get my head around all the duplicate names in this family.

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dalgarno of Aberdeen
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
Has anyone found a connection between Jean Dalgarno (1799 -1865) and any of the Dalgarno families around Aberdeen in the 18th century?  Jean married William Freeman Ruddiman in 1824.  I believe she had a sister named Barbara, born 1801.  Her parents were William Dalgarno and Margaret Runciman (married 17 Nov 1776).  I think the father of William Dalgarno was John but I may have the wrong person.

I have found at least two distinct families.  I suspect the one from Slains is the more likely but I can not find information to confirm or deny, despite having baptism records from SP.

Frances

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dalgarno of Aberdeen
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 May 13 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,
I have no connection to the family or the area....but with a hour or so to spare on a wet morning I had a look on Familysearch and Freecen website to see what I could find. The unusual surname caught my attention.
Anyway I discovered (as you probably already know) that William and Jean Ruddiman had several children;
twins Margaret and Esther (called after each grandmother) followed by a John (possibly William's father's name ???) and second son William (named after Jean's father).
Their third daughter has a middle name Elizabeth Baxter Ruddiman as does their their son Thomas Milne Ruddiman. Other children are Jane and Isabella. All born in St Nicholas district of Aberdeen.
The use of the middle names may well point to other family members either on the Ruddiman or Dalgarno side of the family.
I did turn up on Familysearch an Alexander Dalgarno born 1766 to a William Dalgarno and Elizabeth Milne. Maybe you already have this info? ??? This Alexander was born at Old Deer Aberdeen.
The date you have given for William Dalgarno and Margaret Runicman is 1776, I found it on Familysearch listed as 13/11/1796. A Typo perhaps :)
Just wondered if perhaps this Alexander is linked to your William. Might be worth looking into. If they were brothers it could mean that Jean Dalgrano used her parental grandmother's maiden name as a middle name for her third son. Phew...I hope I've explained that OK!

Cheers Looby

Added- When I typed out above it was for a new thread which had vanished by the time I came to post the reply :o
This is a cut and paste job I've added to an existing thread. Sorry if it's going over old ground.

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dalgarno of Aberdeen
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 23 May 13 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby
Just checked my tree and the marriage date is definately 1796!  Typo!  I am a bit stuck on where to go.  You are correct about the middle names for Jean's children - I have tracked most of their middle names to other family members.  I am confident with William Dalgarno as Jean's father - this is backed by documentation.  I found a baptism record for a William:

'16 April 1769 John Dalgardno in new in new Clochton had a Child baptised named William in Presence of the Congretation.(from OPR)'

If this is my person, his father was John and this fits your theory.  Jean was married to William Ruddiman.  By coincidence his father also was John so the child was named after two grandparents. I just can't find information to confirm I have the correct John Dalgarno.

Trying a different approach, I worked backwards.  There are only two William Dalgarnos (even allowing for name variants) who died between 1789 and Jean's death.  Given that her parents died before she did and she was born in 1799, the 1789 William can't be him.  That leaves the other William.  He died in 1828 so he is very possible.

Only problem is 1) This William died just north of Peterhead, and
2) I think William was still in business as a mason in Aberdeen until 1831 after which date his Post Office Directory entry disappears.

Dalgarno and its various spellings originated at a Dumfries-shire abbey around the 12th/13 century.  When the monks left the abbey some travelled to NE Scotland and settled in Aberdeen area.  The name is still very common there.  I met someone (surname Dalgarno) at the weekend who had been told the name was possibly Spanish.  There is no evidence for this although it may have a French connection.

Anyway, back to my people; I am aware of a John Dalgarno, born 1753 at Slains.  He had a brother Alexander, a twin born 1756.  Their mother is given as Isabel Clark, not Elizabeth Milne and is not the same Alexander you found.  Complicated, isn't it? 

Pleased to have prevented boredom on a wet day!
Frances