Author Topic: Dalgarno of Aberdeen  (Read 21158 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Ruddimanand Jean Dalgarno
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 November 12 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I'd a look on the National Library of Scotland's website but didn't find any mention of your William Ruddiman:(
Also had a look for a will or inventory on Scotlandspeople,no luck there either.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 November 12 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Is it just a coincidence that your grandmother had Mcgregor as a middle name & that William's son in law was a Mcgregor also?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Probably a typo.  Here is the information:

William Ruddiman:
b.    about 1801
m.    to Jean Dalgarno 7 Feb 1824.  Marriage witnesses were John Ruddiman and William Dalgarno (householder and presumably Jean'sfather)
d.    28 Jan 1860.  The name of his wife is not shown on the certificate, but he is 'married'.

At 1841 census he was a pawnbroker.  When his twin daughters, Margaret and Esther were baptised (13 Dec 1824), his occupation was a Wright.  This is the only use of the middle name Freeman.  The death certificate shows he was a Cabinet maker.  A William Ruddiman (pawnbroker) also turns up as a witness at a baptism in Dundee (from Mennie tree on Ancestry).

Jean Dalgarno, sometimes shown as Jane:
b.    31 May 1799 (I don't have the media for that)
m.   as above, d 7 Sep 1865.
d.   17 Dec 1865
In the 1851 census she was a washerwoman, living at Windy Wynde, Aberdeen.  I had assumed her husband had died and needed to find her own income.  She is the head of the house.  Where was William?  IN 1861 census she is a fund holder.

I don't have any census information after 1841 for William until the death certificate in 1860.

Re McGregor - The twin (Margaret) married Charles McGregor.  They had a large family, one of whom was Jane Smith McGregor.  Jane married Robert Morgan in Aberdeen.  My grandmother is their daughter.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Last question! What does the date 17 Dec 1865 signify?
flst

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Date of death for Jean Dalgarno

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to trace any William Ruddiman and there is one born in the same year residing at Gamrie in 1941 but I don't think he is relevant even though family names are similar, including an appearance of the surname Smith.  I have traced back down my tree to my grandmother and I am certain I have the correct Ruddiman.  I can not find any trace in the 1851 census.  It's as if he died before then.  I double checked what the Mennie family have online, but they also have the 1860 death certificate.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frances

From what you have so far, I think you are following the right line so far  :)

Has anyone checked the original image of the 1851 and 1861 censuses (on SP only I think as I cannot see the family's entry on FreeCen www.freecen.org.uk/) to see what Jane Ruddiman's marital status shows as? A/try's transcripts do not include this info.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you got these entries for children of William and Jane:

www.loadsofpeople.co.uk/ef_11035.html - just search for key word 'baxter' - this is for Elizabeth Baxter Ruddiman.

www.enkel.com/skaterow/web-cards/PS08_294.HTML - details for Thomas Milne Ruddiman.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Isabella b. 1841 I think went on to marry William Ferrier Allan in 1869 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTJ3-DJS (would need to be confirmed via their marriage cert).

Some of their children here www.rootschat.com/links/0s9l/ - looks like twins ran in the family!

From 1881:

William F Allan 34, Comb Merchant b. Aberdeenshire
Isabella Allan 39 b. Aberdeenshire
George M Allan 11 b. Aberdeenshire
William F Allan 9 b Edinburgh
Isabella R Allan 9 b Edinburgh
Henry D Allan 5 b Edinburgh

Address: 377 High St, Edinburgh

Monica