Author Topic: Captain Pack The Falklands approximate 1860  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Pack The Falklands approximate 1860
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 September 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Just a note on the Purchase system for officers. Even today, there's no Royal Army, only Royal regiments, as against Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. One has to remember the origins of the British Army, Cromwell's Commonwealth. His Army laid down their arms in front of the restored King Charles II and then picked them up again.

The Purchase system was a deposit against the loyal and good political behaviour of the officers. In 1751, I think, personal emblems of the Colonels were banned on regimental colours. By 1775, say, Purchase was no longer necessary. Being Britain outmoded habits survived.

Wherever money is concerned there's opportunity for corruption and there was corruption. Lord Cardigan no doubt paid a premium (to the previous colonel) as well as the statutory amount to Government for colonelcy of the 11th Hussars. Then he spent a small fortune on improved quality uniforms including the 'cherrybum' trousers out of his own pocket.

Sometimes, outstanding men were made officers without Purchase, or existing officers promoted without purchase price differential.

One bad case was Rorke's Drift. Colour Sergeant Bourne DCM, B Coy, 2nd Battalion, 24th South Warwickshire Regiment. He was offered a commission after the battle but had to decline because couldn't afford to purchase a commission.

Added: He was a long liver, ended up a colonel, and gave his account on BBC Radio. A transcription has survived and is on You Tube in two parts. Well worth reading.

He mentioned a lot of interesting information. It wasn't 3,000 or 20,000 Zulu's who attacked. Bourne reckoned them at about 700.           
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 September 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
Made the wrong assumption that he was married with Jane Elizabeth Prosser (x-1900), on 21 November 1861. Think this is another Abbott. Think our CC Abbott should be born in the UK, as the Australian one, died in Australia....

I am not understanding your train of thought. The one born in Van Diemens Land was the one who went to the Falklands, married Jane Elizabeth Butler, nee Prosser, and who died in Weston Super Mare.

His death was announced in the Hobart Mercury https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/9136721
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline calidris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 September 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Clear Shaun! You helped me much, very happy with the information. I can't see the birth register, did it noticed 1820 as year of birth?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 September 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Born 11 October 1821, baptised at Hobart 25 February 1822. Parents Edward & Louisa.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline calidris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 September 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ!

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 January 19 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought

There’s a link on here to an item from the Falkland Islands Museum

Have you tried emailing them and local history groups there directl.

A relative of mine captained a ship belonging to the Falkland Islands company  and my grandfather went with him.  I found some information and a photograph but the museum were really helpful and told me they had loads more information they could look out for me.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas