Author Topic: Frederick Richardson and Elizabeth Gillam missing marriage  (Read 2483 times)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Frederick Richardson and Elizabeth Gillam missing marriage
« on: Tuesday 20 November 12 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Fredrick and Elizabeth are my direct paternal great-grandparents.

I cannot get either the Richardson or Gillam lines back beyond these two with any certainty because there marriage hasn’t been located.

In the 1891 census I have been able to locate them at 9 Blenheim Road, Islington, Upper Holloway (ED 34, Piece 146, Folio 6, Page 9) as follows:
   Frederick Richardson   M   Head   25   Wood cutter   Clerkenwell
   Elizabeth      M   Wife   22         Islington
   George      U   Son     4             “
   Frederick      U   Son     2             “
   Charlotte      U   Dau     8m             “

I believe the oldest boy, George, to be the illegitimate son of Elizabeth baptised at the Islington workhouse on 19th May 1886. As it was family tradition that the oldest son be named after the father, that would make the second boy, Frederick, the first son of Frederick senior.

In the 1901 census the family is living at 81 Campbell Road Islington (ED 62, Household 325, Piece 168, Folio 136, Page 48) as follows:
   Frederick Richardson   M   Head   35   Bricklayers lab   London
   Elizabeth      M   Wife   32             “
   George      U   Son   14   Errand boy       “
   Frederick      U   Son   12             “
   Charlotte      U   Dau   10             “
   William       U   Son     8             “
   Charles      U   Son     6             “
   Ellen      U   Dau     4             “
   Florence      U   Dau     2             “
   Edward      U   Son     1             “

In the 1911 census the family is living at 96 Campbell Road Islington (District 10, ED 18, Piece 838) as follows:
   Frederick Richardson   M   Head   46   Labourer                Islington
   Elizabeth      M   Wife   42             “
   William      U   Son   18   grocers assist       “
   Charles      U   Son   16   provision                      “
   Florence      U   Dau   13             “
   Edward      U   Son   11             “
   Dora      U   Dau     9             “

In the 1911 return, Frederick and Elizabeth claim to have been married 26 years and to have had eight children who are all still alive.  This information is confusing in that the marriage would have been in 1885 well before George was born, but only eight children have come from their union when they clearly list nine children across the three census period.

William Richardson is my grandfather and his birth certificate states that he was born 22nd October 1892 (BMD Dec 1892 Islington Vol 1b p219) at 67 Marcellus Road Holloway to Frederick Richardson and Elizabeth Richardson (formerly Gillam).

Elizabeth Richardson died on 9th October 1925 (BMD Dec 1925 Islington Vol 1b p306) at 96 Campbell Road Islington of acute pulmonary tuberculosis and cardiac failure.  Her death certificate states her occupation as being the wife of Frederick Richardson and she was 57 years old.

Frederick lived on at 96 Campbell Road Islington until his death on 31st March 1948 (BMD Jun 1948 Islington Vol 5c p822) when he was 84 years old and died of a heart attack.

Through a tedious process of elimination using occupations and locations, I believe Fredrick’s parents were John Richardson and Ellen Sherman.  I haven’t been able to prove this, mainly because of the lack of a marriage, but also because of the variable ages provided in the various documents and the commonality of his name.

For Elizabeth Gillam, I believe her parents are Joseph Gillam and Elizabeth Hitchcock by using a similar process as above.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Richardson and Elizabeth Gillam missing marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the following on 1881

RG11/354 FOLIO 85 PAGE32

Just by coincidence there are 2 families on this page Gillam and Richardson, Frederick Richardson aged 16 a carpenter along with his parents

What about variations on the surname Gillam, Gwillam ?

Have you got Richard and Elizabeth's actual date of birth?

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louisa,

I have had a look at your reference for 1881 and don't believe it is my Frederick Richardson due to the place of birth being Chippenham Wilthsire.

I don't have their actual birth dates as these have been lost from our oral family history.

Cheers, Colin
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 12:03 GMT (UK) »
That's a shame Colin, I looked for a baptism but couldn't find one that corresponded with info you gave

Don't be surprised if they never married, my GT grandmother was already married and then had 10 other children with my GT grandfather, I have never found a marriage, unfortunately my Gt grandmother died in 1910 and just missed the census, he put himself down as single on 1911, no more found about them

Don't give up

regards

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have long been suspecting that they were never married which causes immense difficulty in pushing these lines further back.

They seem to have been very suspicious of government authority and only filling the barest minimum on any forms, and often conflicting facts too.

I fear I am chasing a shadow.

Offline Mimbyjim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
I also have an Elizabeth Gillam - she married Robert Roberts at St George Hanover Sq London in 1807 - witnesses Ann Harriet (I think!) and Jonathan Gillman, possibly her father?      If anyone else has any knowledge of this family I would be grateful to know who her parents were.  Philippa

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 18 05:28 GMT (UK) »
I believe the oldest boy, George, to be the illegitimate son of Elizabeth baptised at the Islington workhouse on 19th May 1886. As it was family tradition that the oldest son be named after the father, that would make the second boy, Frederick, the first son of Frederick senior.

After another 4 years or so it just dawned on me to see if Fred and Elizabeth were in the workhouse together in May 1886, and it turns out they could well have been.

Can some kind sole soul please check Workhouse Admissions for Islington in May 1886 for following names to see if they are connected in any possible way:

Elizth/Elizabeth Gilham, Geo Wm Gilham, Male Child Gilham, Male Inft Gilham

Fredk/Frederick Richardson

I would REALLY like to know if any mention of their respective parents is noted, but I suspect not.