Author Topic: McCormack of Tulsk  (Read 19570 times)

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCormack of Tulsk
« on: Tuesday 20 November 12 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information re Julia McCormack who married Martin Darcy in early 1800s. My great grandfather was their son Francis. He migrated to Australia with his wife Honora (also McCormack) in 1850s or 1860s. Any leads gratefully received!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCormack of Tulsk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 12 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Family Search shows a Julia Darcy death for 1864 which could possibly fit with the time line for your family.

You could send for the certificate http://www.groireland.ie/  which may give you a more precise townland and an informant of death.

As your records are very early, it is difficult to get any information. See here:
Introduction to Irish Records

It looks as though there are no available records pre 1865 for Roman Catholic Records and I am unsure about Church of Ireland records.for that period.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thank you for your suggestion. I'll follow it up and let you know!

Offline mccormackpj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi -

I have found it difficult to track McCormacks in Tulsk, or at least to connect them with certainty to my family tree, so your message was v welcome!

My great-grandfather was a Patrick McCormack, b. 1827-1828, married Catherine nee Flattery. I think there were at least four children, including my grandfather Michael Patrick, b. 1871, d. 1921. His baptism certificate gives their location as "Lower Manor, Tulsk".

As my grandfather emigrated to S Africa late 19th century, we have no knowledge of the Roscommon McCormacks. Any information and connections would be good.

Patrick McCormack

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 12 23:55 GMT (UK) »
I have just spent this evening looking up details of a family that may have a connection

William DARCY (Father Martin)
married Ryefield Carrick-on-Shannon March 4th 1867 (Civil Record Carrick-on-shannon 1867 V3 P90)
Catherine McCORMICK (Father Michael)
They lived in Kilcooley, Tulsk and had 10 children according to the 1911 census of which I have located 9; one of whom was my friends grandmother
I do not have very much as this was only started and looked at tonight but if you think there may be a connection let me know and I'll share what I have so far
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 12 08:23 GMT (UK) »
myluck! I'm think that the Martin Darcy, father of William is also the father of my great grandfather, Francis was the father. It is interesting that William also married a McCormack. Whether your Catherine and my Julia are related I wonder about, as Julia McCormack married Martin Darcy. Francis marrying a McCormack is curious enough. Could his brother also have married a McCormack?

mccormack pj: this could be a great connection. I too need time to check some details and I'll get back to you!
Thanks for both leads!
Shrimpton.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 December 12 09:45 GMT (UK) »
no problem Shrimpton

In my own tree I have two sisters marrying two brothers (my family tree software rebelled!); also in researching my Roscommon roots the number of times I have heard "but that isn't the same family" where there is a common surname! The probably were way back but its been lost in time.

For wonderful complexity I also have a Mannion/Mangan marriage and a Mannion/Manning marriage which I had thought was a spelling variation for a long time!

I have found the 10th child to William DARCY and Catherine McCORMICK and I'm still searching on the family;
for the record their names are Martin, Mary, Julia, Brigid, Catherine, Eliza, Jane, Teresa, Emily and Denis born between 1868 and 1893
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 December 12 09:06 GMT (UK) »
I think your William is definitely my Francis's brother as the given names in both families are common. What I have is that Martin Darcy and Julia McCormack (sometimes with an 'i') married in Kilcooley i 1827. They had 6 children: Thomas, Francis, Martin, Denis, William and Jane. William and Jane stayed in Ireland. Francis Martin and Denis went to Australia.
Thomas (died Ireland 1908) married Honora McNeeve. 9 children
Francis (born Tulsk 1829; died Melbourne 1913) married Honora McCormack. 10 children
Denis (born Elphin 1836, died Victoria Australia1911) married Bridget Byrne nee Kelly. 4 children.
William (born Tulsk, died 1920 Ireland) married Catherine McCormack Elphin, 4 March 1867. 13 children. Five went to America. None of their 3 sons married so the Darcy line ended. Catherine was born in Kilcooley, daughter of Michael McCormack and Brigid Brennan.
Eleven of their children's names as I have were: Maria (died USA), Catherine (nun died South Africa); Jane (married ? Heron,died USA); Julia (married ? Gilroy, died USA); Bridget (married ? O'Brien, died USA); Martin (born 1868, died USA); Elizabeth (born 1878); John B. 1880); Teresa ((b. 1884); Denis (born 1886, died Tulsk); Emily (b. 1890)
 Does this connect/help? Very interested to share more to unravel these McCormacks!!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 December 12 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Although I have a different number of children my information seems to match yours very well!

I think your William is definitely my Francis's brother as the given names in both families are common. I agree!

What I have is that Martin Darcy and Julia McCormack (sometimes with an 'i') married in Kilcooley i 1827.

They had 6 children: Thomas, Francis, Martin, Denis, William and Jane.

William and Jane stayed in Ireland. Did Thomas stay in Ireland?
Francis Martin and Denis went to Australia.

Thomas (died Ireland 1908) married Honora McNeeve. 9 children  I have found nine records

Francis (born Tulsk 1829; died Melbourne 1913) married Honora McCormack. 10 children Did he marry and have his children in Australia?

Denis (born Elphin 1836, died Victoria Australia1911) married Bridget Byrne nee Kelly. 4 children.Did he marry and have his children in Australia?

William (born Tulsk, died 1920 Ireland) married Catherine McCormack Elphin, 4 March 1867. 13 children. Five went to America. None of their 3 sons married so the Darcy line ended. Catherine was born in Kilcooley, daughter of Michael McCormack and Brigid Brennan. I have from the 1911 Census that they had 10 children but this of course was not always correct

Eleven of their children's names as I have were:
Maria (died USA) I have born May 28 1870 died Jan 24 1945 Rhode Island USA unmarried
Catherine (nun died South Africa) I have born Sep 01 1876 - no other details
Jane (married ? Heron,died USA) I have born Jun 20 1880 - no other details
Julia (married ? Gilroy, died USA) I have born May 11 1872 She married William GILROY and had at least four children; William, Lawrence, Julia and Catherine; she died Feb 10 1944 Rhode Island USA unmarried
Bridget (married ? O'Brien, died USA) I have born May 29 1874 - no other details
Martin (born 1868, died USA) I have born Jun 23 1868 died Oct 02 1938
Elizabeth (born 1878) I have born Nov 18 1878 - no other details
John (B. 1880) I DID NOT HAVE
Teresa ((b. 1884) I have born Apr 26 1884 she married John CONNOLLY/CONNELLY/CONNEELY and lived at Castleplunkett Milltown
Denis (born 1886, died Tulsk) I cannot locate a birth for Denis but he is shown as 11 in 1901 and 26 in 1911 which implies a 5 year variance in his date of birth; I also cannot see a death for a Denis D'Arcy
Emily (b. 1890) I have born ??Roscommon Jul-Sep 1890 V2P244 Possibly died ??Roscommon Jan-Mar 1938 V3 P181

1911 Census for William and Catherine
1901 Census for William and Catherine
1901 Census for Martin D'Arcy
Further generations: