Author Topic: McCormack of Tulsk  (Read 19622 times)

Offline mccormackpj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCormack of Tulsk
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi -

Not sure if you are Kieran using a different profile name or someone else!

Do you have any dates for any of these names? It would help to tie up the various strands.

I have downloaded all McCormacks in Roscommon from the 1901 and 1911 censuses and will try to make sense of it later. I will concentrate on those in and near Tulsk and see what I come up with.

Patrick

Well there certainly are connections but I'm not clear about what they are! I have Patrick and Hannah (no actual evidence around her name) with children: Mary, Honora, Ann and Jane, plus one other female who married a Brennan. Mary married a Stephen Noonan, Ann married a 1st cousin Bernard Coyne, Jane married a Thomas Connor, and my link Honora married Francis Darcy. Does this provide any clues for other connections?

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 March 14 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Patrick, I'm Shrimpton who started this thread a while ago and just discovered your posts and Kierans. Dates are mid 1800s. See earlier response to myluck where there are quite a few dates given.
Must fly now but will respond in more detailed over weekend! Cheers

Offline ned kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 April 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
I am descended from the Mc Cormacks of Ogulla Tulsk. My great grandfather was Patrick Mc Cormack amd my grandmother was Kate (Catherine) McCormack. See 1901 and 1911 Census. However I don't know of a relationship between my family and the D'arcys of Kilcooley. However,I know the house where the D'Arcys lived in Kilcooley. Denis b. 1883? never married and died circa 1960's was a well known herdsman with a vast knowledge of remedies and cures for amimals passed down through generations. I have heard many stories about him from my dad. I know some people in the locality who remember him quite well. The D'arcy homestead is now owned by MJ Simpson. The house is intact somewhat and used as a store for hay and is on the Strokestown /Tulsk road.

Offline FionaAnne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hey, I just came across these posts so hope you're still watching the forum. Julia Darcy married to Martin Darcy are my great-great-great grandparents through their daughter Jane HAMMELL (born DARCY) b. 1844 d.1929. Her daugher, Mary Jane Rogers (Born HAMMELL) is my great grandmother. She had 8 kids.

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 April 15 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi FionaAnne, I think the link is that your Jane was the sister of my great grandfather Francis Darcy. I know quite a lot about the Darcy family but not so the McCormacks. (Julia DArcy was a McCormack.)
Happy to share further information. Shrimpton

Offline FionaAnne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 April 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, I believe that's correct. I can't seem to find anything before Martin Darcy and Julia Darcy/McCormack. It seems two of their sons married McCormack's also. Any theories?

Also, I've another McCormack in my family tree. Julia Darcy/McCormack + Martin Darcy = Jane Darcy/Hammell. Her daughter was Mary Jane Rogers/Hammell and her daughter was Mary Jane McCormack (born Rogers)

I'm finding variations of Darcy. It's sometimes spelt D'Arcy and D'arcy. Have you found that to be the case also?

Any info you have would be appreciated. Current blanks I'm trying to fill in:
Did Dennis and Martin Darcy Jr marry?
Do you know the exact birth year of William Darcy? Birth and Death year of Martin Darcy Jr?
What were the names of Francis Darcy kids? I only have an Anna Darcy b.1880 or 1881 d.1971 in Australia

Please let me know if you want anything about the Jane Hammell line. (Sometimes, its spelt Hamill)

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 April 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
If you go back to the beginning of this thread you'll see lots of dates and names that will be relevant. :)

Offline SearchingForMyIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am very very new to all of this! I am frantically searching for my Great Grandmothers information, Jane Darcy of Tulsk, Roscommon, daughter of William and Catherine (McCarmick) Darcy. Would you be willing to share some of the Darcy information that you have from the family history? Jane immigrated to the US and married William Herron (Heron). They resided in Providence RI and had three children, William, Gladys, and Catherine.

I am visiting Roscommon Ireland in May and would be thrilled to be able to visit their homestead and graves. If you have any information that you can share I would be ever so appreciative! Thank you in advance!

We do seem to have a connection! My information comes from a Darcy family history written by a 2nd cousin (I think!) in the 1980s or 90s sometime. It was certainly pre-computer data-bases for family history.
Very happy to share more information. Is there a way I can provide my email address 'off-line'?
Yes all bar Mary, Francis' 1st child were born in Australia. My grandmother, Anna was born in Ballarat  in 1880. I think about 5 of the 10 children died in early 20s of TB.
As I have quite a bit of information re the Darcys, my hope is to learn more about the McCormacks. I think Honora's (Francis' wife) parents were Patrick and Margaret, and they had several daughters.
Francis' mother, Julia McCormack, I know nothing of her family. As she married Martin in 1829, it is going back a bit!

Offline FionaAnne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 March 16 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hey, I don't know much about Jane Darcy Heron. She is my first cousin three times removed. I'd love to hear more about anything you know about that side of the family tree!

So Jane Heron's father was William Darcy (who died in 1920) and he married Catherine McCormick. They had at least 11 children (possibly 13):
Martin b. 1868 & d. 1938 in Warwick, RI
Maria b. 1870 & d. 1945 in Cranston, Providence, RI
Julia b. 1872 & d. 1944 in Bristol, RI (married William Gilroy and had 4 kids)
Bridget Darcy b. 1874, married O'Brien and died in the USA
Sr. Catherine b. 1st September 1876 and d. in South Africa
Elizabeth b. 1878 & DOD unknown

John b. 12th June 1880
Jane b. 20th June 1880 (clearly, I've a fact wrong here)

Teresa b. 1884 and d. 1870 in Co. Roscommon. She married Edward Connelly and had 2 girls.
Dennis b. 1886 and DOD unknown but died in Co. Roscommon
Emily b. 1890 & d. 1938

William Darcy's parents were Martin Darcy and Julia Darcy (born McCormack)
They had 6 children:
Thomas
Francis Darcy b. 1829
Martin Darcy Jr.
William
Denis
Jane Hammil b. 1844 - my great great grandmother

Let me know if any of this sounds familiar.

- Fiona