Author Topic: McCormack of Tulsk  (Read 19569 times)

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCormack of Tulsk
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
We do seem to have a connection! My information comes from a Darcy family history written by a 2nd cousin (I think!) in the 1980s or 90s sometime. It was certainly pre-computer data-bases for family history.
Very happy to share more information. Is there a way I can provide my email address 'off-line'?
Yes all bar Mary, Francis' 1st child were born in Australia. My grandmother, Anna was born in Ballarat  in 1880. I think about 5 of the 10 children died in early 20s of TB.
As I have quite a bit of information re the Darcys, my hope is to learn more about the McCormacks. I think Honora's (Francis' wife) parents were Patrick and Margaret, and they had several daughters.
Francis' mother, Julia McCormack, I know nothing of her family. As she married Martin in 1829, it is going back a bit!

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 January 13 08:26 GMT (UK) »
McCormackpj: you mentioned your gr. grandfather, Patrick, had several children. Do you know their names and approx. when they were born in 19th century? My gr grandmother, Honora McCormack (b. 1833 ish)  :)had several sisters that I'm aware of and her parents were, I think, Patrick and Margaret. I'm wondering if there is any link with your Patrick. Thanks

Offline Ruskit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 May 13 03:04 BST (UK) »
Shrimpton
Which relative of mine are you?
I am Maimie's youngest daughter and great grand-daughter of Julia McCormack.

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 May 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Not sure who Maimie is, so not sure of relationship. Which Julia is you great grandmother? Sorry need more information to sort out.  ???

Offline Ruskit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 May 13 23:40 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandmother was Anna D'Arcy (1881-1971). She was the daughter of Francis D'Arcy and Honora McCormack of Tulsk, Roscommon who emigrated to Australia on the Red Jacket in c1864. They had 10 children - Mary (born in Ireland), Julia, Kathleen, Honor, Jane, Martin, Francis, Anna, Harold and Patrick.
My mother Mary (Maimie) was Anna's eldest daughter and one of 8 children.

Offline kizbrennan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi mate,

I am wondering if we have the same great (in my case great great) grandfather? Patrick McCormick, born in 1828, Carrowkeel, Tulsk, Ireland. Married to Catherine Flattery, born in 1832 Manor, Tulsk, Ireland. Patrick's daughter Mary E McCormick  married James Brennan in 1885, who gave birth to James Brennan my grandfather. I am wondering if this is the same man, would you happen to know Patrick's or Catherine's previous line? I know that Patrick's father is William McCormick, married to Eleanor Dolan, but that's as far as I can go.

It'll be great to hear back from you.

Cheers,

Kieran Brennan

Offline mccormackpj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 March 14 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Kieran -

This looks a possible connection. I find the '-mack' and '-mick' variants are often interchangeable, even now!

Certainly I have a DoB for Patrick McCormack of 1828, married to Catherine nee Flattery. I recently found entries in Griffith's Valuation for Flatterys in Manor, Tulsk, so am able to locate their residences.

I haven't yet found DoB records for your Mary McCormack, only for Anne (1864), Daniel (1867), Thomas (1873) and my grandfather Michael (1871). I do have a picture of Michael, my grandmother and my father in South Africa with a lady identified as 'Kathleen McCormack'. I haven't found any records for her, but perhaps that was not her first name, being possibly Anne or your Mary.

The family story was that my grandfather was the 12th of 13 children. If so, then the eldest would have been born c.1860, barring twins etc. However as I said I haven't yet found DoBs for other McCormack siblings in Tulsk. Perhaps I should look further afield. There are certainly still McCormacks in Tulsk: http://www.irishangus.ie/html/shows_2012.html

TBH, my research into my Irish roots have been rather amateur and undisciplined. No doubt there are plenty of more records to find and connections to be made.

Patrick

Hi mate,

I am wondering if we have the same great (in my case great great) grandfather? Patrick McCormick, born in 1828, Carrowkeel, Tulsk, Ireland. Married to Catherine Flattery, born in 1832 Manor, Tulsk, Ireland. Patrick's daughter Mary E McCormick  married James Brennan in 1885, who gave birth to James Brennan my grandfather. I am wondering if this is the same man, would you happen to know Patrick's or Catherine's previous line? I know that Patrick's father is William McCormick, married to Eleanor Dolan, but that's as far as I can go.

Cheers,

Kieran Brennan

Offline mccormackpj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 March 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Kieran -

I've been digging in Griffith's Valuation and found a load more McCorma/icks around Tulsk, also the Flatterys of Manor, Killukin and a John Brennan also in Manor.

Have you used Griffith's Valuation? It's available free of charge here: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch I like it 'cos you can print pages from the Valuation and also view, zoom, scroll a map showing the plots, which is excellent for showing where the occupiers I'm interested in are located.

Patrick

Hi mate,

Cheers,

Kieran Brennan

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Well there certainly are connections but I'm not clear about what they are! I have Patrick and Hannah (no actual evidence around her name) with children: Mary, Honora, Ann and Jane, plus one other female who married a Brennan. Mary married a Stephen Noonan, Ann married a 1st cousin Bernard Coyne, Jane married a Thomas Connor, and my link Honora married Francis Darcy. Does this provide any clues for other connections?