Author Topic: William Trotter 1836-1910, Kelso  (Read 8552 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: William Trotter 1836-1910, Kelso
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 November 12 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Might just be a coincidence but William and Margaret are living at Gray's Close in 1881.
A lot of conflicting evidence for William Trotter's birthplace and age.
From what terianne has found in the Kelso Poor Law records(b. c1833 Legerwood) would seem to match up with the 1851 Census in Gray's Close.

Jane/Jean Trotter with son George in 1861 -
http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=79308096

Is this George ?(East Lothian not Berwick) -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTYH-D2Z

Jane Totter(other surname Graham) death 1867 Kelso Roxburgh , born c1788(SP)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Steffani

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 November 12 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Terianne and ev for the info

I'm slowly working my way through the info from terianne and so far have found both marriages for Mary and William,  which confirm the marriage date of Parents William and Margaret.  Still can't narrow down a marriage on SP though.  (maybe they never officially married??? :-*)

I agree ev about the birth of William snr,  so much conflicting info.  Maybe he just didn't really know where he was born?  I don't know much about the area they lived in at the time but it seems the family were quite poor. 

Where do you find the poorhouse records are they avaiable online?

Stephanie
Rendell, Orchard,  from Dorset
Rendell New Zealand
Madigan, Ireland & New Zealand
Holyoake, Foster, London & New Zealand
Trotter, Edinburgh and New Zealand
Ritchie, Perthshire & Edinburgh
Lyall & Anderson, Edinburgh
Kerr, Ayrshire
Tompkins, New Zealand
Williams, Kent and New Zealand
Herd, Kent

Offline Steffani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 November 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Might just be a coincidence but William and Margaret are living at Gray's Close in 1881.
A lot of conflicting evidence for William Trotter's birthplace and age.
From what terianne has found in the Kelso Poor Law records(b. c1833 Legerwood) would seem to match up with the 1851 Census in Gray's Close.

Jane/Jean Trotter with son George in 1861 -
http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=79308096

Is this George ?(East Lothian not Berwick) -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTYH-D2Z

Jane Totter(other surname Graham) death 1867 Kelso Roxburgh , born c1788(SP)

ev

Have had a look at the death Cert for this Jane Trotter,  Matches the 1861 Census Address and is right age.  Witness is Son Alexander (coincedence that the 1841 census info you suggested earlier  has an Alex on it??, haved viewed this on Ancestry.com and it just lists place of birth as scotland,  not very helpful) 

Janes parents are listed as James Graham and no name for mother m.s is not very easy to read.  Also states widow of Thomas. 

It's possible that this is her,  can't spot a marriage between a Jean/jane Graham and Thomas Trotter,  will keep looking though
Rendell New Zealand
Kerr, Ayrshire
Tompkins, New Zealand
Herd, Kent

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Steffani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 November 12 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Yay ev,  I think you are onto something there,  certainly ties up with the Census info.  Throws in a new child (Thomas) just to confuse the picture. 

Going to head to bed here,  it's nearly midnight her in little old NZ,  I really appreciate all your help.  You also gave me some help in my queary re the Ritchies in Forgandenny Perth.  These 2 families are connected when William and Margaret's son Thomas marries Jane Ritchie in 1877.  They have a son Thomas who is my great Grandfather. So I thank you again for all your time and effort, I really aprreciate it.
Rendell New Zealand
Kerr, Ayrshire
Tompkins, New Zealand
Herd, Kent

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 November 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
just in case you are confused about the county oldhamstock comes into over the years it have moved between Berwickshire and East Lothian because it right of the limits of the two its near Cockburnspath, Berwickshire

Also the same thing has happening with Stow, sometimes is in Berwickshire, Selkirkshire or Mid Lothian dependent of boundary changes.

With regards to the Kelso Poor Law info I gave you - I don't think its online yet.  I used the CD compiled by the Late Audrey Mitchell which is available form the Borders Family History Society - their CD's are good - you can buy them - see they Website,(www.bordersfhs.org.uk) they have a good stock of Local CD's ie MI, Poor Law, etc & also run a forum and research service.

Offline Steffani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 November 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
just in case you are confused about the county oldhamstock comes into over the years it have moved between Berwickshire and East Lothian because it right of the limits of the two its near Cockburnspath, Berwickshire

Also the same thing has happening with Stow, sometimes is in Berwickshire, Selkirkshire or Mid Lothian dependent of boundary changes.

Thanks for that wee gem of info,  it certainly confuses me trying to work out where everything fits in.  It's like trying to work with the Electoral Boundaries in NZ, which is what rely on a lot of the time to track where families lived and moved to as the Census records here were not kept.   :(
Rendell New Zealand
Kerr, Ayrshire
Tompkins, New Zealand
Herd, Kent

Offline Venton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 October 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I'm searching for some information on William Trotter.  I've trace my history back to his birth in Jedburgh in 1865.  It also says he married Caroline Dill in Gowery in 1715.  It also shows he had a son named Ephraim that was born in 1702 here in the United States.  Apparently from a previous marriage or?  they had three children named James, Phillip, and Nancy.  Does anyone have any information about William.
Thank you,
Venton