Author Topic: gotobed family  (Read 20255 times)

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gotobed family
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
I was christened with the surname of gotobed many moons ago . My family changed it by deed poll some years ago three generations of us have lived in west pinchbeck lincolnshire,but my great ,great gradfather James Gotobed is buried in Horningsea churchyard in cambridgeshire i have little history beyond his time is there any decendants still living in the village i wonder?

I had lunch with a friend today who lives in Horningsea and remembers there was an elderly couple there in their nineties who passed away about 10 years ago.

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 08 June 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
I have two GOTOBED links amongst my CORNWELL families - both named William. One married Susan CORNWELL (born c.1832) at St George's Littleport on 22 Nov 1851 and the second William GOTOBED married Sarah CORNWELL (born c.1862) also of Littleport but exactly where & when I don't yet know.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 12 June 17 17:14 BST (UK) »
Got the same ones Peter.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 14 August 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
Haven't found anymore on the Horningsea Gotobed's so far. The parish records at the Archives
are from 1599 - 2005. Still working on it.

In the meantime, somehow I have a couple of pages from an old newspaper. No idea how, where it
came from or why. Anyway there is one small snippet of info that I'm going to post, just for the heck of it.

The Luton News Thursday October 17, 1940.

GOTOBED - On October 12th, 1940, to Mr. and Mrs. P. Gotobed (nee Edna Brown), of Kensal Rise, a daughter.

No sign of Kensal Rise in Luton .......

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 14 August 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Just a suggestion, the mother might well have been from Luton, then after marriage living in Kensal Rise.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
Good point Redroger.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
my family details were and are similar.

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Guess what Redroger ...... I was christened in the Parish Church from where my Mother came from in
the North of England but I was born in the South.

The penny has taken a very long time to drop on that one.  ::)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 17 August 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
That sounds very similar to my classic brickwall, 2xgreat grandfather who was born 1776, probably illegitimately. His army discharge (Kilmainham 1811) says he was born in York, yet, if I have the right suspect he was baptised at Henstridge Somerset in 1777. I have a theory that his mother was very likely to have been a camp follower with a regiment that was stationed near Sherborne (Dorset) in 1775, with whom his father enlisted that year and took her with him. Unfortunately enlistment details for either my 2 or3X great grandfathers do not appear to have survived. The parish where he was supposedly born was St. Mary's, York, (there are 4'!) none of which has the baptism. His surname, Luffman was unknown in the north of England before my 2xGGF in Lincolnshire 1797 with the Somerset militia. Any suggestions welcome.