Author Topic: Ewanrigg Hall Maryport Cumbria  (Read 9586 times)

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ewanrigg Hall Maryport Cumbria
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 May 17 12:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the site by the way. You will find it fascinating and people bend over backwards to help. Once you have made three posts I shall be able to send you a personal message with my email address. I can then send you a copy of the will of John Nicholson and lots of other stuff. Alan
Bookless,Varty, Collins, Birchall, Nicholson, Corlett, Barnett

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Phine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 May 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
I don't think Annie had a horrible life like Louisa did. She and A B Dalzell lived a fairly comfortable life as A B was owner of a ship's chandler or fitters business in Liverpool. They had 5 children, 3 boys & 2 girls. The youngest, a girl, (another Annie I think) died aged 14. My father. John, emigrated to Australia & hence I am Australian!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 May 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
I am just looking at the 1911 census. AB calls himself a ship store merchant. They are living on Breck/Beck road. Annie seemed to have died in 1925.

Offline Phine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 May 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, she died in 1925. I have letters written by her daughter to my father as their mother was dying. I think A B died the next year. We have a large photo of a woman we think might be Annie but there is no identification on it.

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 15 May 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
AB died 12th March 1926. Do you know that they called their house Ewanrigg. He left a will for 8269 with the executor being Evelyn Mary Dor lisa Taylor, wife of Edmund Collins Taylor.

Offline Phine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 15 May 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Evelyn Taylor was dad's sister married th "Teddy" Taylor. I have met a son, Peter, now deceased & his wife, Anne. I didn't know about the will. Quite sizable for the times I would say. I take it you have actually determined that Annie Greenhow Nicholson was really one of John Nicholson's offspring. I have no details of her family connections. My father called our house in Australia, Ewanrigg.

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 May 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
Annie is on the 1861 census with father John Nicholson living at Ewanrigg Hall. She is 9 so was born about 1852. She is living with her mother in Flimby on the 1871 census. Her mother is retired, Annie us shown as being a Lady.  Where does the name Greenhow come from? I can not find this middle name on any documentation. 

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 15 May 17 15:08 BST (UK) »
Annie we baptised 10 sep1851 at Brigham. Father John Nicholson, mother Mary. No mention of Greenhow though.

Offline Phine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 May 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
I have a China mug which I understood is a christening cup with handwriting (beautiful script) Annie Greenhow Nicholson 1860. Hence I assumed that was about the time of her birth. Is there such a thing as a Confirmation cup then? Don't have any ideas about Greenhow.  Name of Mary Greenhow Nicholson in the list previously posted alerted me to enquire about my grandmother, Annie. It's all a mystery .