Author Topic: Aghadowey  (Read 4809 times)

Offline susanbil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aghadowey
« on: Thursday 22 November 12 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm American with scotch-irish roots.  Our Scots came to Aghadowey in 1630 as part of the Plantation.  I haven't had a chance to visit yet, but want to very much.  How does one pronounce "Aghadowey" in English?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aghadowey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 12 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Aghadowey's pronunciation is something like Ock (rhymes with dock) A Doo (rhymes with who) E (as in the letter E)  :)

Aghadowey is the name of the parish as well as a townland in the centre of the parish.

There were several plantations of Scottish settlers into the area over a long period. What surnames do you know and when did your ancestors leave Aghadowey? It's a small place and everyone tends to know everyone else  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline susanbil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 November 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply!  The family surnames were Boyd and Blair - I know quite a bit about them from Ancestry - there are lots of descendents here, but this is the first time I've contacted someone from Aghadowey  - and now I know how to say it!   Thanks again.  I'm off to Thanksgiving dinner.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 November 12 18:03 GMT (UK) »
There were lots of Boyds and Blairs in Aghadowey over the years and much has been written about them but certainly some of the books and articles I've seen are full of mistakes.

I have a very large Boyd family tree going back to early 1700s if you are looking for any in particular.

I'm just off the phone explaining to someone in America that we don't celebrate Thanksgiving because the Pilgrims didn't come here  :) Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner.

Offline susanbil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 12 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Well, I had a wonderful turkey day dinner with lots of family, now I'm soporific, but wanted to complete my answer to you.  The direct ancestors who left Aghadowey were Blairs, headed by Robert and his wife Isabella Rankin.  They were accompanied by James Blair, the elderly father of Robert, and a hero of the siege of Londonderry.  Robert's mother had been the late Rachel Boyd, daughter of James Boyd, Lord of Kilmarnock, and his wife Catherine Creyke. They were residents of Aghadowey.  The younger family sailed from Belfast, I think, on the ship "Robert" in the spring or summer of 1719 for the city of Boston.
I'm having a lot of fun practicing my pronunciation of Ockadooey. 
Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 November 12 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Know who you mean now.

This is the sort of error found on the internet and in published histories- "Among the places harried by the troopers of James II was the beautiful village of Aghadowey, in County Antrim. It lies on the West side of the river Bann as it curves in its course from Lough Meagh to the Atlantic, near Lough Foyle and the Giant's Causeway, through one of the loveliest districts in the north of Ireland."
Aghadowey isn't a village and is in Co. Londonderry not Antrim. Should be Lough Neagh and Bann mouth is near Coleraine.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~savecarp/blairbook03.html

The thatched house under my username is near the site of the old Aghadowey Presbyterian Church where Rev. McGregor left with a large portion of his congregation, and others, to go to America.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 12 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    The Rev McGregor, in the early 1700s,  hired 5 ships and sailed from the Port of Londonderry with many of his congregation to Boston. They disagreed with the Test Act which required ministers of religion to swear that they had taken communion according to the rights of the Anglican Church before they could administer any sacrament. The Aghadowey Presbyterians founded the City of Londonderryand the town of Derry in New Hampshire (I think).

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 November 12 22:09 GMT (UK) »
McGregor's church was in East Derry (now Congregationalist)-
http://www.livingplaces.com/NH/Rockingham_County/Derry_Town/East_Derry_Historic_District.html
We've been to New Hampshire a few times over the years and wandered through the graveyard is all sorts of bitter cold weather.
His son David's church (Presbyterian) is in nearby Londonderry-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McGregore

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 October 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
I read this brief back and forth between America and Ireland with interest, having just discovered it. our family ancestors include the same Rachel Boyd and her spouse James Blair, of Aghadowey, Londonderry and Robert, the son who eventually settled in Nova Scotia, Canada.
I note the information here that Rachel was the daughter of Lord Boyd and Catherine Crayke of Kilmarnock, and have seen this other places however I have been searching for a couple of weeks and have found only one list of his children and that does not include Rachel. If someone could let me know, even privately, the source for Rachel's placement within that family in Kilmarnock, I would be most grateful. Thank you
Heath, Moody, Attwood, King, Baker, Haysman, in Dartford or Chatham Kent
Heath, Moody in Marylebone and Paddington, London
O'Keefe or Keefe in Plaistow