Author Topic: 8th (Midlands) Parachute Battalion COMPLETED  (Read 5606 times)

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
8th (Midlands) Parachute Battalion COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 22 November 12 18:19 GMT (UK) »
While researching some family connections I came across Lance Sergeant Reginald Elwell, my 1st cousin 2x removed. He was killed on the 13 June 1943 "On Active Service". Trying to find out more, I Googled his name and regiment and found that many of his comrades also died on the same day. Nothing strange about that but, what did arouse my curiosity was the fact that, in all cases, the "theatre of war" was given as UK. Does anyone have an idea about the circumstances were that led to so many men from the same Battalion dying on the same day in the UK?

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline sharki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 8th (Midlands) Parachute Battalion
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Tony,
The only info I can find is reference to two accidents during 1943. One was on a night practice drop in Scotland when a stick of eight parachutists were accidentally dropped over the sea and all but one were drowned. The second incident occured when another stick of eight were lost when their aircraft flew into high ground in the south of England. I have not been able to ascertain a specific date for either incident, but this would appear to relate to your enquiry.
Bomber Command 39/45.
Malaya Emergency

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 November 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
CWGC website http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2712969/ELWELL,%20REGINALD

Son of Thomas and Nellie Elwell, of Heath Town, Wolverhampton; husband of Ada Elwell, of Heath Town.
Buried Heath Town, Staffordshire, so his body was probably brought home for burial.

There are only a handful of 1943 burials there and none that would link with your man.

Running a search for deaths on that specific date brought up a group of men from that unit, all buried as far as I can see in their home churchyard or cemetery. These were a Major, a Lieutenant, the Lance Serjeant, a Corporal, a Lance Corporal and three Privates.

Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 November 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Looks like this is the tale....http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/68/a8714568.shtml

My nagging doubt is the distribution of ranks in this group....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 12 01:02 GMT (UK) »

Sharki, I did wonder about a training excercise accident and I think your post does tend to confirm that. I did come across one death on Google that stated that a 19yr old drowned in Scotland whilst on a training exercise but didn't realise that there were two accidents. Thanks for the input.

Graham, I have found out that Reginald's body was returned to his family for burial, which took place at his local church of Holy Trinity, Heath Town. I have also been lucky enough to find a picture of his gravestone on-line. I'm waitng for a reply from the church on another query regarding earlier members of the Elwell family and hope to visit the churchyard and grave sites once they get back to me. It would be interesting to find out the dates of both accidents to identify where Reg. died. Thanks for your info.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 November 12 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Thirty years later

http://www.paradata.org.uk/units/15th-battalion-parachute-regiment-15-para-sv

The more we move on the more we stay the same.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline AndyBaldEagle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 November 12 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Tony

I am due to be visiting the National Archives for a week in January 2013. As my interest is in Airborne Forces I can tell you that the War Diary for 8th Parachute Battalion is under reference WO 169/10350.

I was not intending on this particular visit to copy any war diaries but can put this on my list of things to do if you so wish. I do intend to copy numerous War Diaries in due course but that is a long term project.

I have also had a quick look in 'Though Without Anger' by Colin Cummings but there are no air crashes shown for the 13th June....if I/we can identify which squadron was carrying these troops then the ORB's are available to be downloaded, or I may already have them.

Regards

Andy

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 November 12 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Reginald's death was registered in Scotland under the district of Dunbarney and Dron, near Perth.  The image of the register entry can be viewed on Scotlandspeople and printed off for, I think, about £7 or a certified extract can be ordered from GROS, either direct or through Scotlandspeople, for £12.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 November 12 10:24 GMT (UK) »
It's possible that the death was registered at Bridge of Earn Emergency Hospital, one of several hospitals established in Scotland at the beginning of WW2.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)