Author Topic: 8th (Midlands) Parachute Battalion COMPLETED  (Read 5616 times)

Offline katiespitfire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 8th (Midlands) Parachute Battalion
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 November 12 11:08 GMT (UK) »
There's still an annual reunion at Hardwick Hall and many veterans attend. It might be worth you finding out when it is and popping along. I helped out at one a few years ago and it was a really lovely day.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: 8th (Midlands) Parachute Battalion COMPLETED
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 November 12 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies.

I'm inclined, after a night's sleep, to go with the accident in Scotland as the date of the death of one of the victims is the same as my 1st cousins and his obit states "drowned while on training exercise in Scotland". The fact that the death, as IMBER has put, was registered in Scotland more or less confirms it.

Andy, the report that Graham found is interesting. It seems, rather than being a crash, one of the planes on the exercise overshot the target dropzone, the sun shone on the green light, and the men jumped. Sadly, they were over the Firth of Tay, one can only imagine that the weight of their kit would have given them little chance of survival in the water. The War Diary report would be interesting, but only if you have time, and certainly not at the expense of any other research you have planned.

katiespitfire, interesting that the reunion is at Hardwick Hall as Bess of Hardwick (fascinating woman, and well worth reading about) is a distant ancestor of my wife Lynn. We visited the Hall earlier this year - magnificent!

I think this one can be put to bed now. Thanks to everyone for your help and input. I'll mark it completed but if you have any other info you can post it on here as I'll keep checking back. Or you can send me a PM

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 November 12 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Cost of cert on scotlandspeople would prob cost 6 credits

30 credits cost £7.00 cost per cert about £1.40

Bridge of Earn Hospital opened in 1939 and closed in 1992/3

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 November 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Bruce, I'll bear that in mind, and thanks for the info on the Hospital.

After reading the story on Graham's second reply, it does make one more than a little aware of certain dates and numbers - Fri 13th, 13 planes!!

Tony

Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline katiespitfire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 November 12 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Bess certainly was a character, 'Hardwick Hall, more glass than wall' read an excellent book on her last year.
Good luck with your research.
K

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: 8th (Midlands) Parachute Battalion- final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 July 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
I've just been contacted via email by Bernard and Fay Robins in France, who collate Para records, and who picked up my search via this board.
They learned, from an ExPara who knew Reg, that he was hit by a falling container which fractured his skull. He died that night from his injuries.
That is the final piece of this particular jigsaw - but I doubt that it will be the last puzzle I come across!
Thanks to everyone for their input and interest - it's what makes this forum the best!  :)

Tony

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
There may be something of interest in the units war diary

WO 169/10350 8 Parachute Regiment 1943 Jan.- Dec

Offline Wormit1306

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,
           Hope you get this. I, too, have been researching this incident since my mother witnessed it. I now have a lot of the details, but not all. Please get in touch. Kindest regards.

Michael