Author Topic: DO ANGUS/DUNDEE MUSEUMS PURCHASE WAR MEDALS?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline arasandkered

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DO ANGUS/DUNDEE MUSEUMS PURCHASE WAR MEDALS?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dod, Thanks for your post.  Much appreciated.

Regards Sarah
Argyll - From Mull to Oban - McTavish/McGilvray/McFadyen/Carmichael/McKenzie/McIntyre/McKinnon/McDougall/McLean
Kilfinan - McLachlan & Ferguson
Angus -  Baird, Hird, Findlay & Reid
Midlothian - Marquis & Johnston
Glasgow - Hunter/Buchanan/Kennedy

Offline nemesis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
did you ever see the photo of J Baird wearing his MC?

quote author=arasandkered link=topic=625426.msg6010541#msg6010541 date=1468988158]
Hi Marian, Nice to hear from you.  Joseph Baird b. 1884 Montrose was the second child and son of Joseph and his wife Isabella Hird both natives of Montrose, Angus.  He died on 3 October 1954 at his home, 51 King St, Montrose.  On 25 July 1919 he married local girl, Annie Alexander.  Known children are Alexander about 1920 who received the Military Medal in WW2 and George born 1925.

An article in the Courier 22 August 1916 read "Company Sergeant Major Joseph Baird, Black Watch is the first Montrose non commissioned officer to be awarded the Military Cross.  "He has set a fine example of courage and control on many occasions under heavy fire".  He is the son of Mrs Baird, 38 Castle St, Montrose and was mobilised as a Territorial on the outbreak of war.  He has been at the front since October 1914 and rejoined for service on the expiry of his time in December last.  He is well known as a referee and official of Montrose Club in football circles.  Prior to going on service, CSM Baird was a foreman in Chapel Works, Montrose.  Quite recently he rescued a wounded comrade belonging to the Royal Sussex who was lying within a few yards of German trenches".

Attached is a copy of the article which has a photo.  I have more newspaper articles if you would like copies.  Unfortunately I have been unable to locate Joseph's WW1 Service Record on Ancestry however according to one article his regimental no. was:

The Courier, Monday August 21, 1916 Page 3 under heading: Scottish Heroes are Rewarded for Gallant Deeds on Field of Battle The following Scottish officers and men are included in a long list of honours for gallantry: - Military Cross - 1142 Company Sergeant-Major Joseph Baird, Royal Highlanders for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He has set a fine example of courage and control on many occasions under very heavy fire.

I would love to receive a copy of the photo you mention together with any other information you might have on Joseph.  My husband's grandfather James (1894-1946) was Joseph's younger brother.
[/quote]

Offline nemesis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
marian  could you post the picture of J Baird wearing the MC

Thanks 

Hello, Sarah,

I have recently come across a photo taken at Oxford in October 1917 of a Sergeant Major Baird of the Black Watch wearing medals, including a military cross.  I am trying to pin down an identification, and it seems likely that it is Joseph Baird.  I would be happy to exchange information with you and, if I can figure out how to do it, would be glad to send a copy of the photo.  Can you tell me a bit more about "your" Joseph Baird?

Many thanks!
--Marian

Offline arasandkered

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 June 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Max,

I think I have sent two replies but not sure whether they have gone through.  If you don't get a response please let me know.

Regards Sarah
Argyll - From Mull to Oban - McTavish/McGilvray/McFadyen/Carmichael/McKenzie/McIntyre/McKinnon/McDougall/McLean
Kilfinan - McLachlan & Ferguson
Angus -  Baird, Hird, Findlay & Reid
Midlothian - Marquis & Johnston
Glasgow - Hunter/Buchanan/Kennedy