Author Topic: Family Living in Dublin 1860-1900  (Read 20136 times)

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Living in Dublin 1860-1900
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I am a bit slow on the uptake, now that I have sat down and read through all the emails it is starting to make sense. I will have write down all the information to see which way it is going. My Irish side of the family tree has just increase. Will there be any point in looking for what Christopher was in prison in 1903 for, and what happen to him in 1901-1911 censuses. One more died end was the Christopher Archbold born 1872 Dublin living in America I have his marriage cert; different father.
It doe's not help with  the surname of Archbold when they add an i and change the o to an a
Thank you for all the help given me lots to think about.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
don't worry we hit you with alot of info there
Christopher's record; the original will have very little additional data but it all helps e.g. confirming addresses and locations or next-of-kins etc. The reference to Flusk is because the next of kin is Mrs. Flusk, same address.

There is a death in 1923 that is possibly him; the fact that he is not obvious on the census could be for several reasons' he purposely did not want to be counted, he was at an address that is not online (there are a few), he was in a hospital/institution and is shown as his initials, etc.

His death cert unfortunately will have very little information to connect him to his family unless they are named as an informant on it.

I have seen the records on line from the US but he is definitely another man with a diferent date of birth when you investigate.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

I wouldn't worry too much about the offence.  It was trivial and I think the listing of both sentence and fine means that he could just pay up and so may not have done time at all.

The value of the criminal records is that the later ones give a place of birth (which will only be as accurate as the person themselves knew) and a current address and next of kin.  The address confirms that this Christopher was the brother of the Elizabeth Archbold who married Thomas Flusk, although it only names her as Mrs Flusk.  Thomas got into trouble for minor offences on several occasions.  They also give a description of the accused.

The CoI marriage does not give as much detail as the catholic one so, by itself does not prove Mary is the same family, but the combination of father's name and being godparents to each other's children make it highly likely.

The variations in family name make it hard to be sure who was absent and who was just misrepresented on the census records but, if someone did happen to be locked up or even in hospital over the census night, they might be represented just by initials on an institution form, so very difficult to find.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Or an even better reason he was not always to be found easily in Dublin could be his service with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers!  Next of kin one older sister (Bessie Flusk) and two younger ones, Kate and Mary.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Well found DudleyWinchurch
Army records shown as as Christopher ARCHIBOLD
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 00:34 GMT (UK) »
The Oliver Archbold who died in 1892 seems to be buried at Glasnevin.
www.glasnevintrust.ie

it looks as though this guy was  living at 21 Lombard Street (from the Glasnevin site), but check that for yourself

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 00:39 GMT (UK) »
How on earth do you find all this information---
I have tried to look for the Royal Dublin Fusiliers archive’s to see I can get his record or to have a look at Christopher’s record online is that where you found it

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Some of us although amateurs have been searching for our own families for a while
We have "experience" to guide us in some cases built up from our, or at least MY, many mistakes.

I looked at his army record on paid site F***myP***.co.uk
They have four pages from his army records; forms that had to be filled in when he joined in Jan 1891
Further generations:

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Same here, and using same on-line resources.  The military record is unfortunately not complete (a duplicate of the registration details and not a lot else) but with numbers etc. you could perhaps try regimental diaries for more)

An extra part of the intrigue for me is that when "Bessie" married, her parents were living next door to some of my family.  However, I haven't found any more direct links between the two families, but they surely must have known each other.