Author Topic: Family Living in Dublin 1860-1900  (Read 20125 times)

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Living in Dublin 1860-1900
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 December 12 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I am now up to date with Christopher service records and his sister’s records. Just a little thing that is odd he has Kate as younger sister on the record, she died 1938 in Durham her age 72 which would make birth about 1866 which would be Christopher older sister, her name is down as Catherina.
 The question is what is the next step, if we say the marriage was in Wexford may be Oliver and Maria where born there. On the LDS site I can order a film of births 1646-1858, marriage 1678-1862 deaths 1653- 1859 Register of transcripts Wexford Monthly meeting is this my next step or is there a better way. I can order the film but with Christmas and New Year and living in Tasmania I will not see it till next March.
 I would like say thank you for all the passed help and for any help (I hope) in the further.
Jeff

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 December 12 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I think that LDS film you mentioned might refer to a parish in Wexford town...  one detail to watch out for is that 'Wexford' can mean the county, or town.

I think there was some mention of Co. Wexford and Gorey earlier, which is a town about 50km to the north of Wexford town - that marriage mentioned for Oliver and Maria was in Camolin parish, which is about 11km south west of Gorey

Wexford town to Camolin and Gorey  (Google map)

I think maybe double check which parish, or parishes, you are interested in before ploughing through films...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 December 12 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I am a little bit further down the track; I have a print out of Marriages for Camolin Parish 1853-1869
It has Oliverium Archbold married Marian Murphy in 15/7/1860 Oliver came from Townland Ballintim  the same for Maria Ballintim and 6 years later there is  Richardum Hinch that came from the Townland Moneycross he  married Catherinam Archbold that came from Townland Ballintim These two you would think are brother and sister. Nothing shows up when looking for films or any online sites   for the  Parish details for these two places
Question On the print out the biggest percentage of men’s first name has UM added---
Richardum, Edwardum, Patricum, Danielum and so on, with the ladies first name’s  AM is added
 What is a reason for that?
 Jeff

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 08 December 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Is this an RC parish?  If so details were usually entered in Latin.  They didn't usually change family names but first names were presented in standard Latin format which has different forms for male and female words.

The thing to be wary of is that, if you find, say Maria/m then it may mean Mary or it may mean Maria.
The name would be Maria for the child but Mariam (of Maria) if it was the mother's name.

.. and not all the priests seemed to have been great at Latin so sometimes you get a mixture of endings, just to make it look like Latin  :)
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 08 December 12 09:43 GMT (UK) »
........in 15/7/1860 Oliver came from Townland Ballintim  the same for Maria Ballintim and 6 years later there is  Richardum Hinch that came from the Townland Moneycross he  married Catherinam Archbold that came from Townland Ballintim These two you would think are brother and sister. Nothing shows up when looking for films or any online sites   for the  Parish details for these two places

Ballintim townland consists of just over 178 acres and is located in the civil parish of Toome, and about 4km north of the town of Camolin. It came under the Poor Law Union, and later the registration district, of Gorey.

see : Tomb/Toome Civil Parish (Lewis 1837)

Ballintim townland was covered by Camolin RC parish.

Two of the    Archbold entries mentioned in an earlier re Griffith's valuation dated 1853 are in Toome parish - one in Ballinree townland, and the other (Edward) in Ballintim townland. So looks like that could match up with the marriages you mentioned - i.e. possible father to Oliver & Catherine.

(There doesn't seem to be any Archbolds listed in the townland on the earlier Tithe records.)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 March 13 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello
 With all the help I receive with my last piece of family history, came you please point me in the right direction with William Patrick Flood born 1926 Dublin North. He left Dublin at the age of 17 moved to Nottinghamshire married Margaret Greenberry in 1947 had four children then moved to Australia. As both William and Margaret are no longing living I am hoping William may have had brothers and sister’s born in Dublin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 March 13 07:54 GMT (UK) »
...point me in the right direction with William Patrick Flood born 1926 Dublin North. He left Dublin at the age of 17 moved to Nottinghamshire married Margaret Greenberry in 1947 had four children then moved to Australia.

What certs do you have on William ?

his marriage cert should show his father's name & occupation, which is one of the clues you need to identify the correct family, you can can use this to confirm a match to his birth cert which would show both parent's names and William's place of birth. Once you have these details you can start searching the BMD Index for possible birth matches for siblings, and order the certs to see if they match the clues, i.e. parents and possibly address, and therefore be siblings for William.

Births after about 1927 on the online BMD Index include mother's maiden surname, which would help narrow down the search if William had younger siblings. Searching for the marriage for the parents can help with the timeline.

These are the Index references for the marriage in Newark district (Lincolnshire / Nottinghamshire) you mentioned in case you need to order a cert :

Marriages Quarter/Year: Dec / 1947
  Bride & Groom : Margaret J. Greenberry & William P Flood
  Registration District: Newark   
  Volume : 3c / Page: 679

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:46 GMT (UK) »
... with William Patrick Flood born 1926 Dublin North....

as you state Dublin North I presume you have the civil reference at least if not the actual birth cert for William; with this you would have both parents names and address details

This would allow you search for a marriage and pin point a start date for siblings and reasonably calculate an end date for younger siblings (based on assumed mother's age)

You can visit the GRO offices in Dublin to look for yourself as the paper records show the mother's maiden name for earlier records than on-line; or you can apply to the GRO in Roscommon for them to search for all births to these parents within that time frame.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:53 GMT (UK) »
had four children then moved to Australia. As both William and Margaret are no longing living

p.s. if William died in Australia his death cert would probably show the names of his parents, which might be another way to establish their details..
My Surname Interests