Author Topic: What is a "Carlick"?  (Read 6920 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is a "Carlick"?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 November 15 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm Suffolk born and bred and originally from a farming family. I have always seen it with the Charlock spelling but always pronounced it Carlick.  Yes, it is definitely the common weed wild mustard which grows about 1-2ft when mature.
Before sprays were used to eradicate the unwanted weeds which competed with the grain etc. many smallish seeds such as corn cockle, wild oats and mustard would ripen and fall before harvest. In the days of cheap labour on farms it was common for agricultural labourer's wives and children to be hired to pull weeds in corn fields whilst men would hoe crops like sugar beet. I remember watching this in the 60s and even very young children of 3 or 4 would be left on the field's headlands to play, whilst the mums walked in line abreast across the field and back, pulling taller weeds.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 November 15 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hookleg - I see you have Grimwoods from the Bury St Edmunds area in your tree.  I have Grimwoods from Brettenham in mine.  Any possible connection?

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 November 15 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greensleeves, I know this is not about Carlick but in reply to your enquiry about Grimwood/wades, have you looked at the website :- http://www.grimwoodons.webspace.virginmedia.com/trees.html

My tree is tree 19. Yours may be tree 4.
All the best.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 November 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
When I was a kid (and this was only 1970s),

BTW, history buffs might also be interested the web pages I've created about Queen Mary's Lane that runs through our farm http://www.homefarmparham.co.uk/,

Welcome to rootschat Bob.
Thanks for the invite to visit your web site.  A very interesting history lesson regarding the Lane and I especially enjoyed reading the potted history of your father's life in Germany and England.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke