Author Topic: Fetteresso Cemetery - Look up  (Read 9159 times)

Offline Maggie64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fetteresso Cemetery - Look up
« on: Tuesday 27 November 12 16:20 GMT (UK) »
hello friends
I am stuck in Canada, but I would love to know if anybody would be happy to take photo of my 5th great grandparent's gravestone at Fetteresso cemetery in Fetteresso, Aberdeenshire.  Lair # 335 for me.
My ancestors -  Matthew Rae (Rea) who died on April 16 1828, and his wife Elisabeth Clark who died on May 12 1851.   Is it possible for you to check out and take photo of their gravestone in Fetteresso for me please?  Please let me know.  Many thanks

Maggie

Offline Maggie64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fetteresso Cemetery - Look up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
one more thing,  also Elisabeth's parent James Clark and Isobella Anderson were buried in the same lair at Fetteresso Cemetery as well.

Many thanks again.
cherrio
Maggie

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Maggie,  Colin Milne has a lovely web site with local history of the area that you are interested in and he may be a good contact for you.  Scotland is a bit wet at the moment due to excessive rainfall but that will pass I am sure.

Best wishes,  nw_whiskers

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nescotland/
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline Maggie64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 12 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Good morning frae Canada,
Thank you nw-whiskers for the link that I will check them out soon.  thank you so much very much appreciate it very much.

I wish you all very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and everyone on Rootschat.
Happy Hogmanay... big cheers with some drinks frae me...

cherrio Maggie

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 December 12 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie
Just home from a visit to Stonehaven, where my husband and son helped to find and photograph the stone once the weather had improved a bit. I hope this transcript is accurate, as the light wasn't good for reading old gravestones. I haven't had time to download the photos yet.

1829. Erected by Elisabeth Clark in memory of her husband Matthew Rae who died 16th April 1828 aged 64 years. Also their son John who died in infancy. Also of her father James Clark who died in 1808 aged 63yr. And Isobela Anderson his wife who died in 1810 aged 80(60?) years.  The above Elisabeth Clark died 5th Dec. 1851 aged 84 years. Also their daughter Catherine Rae who died 12th Feb. 1858 aged 64 years.Also their son Alexander Rae who died 7th Sept. 1880 aged 79 years. And his wife Ann Stronach who died 1st Aug. 1891 aged 75 years.
Not lost but gone before.

Best wishes, Isabel H
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Maggie64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 December 12 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Isabel H
I am so delighted to know that you have visited Fetteresso Cemetery to find my ancestor's gravestone with some help from your husband and your son.  Thank you so much and I love that tiny town of Stonehaven where I had a lovely coffee at cafe while we were on holiday recently with my husband who visited Scotland for first time, he fell in love with the beauty of Scotland, I wish that we stopped by in Fetteresso but we were on rush to visit Crathes Castle after having some coffee in Stonehaven same day, also I was disappointed that we were supposed to go to see Dunnottar Castle but the road were blocked on that day oh well, next time we will come back to visit Scotland in 2014.  I canna wait to see the photo of the gravestone that you found at cemetery.  Many thanks from my heart, and I am so happy that you took the time to check out on that.  Thank you so much for provided me the reading information on the gravestone that is great.  Hope that weather in Bonnie Scotland is getting better now.   
Thank you for your time.   Cherrio and wish you all the best in 2013.

Cherrio Maggie

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 December 12 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear Maggie & Isabel H,  I am so pleased that you got the Transcript from the Headstone in spite of the wet weather in Scotland at the moment.  I have been in a few Churchyard Headstone reading hunts and know ONLY too well the problems that Isabel H was facing.  On your knees with cold and wet hands trying to get a camera to work ... it is no easy task.  Anyway, we look forward to the pictures.  I am not connected to Fetteresso as far as I know but have passed it a few times over the years but will probably go for the coffee as you have kindled my interest for sure.

Best wishes to both of you,  nw_whiskers
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 December 12 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, not working out as planned. I'll try again
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 December 12 22:03 GMT (UK) »
OK, hopefully this should work as I intended.
Here are links to 3 photos of the headstone for you to download from Dropbox:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5168710/IMG_8383.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5168710/IMG_8378.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5168710/IMG_8381.JPG

Let me know if it works ok.

The stone is in the old kirkyard at Kirkton of Fetteresso. If you visit in future, go in the gate and walk straight ahead, parallel with the road outside, until you are approximately level with the gable end of the ruined church.

Isabel
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire