Author Topic: Morfa Bychan 1880  (Read 3417 times)

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morfa Bychan 1880
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Anyone think there's a chance that John Sr. was "John Emrys-Jones", he married an Annie Jones, and Emry's was John Sr's mother's maiden name?

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Forgot to say, 1881 census gives Celynnin as place of birth of all the family. Doesn't say the county. Unfortunately there's more than one Celynnin/Llangelynnin.
Emyr

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 November 12 00:07 GMT (UK) »
The family quoted for John Jones(1869) and Emrys Jones(1871) do track back  to Pentre at the appropriate time:-

1871  5384  56  9

I can't find any evidence that John is born John Emrys Jones,and he doesn't appear in the family census data as such but perhaps the old maxim applies "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence".

It's probably a coincidence but there is also a marriage of Annie Jones to Emrys Jones in Pontypridd registration district in 1925.

Regards
Roger

Offline Michaelemrys

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 September 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin
I think we've clarified this some years ago, but I just came across your posts re my grandparents: John and Annie Jones. And they are of course Ceridwen's and my father John's parents.
Great research by you and others. My father was John Emrys ( first names) Jones. Emrys came from his uncle I'm pretty sure - one of John senior's brothers.   As you say, my father added Emrys to Jones and made that the surname sometime after my birth in 1942.
Annie was also a Jones. And from Morfa Buchan.  She and John snr. married in Wandsworth. They moved to Pentre in the Rhondda valley of South Wales in the late 1930s I think. Annie, according to Ceridwen, claimed descent from a Baron Owen. I've not traced this. All best. Michael